Gerrard backs Kamara to be a 'monster'

Recoba

Official Ticketer
Steven Gerrard backs Rangers new boy Glen Kamara to be 'monster' in midfield
The January signing has impressed in his two games so far and Gerrard has enjoyed watching him.

(Image:Steven Gerrard reckons Glen Kamaracan become a midfield monster for Rangers on the evidence of his first two games.

The Light Blues boss admitted an impressive debut by the January signing from Dundee was lost in the frustration of a St Johnstone stalemate last weekend.

But Kamara followed that up with another influential performance in the 5-0 Scottish Cup rout of Kilmarnock which was bettered only by a four-goal show from Alfredo Morelos.
Gerrard believes the 23-year-old Finnish international has already shown he can be a huge player for Rangers ahead of Sunday’s trip to Hamilton.

The Ibrox gaffer said: “Glen was one of the few who stood out against St Johnstone and he went about his business really well.
“It was a strong debut but it was lost in such a poor performance around him. I told him in the dressing room I was pleased with his debut and that he looked very comfortable and looked like a Rangers player despite us drawing the game.

“He looked like a Rangers player and he took that performance into the Kilmarnock game and went up a level again.

“He’s a terrific footballer in possession, always playing with his head up and looking to connect defence and attack.
“But what pleased me most is what I spoke about when we signed him in terms of how he’ll be out of possession. Will he hunt the ball back, be aggressive, work hard for the team and be a monster in the middle of the park?

“He showed signs of that against Kilmarnock and potentially he can become a top midfielder.”
Gerrard has plenty of options in midfield and big-name January signing Steven Davis, who came on for the last 17 minutes against Killie, has found it difficult to break into the starting XI.
And the Gers boss said: “Steven Davis has missed a lot of football but he says he feels okay and he’s getting there and getting fitter.
“He’s happy to get minutes into his legs and he’s been training and pushing himself hard. We’re delighted to have him here and I’m sure he’s going to go on and get better and better and finish the season nice and strong.”

What impressed me is when he receives the ball he seems to relax immediately. He lights up, even in tight spaces against St.Johnstone, he held on to it and moved into space or passed to a team mate without any fuss.
Coulibaly can go back at the end of the season with my gratitude, we have that position covered.

There's certainly a comparable style of ball-winning and driving forward. Coulibaly was doing fine up until he was done by McGinn of St Boo was it? He's never fancied it since.

Coulibally is nowhere near as comfortable on the ball as Kamara.

I think Gerrard is probably a bit disappointed with the player he actually got with Coulibally. I suppose that's the benefit of loan deals.

For me it is early days yet in regard to Kamara, yes he was very good on wed. night in fact had the wee man not hit four I thought Kamara was our best, player by a distance.

He has looked superb has taken to it like a fish to water.

Still early days though remember Coulibally got an injury then came back a different player

McCrorie, Jack and Kamara.

We have really good options for defensive midfield.

Destroyer was the term that day, i wish we could stop with the Coulibaly comparisons,its getting a bit tiring !

Correct they are completely different players. Coulibaly is an energetic player who has done us a turn, but his ability on the ball isn't good enough and I hope he goes back to France at end of loan. Will do so with my best wishes though. Has always gave 100%

I think we can see why Coulibaly was a loanee rather than permanent. Good player but hasn’t been consistent enough for me. I know he’s had injuries and personal issues but still a pass

He was excellent and it was clear when he came off SG had a lot to say to him.

I'm a wee bit surprised though SG has been so open with the press on it...the boy's got miles to go and had hundreds of space the other night (or if you want to argue made lots of space)-he's got a lot tougher challenges ahead. But off the bat he's been top notch.

Seems Kamara might've been stifled at Dundee with the dregs around him. Good to see him proper on form in a better team.

Let's hope so. Much rather signings like Kamara than Davis.

First two appearances in a Rangers jersey and Kamara has settled in immediately. We will see what he's like on the plastic tomorrow and in the next coming weeks we face; Aberdeen, the bheggars and Hibs away.

Early days, let's remain calm and hope he continues to improve, perform consistently and to a high standard.

Kamara was born to play on the big stage - he really has got it all.

He could go on to be something utterly special at Rangers.

Kamara is streets ahead of any other midfielder we have on the books.

We've found a flower in the dirt.
Great way of putting it!
I have to admit that I wasn't really aware of the guy when he was playing with Dundee and my expectations of him were relatively low but having watched him in our last couple of games, he's blown me away.
He looks like he's been playing in midfield for teams of real pedigree for his whole life!
I know it's very early days but he looks like a real find.
He appears to have the lot, great touch, great vision, sublime passing and can make a tackle in midfield....and we're seeing that in only his first two games!
I have really high hopes for this boy!

There's certainly a comparable style of ball-winning and driving forward. Coulibaly was doing fine up until he was done by McGinn of St Boo was it? He's never fancied it since.

Yep it was him, although Coulibaly has been done a few times. In all honesty I think it’s got to him because he lost his fearless streak and it’s totally stalled his game.

He appears to be a talker. Against Kilmarnock he looked to be instructing in particular Worral where to send it. In his 2nd start... impressed. Obviously not lacking in confidence.

Blows my mind that he is Finnish.

Some of his passes through the channel, cutting out their midfield were impressive. Playing towards a proper number 10, Arfield could have won a watch.

Really impressed with him so far. If we had beat St. J we would have been raving about his performance that day much more

Back