Gary O’Neill to be interviewed by Liverpool for the managers job

Arne Slot at Feyenoord seems to be the favourite now, but he's probably the fifth or sixth favourite there's been already.

Funny to think that he was a trialist in a Miseren friendly Game for my local German Club not to long ago (and was not even signed).

Reactions: VGM
He has done a good job where he is but for me this would be too big a jump in level at the moment. He needs a club ,unlike Wolves, where he is under pressure to win trophies and succeed before he should be considered for a job like Liverpool.

Liverpool have had arguably their best period in 40 years but barely one a trophy. I think they will nosedive once klopp is away .

Despite all the wealth in the League there it is somewhat reassuring that the most important person at a football club remains the manager; it was obviously the case decades ago, and just the same today. Liverpool have a task on their hands to replace Klopp; who knows, they may land on their feet with a replacement, but it is still a journey into the unknown for them when he leaves.

Liverpool seem to be struggling to get anyone.

I genuinely think if Gerrard had stayed here he would have been a shoe in now as they are looking at the Feyenoord, Sporting, Wolves managers.
Your probably right, fairly convinced he would have seen off Postecoglou in 21/22 and put them into a shambles.

If's buts and maybes though.

Liverpool seemingly to make a 9 million pound bid for Feyenoord coach Slot.

Will be rejected as he's still got a 2 year contract.

ESPN UK claiming Slot as the #1 target while Barcelona and Bayern also show interest.

I genuinely think if Gerrard had stayed here he would have been a shoe in now as they are looking at the Feyenoord, Sporting, Wolves managers.
Gerrard is fairly open now in saying he wishes he had never left us when he did.

The thing is , it’s a poisoned chalice now, just like when Ferguson left Man U , who ever takes the Liverpool job is on a hiding to nothing.
This. Anyone under serious consideration basically needs to decide whether they would like the job now or in a year or two after they’ve went through some cannon fodder.

You're neglecting that at the time Ten Hag had 2 or 3 times the budget of what Slot had.
Europa League final and a kick away from the Champions League final too.

Ten Hagg, regardless of budget, was about as perfect for Ajax as you could reasonably expect.

Slot not so much.

I don’t doubt they’ve considered him, maybe even talked to him or his representatives. It would be foolish not to cast a wide net with Barca, Bayern and other potential rivals for the same names this summer.

Can kinda understand why. Klopp has been there a long time, is hugely popular with the fans, won a league, a Champions League and a few cups. Big shoes to fill and this is Klopp's team, so you never know how his players will react to a new training regime, new tactics, new personality etc. I can see why any manager whose career is on an upward trajectory wouldn't want to take the risk.

Back