Gareth Southgate

LoyalRanger_72

In his time as England manager, Southgate has only won 4 out of 26 when England have come up against a team ranked in the top 10. The teams you’ll absolutely come up against and have to beat in order to win those tournaments.

Exactly why they’ll win nothing under him. His limited managerial ability has been exposed time and time again against the likes of France, Belgium, Italy etc.

Hard to disagree to be honest.

Yes he's taken them to a major final but everytime they come up against it, they fall short. He just seems too rigid in his approach, always two defensive midfielders and a very negative approach.

On paper England are one of, if not the best in Europe, so they should just go out and play. But he's just not got it in him to do it.

I think they'll come up short again in the summer, mainly due to him and his stubbornness.

He’ll be out by July and replaced by Jose Mourinho.

Southgate will go well as a club manager when he does leave England as well.

It's the usual stuff with England. They scud some ex-soviet Disputed Zones and San Marino 6-0, get a lucky draw against Sweden or some jobbers like that, then a proper team like France dismantle them. Looking forward to the pattern repeating in the summer but I doubt it'll be as absolutely hilarious an ending as the last Euros, sadly.

When they had the Euro final and trophy in their hands and then Southgate retreated, shat himself and they threw it away - that was the moment to get rid of him. You just knew then that they would win nothing under him with his approach and he had completely blown the final.

The players have the talent and are good enough to win the Euro's this year by just largely ignoring his poxy instructions.

Go out and win it lads. Nevermind about Southgate's pish. He'll be gone after the tournament anyway.

When they had the Euro final and trophy in their hands and then Southgate retreated, shat himself and they threw it away - that was the moment to get rid of him. You just knew then that they would win nothing under him with his approach and he had completely blown the final.

The players have the talent and are good enough to win the Euro's this year by just largely ignoring his poxy instructions.

Go out and win it lads. Nevermind about Southgate's pish. He'll be gone after the tournament anyway.

I just can't see players willing to run through walls for Southgate. He's looks like a trendy Vicar, and acts like one.

His most memorable performance for me.

To be fair to him, there has been many England managers over the years who have had some of the best players in the world at their disposal that just can't take the national team to the next level.

Possibly the players not mentally strong enough to handle the pressure put on them by the English media?

There are not that many good English managers.

However England would be better by replacing him with Graham Potter.

They say that places like Germany are better at producing managers than England because they have better formal training.

The formal training for football coaches in the UK is not very good.

In his time as England manager, Southgate has only won 4 out of 26 when England have come up against a team ranked in the top 10. The teams you’ll absolutely come up against and have to beat in order to win those tournaments.

Exactly why they’ll win nothing under him. His limited managerial ability has been exposed time and time again against the likes of France, Belgium, Italy etc.

So it's got nothing to do with the players not being good enough? Being over rated? Just like their over financed, farce of a league?

There are not that many good English managers.

However England would be better by replacing him with Graham Potter.

They say that places like Germany are better at producing managers than England because they have better formal training.

The formal training for football coaches in the UK is not very good.

Being a manager/coach has sod all to do with training.

You either have it or you don't. A fucking badge from the FA doesn't make you a manager.

Hard to disagree to be honest.

Yes he's taken them to a major final but everytime they come up against it, they fall short. He just seems too rigid in his approach, always two defensive midfielders and a very negative approach.

On paper England are one of, if not the best in Europe, so they should just go out and play. But he's just not got it in him to do it.

I think they'll come up short again in the summer, mainly due to him and his stubbornness.
He also lost them Jamal Musiala

The issue with Southgate started in 2018.

A first semi final in 28 years at the World Cup.

It was a cause for rejoicing. Men wearing Southgate style waste coats.

Ignore the fact it only took Colombia and Sweden to be beaten in the knockouts.

Then Croatia in the semis. Croatia are good. But England will never get a more favourable semi final opposition than Croatia.

It didn’t happen. 3 years on. A first final since 1966. A loss at home they should have won.

The subsequent years have shown us where Italy really are.

I can’t believe he survived the 2022 World Cup when England reverted to the mean of QF Elimination

They have great players that should be attacking teams but instead Southgate has them playing a defensive game.

So it's got nothing to do with the players not being good enough? Being over rated? Just like their over financed, farce of a league?
In previous years I'd have agreed but now, a squad containing the likes of Bellingham, Foden, Kane, Walker, Stones etc should be expected to go far.

Southgate is the reason they won’t win it, continuing to play the same players the same way with the same tactics, while other top managers are absolutely schooling him.
They barely laid a glove on Belgium last night and every phase of play looked ponderous.

Good, give him the job for life.

I hope the insufferable cants never win a fukin thing in my lifetime :)

He's had, and continues to enjoy probably England's greatest ever generation in terms of squad depth. It could be argued though, that they are showing signs of regression under Southgate and could potentially miss out on a mojot trophy because of him. The FA won't pull the trigger and replace him with a big name through, too terrified of a repeat of the Sven/Capello fiascos.

He’s a reactive manager. When do you ever see England go for it, not gung ho, but property control games or take risks unless they’re bulling some dross like Lichtenstein?
He ticks all the political boxes, a classic yes man, that’s the only reason he is still there. He has no gravitas, no personality, character or aura about him. Hes beige.
Unfortunately the fa want yes men like him as they’re paralysed in case the do or say the wrong thing.

