George Best documentary on Wednesday

Think I might have already seen this, if it's the one I'm thinking of its really good.
The Dalgliesh movie is also brilliant.

Thanks. Can't remember if I've seen this or not.

What he was and what he became are as far apart as any player could ever have been.

I remember his funeral. A miserable day. Surpassed by my Fathers death.

Went to his first Hibs game at Love St which was cash at the gate. The stadium was full and we were lucky to get seats in the stand. I think we ended up in the ones usually used for the players wives and the steward wasn’t happy but we weren’t moving.

Saw him play in his prime at Windsor Park quite a few times.
An indescribable buzz went around the ground every time he got on the ball.

“Remember me for the football”.

In the mid 90s was in a pub in London one afternoon and George with in with it was Alex i think it was.
The pub was quiet so i approached George with the usual sorry to bother you routine but could you sign this.
He seemed pleased someone had recognised him and happy to talk, he asked me if i was down on holiday and i told him i was working down there.
Anyway a short while later they got up to leave and George shouted over along the lines of see you later guys. Waving back and saying see you later George i felt 10 foot tall.

What a talent he had. I would think in today’s game he would have been even better, but I appreciate the argument that he wouldn’t have attained the necessary fitness if he was to have the same attitude to training etc.

What a talent he had. I would think in today’s game he would have been even better, but I appreciate the argument that he wouldn’t have attained the necessary fitness if he was to have the same attitude to training etc.
Watching some of his goals back he made it look like they were filming some cheesy football film and the defenders had been told to pretend to tackle him.

Dont think there are too many players about now who can beat men with such ease without relying on pace and power.

Things might have been different if he played now, different culture so he might not have gotten a chance to get used to that lifestyle but perhaps his life was sadly always destined to go one way regardless of the era

Watched it at the time and have set to record to watch again. Brilliant documentary.

The Diego Maradona film was on Channel 4 last week and you can watch on catch up. Was in cinemas last summer and covers his time in Napoli. Is up there with the best football documentaries I’ve ever seen.

I've heard figures involved at the time attest that he was an enthusiastic trainer in his early days at Man United, before he started drinking. Naturally right footed, he worked so hard at his left, that you could mistake him for being left footed in some footage.

Seemed to have a addictive personality that was his downfall. Sad story about his old mum as well.

Thanks OP. It's really good.
Colin Stein, George Best and Johan Cruyff were my heroes growing up, so I'll definitely be watching this again.

I met him at a Sportman's dinner in the mid 1990s.
I still have the autographed menu card.
A pal and I decided to go to a Man Utd game just before Christmas 1973. Not really sure why we chose that game but it ended up 2-3 to Coventry with one of Man Utds goals being scored by George Best .
It was the last goal he scored for them I think. A good game to choose.

He could take a tackle and there where some hard men playing back then.
You think of the pitches they played on and the weight of the ball and there boots.
What a player he would be today if he had the fitness to go with it.

Staunch tie worn by McMurdo. Seen Best playing for Hibs against us at Easter Road. Whilst Hibs won that day it was obvious that Best was done.

Back