I've said this for a while mate.

Comparatively speaking, he’s a bit like Clarke in that he’s tended to exceed expectations without ever playing what you’d call scintillating football.

I just think it’s a mentality thing. The English in general are too conservative in their approach and it’s a big part of why they never win anything.

At the same time, there’s always that indefatigable tendency from the English media to overblow their chances which everyone seems to get caught up in.

They have some superb players, as they always tend to do, but the quality isn’t there right throughout the team and that’s what usually sees them coming up short.

I suspect it will be the same again this summer.

He’s done a good job to an extent but he is to soft and lacks that aggression to get the team over the line.

But like Sven when he didn’t have the balls to drop either Lampard or Gerrard to have a defensive minded midfielder in that golden era team.

Southgate is the don’t rock the boat middle management HR / PR boss not a football manager , the guy who only got the job as the other guy got caught taking brown envelopes

Given the talent at englands disposal and the poor current crop at the usual powerhouses (Germans / Spanish/italians / Brazil etc) there has never been an easier time to win something , and he still couldn’t do it

The guy is the luckiest guy alive, would be hilarious if he does end up at man United boss , will be totally found out at club level once again,

Pickford, Stones, Rice, Bellingham, Kane
Is the best spine at the tournament and is why they will still be in the hunt right at the death.
Will they beat a France in a final or tournament ready hosts Germany? Be tough

England on paper have a phenomenal team

One of my English mates said Southgate has the keys to a Ferrari but drives it like a Skoda

I’d say that’s about right. Seems far too negative / cautious for me. Talent galore in that squad, England need a manager who knows how to let them use it positively.

In qualifying groups for major tournaments England always seem to get easier draws.

Or am I just imagining that?

Hes a very pragmatic manager, all the talent in the world in that squad now, play with a swagger aswel with the likes of fodden & Bellingham, Belgium are no mugs & both their goals come from mistakes, at that level they count.

In qualifying groups for major tournaments England always seem to get easier draws.

Or am I just imagining that?
It certainly feels like it, obviously helps that they’ll be top seeds. More to the point even in tournament groups it feels like they get an easy ride, hence the momentum builds until they play some half decent and are shocked when they get beat.

He has some very talented players going forward. Still think they lack any real quality at the back and that's the reason for the cautious approach.

Couldn't beat Croatia in a world cup semi after a fairly easy run to it. Thought that was poor. Done well at the Euros but fluffed the final albeit against a very good side tbf. He's just way too cautious and his team suffers for it.

Without looking I could imagine that would be similar to most of Englands recent managers, they have always tended to come up short against the better nations and maybe not as good as they think/appear to be.
Having Bellingham and Kane they seem to think they are world beaters but on the international stage you need minimum

Top keeper

2 top defenders

2 top midfielders

2 top attackers

They have the later 2 but their defence is mince full stop, is Foden and Rice capable of getting into the France squad?

They will win nothing

Having Bellingham and Kane they seem to think they are world beaters but on the international stage you need minimum

Top keeper

2 top defenders

2 top midfielders

2 top attackers

They have the later 2 but their defence is mince full stop, is Foden and Rice capable of getting into the France squad?

They will win nothing

Argentina won the World Cup and had nothing like that in their side nor did Italy when they won the Euros.

Top keeper

2 top defenders

2 top midfielders

2 top attackers

They will win nothing
Rubbish! England have a team to beat anyone in Europe its the manager thats the problem.

He’s a good Yes Man and likes talking up whatever woke initiative the FA are pushing.

Basically a job for as long as he wants it.

It's the usual stuff with England. They scud some ex-soviet Disputed Zones and San Marino 6-0, get a lucky draw against Sweden or some jobbers like that, then a proper team like France dismantle them. Looking forward to the pattern repeating in the summer but I doubt it'll be as absolutely hilarious an ending as the last Euros, sadly.

I can only think of Hungary who have dismantled England under Southgate? Which ex soviet nations have we played under him as well? Think it’s Ukraine and nobody else.

The issue with Southgate started in 2018.

A first semi final in 28 years at the World Cup.

It was a cause for rejoicing. Men wearing Southgate style waste coats.

Ignore the fact it only took Colombia and Sweden to be beaten in the knockouts.

Then Croatia in the semis. Croatia are good. But England will never get a more favourable semi final opposition than Croatia.

It didn’t happen. 3 years on. A first final since 1966. A loss at home they should have won.

The subsequent years have shown us where Italy really are.

I can’t believe he survived the 2022 World Cup when England reverted to the mean of QF Elimination

Denmark were a weaker side than Croatia, played them in a semi.

A team moulded in his image: passive and boring. Only got the job because he wouldn’t rock the boat after big Sam’s embarrassment.

Wasting a player like Bellingham should be grounds for banishment

People will use the fact he even got England to a final as a defense for him but I remember the final well. That Italy side were so beatable and England went ahead after about 2 minutes..after that it was such a pedestrian and negative performance that they deserved to get beat in the end. That approach has to stop with the manager and since that final its been more of the same in the bigger games. Not good enough.

A little like me , all the best ingredients sitting right there , but can’t cook worth a toss .

Latest posts

Back