Gerrard changing our European mindset?

To be honest, I am still expecting us to be pumped in every game we play in Europe.

That progres game with Pedro destroyed me.

So every great result in Europe is mind blowing to me and is bringing me great joy and pride. Great times.

Aye I’ve still got the fear from that match, got to be the worst in our history.

apart from the 92/93, 2008 season and when AM got us out the CL group stages, if we're honest, we'd been pretty pants by in large, in europe in the last 30 years, even with Dick Advocaat and the shit load of money, we still never got out the group stage of the CL.
but for sure gerrard's experience in europe as a player is invaluable to us, if our players can't benefit from someone who has scored in and won in a CL and uefa cup final, then there's something wrong, also the fact that the coaching team can get the messages to the team in a way that is easy for them to understand is a big help, that's not as easy as you'd think, and not all managers has that skill set.

I feel more comfortable watching us in Europe than I have done under any other manager in over 35 years watching Rangers.
40 years for me and I feel exactly the same Coop.

The biggest difference is attitude.

Gerrard has genuine humility and respect for himself and others in bucket loads.

But underneath there is an indomitable spirit born from massive self belief, a proven track record of success and an attitude of positivity where he exudes the confidence and expectation to win at all times.

I always craved this style of football and these types of performances for us in Europe but we apart from 93 and 08 we always underperformed.

And we've still got a long way to go before we peak, I don't expect to win the Europa League this year but we're getting better all the time and you never know how much further we can progress in the near future, it's a great time to be a Bear!

40 years for me and I feel exactly the same Coop.

The biggest difference is attitude.

Gerrard has genuine humility and respect for himself and others in bucket loads.

But underneath there is an indomitable spirit born from massive self belief, a proven track record of success and an attitude of positivity where he exudes the confidence and expectation to win at all times.

I always craved this style of football and these types of performances for us in Europe but we apart from 93 and 08 we always underperformed.

And we've still got a long way to go before we peak, I don't expect to win the Europa League this year but we're getting better all the time and you never know how much further we can progress in the near future, it's a great time to be a Bear!
Perfectly put mate.

Agree with every word.

I've always felt in the past that there's been a self imposed glass ceiling on our Europe campaigns. A limitation in our own self belief on what we could achieve, the old Scottish negative thinking glorious loser attitude if you like, where we always underperformed and disappointed.

Now I believe that we have a team which is far more than it's individual parts, that's the difference!

(Having said all that we'll probably get gubbed tomorrow!) :oops:

Ha ha only joking...Come on the Gers...

Let's Go!!! B-DB-DB-D

This is new territory for us, realistically expecting to beat most of the teams we are playing. It's great!!!

However, I hope we get to Champions league next season. Some of the bigger teams in that actually give me the fear. We will be tested like never before and it will need to be a weak group for us to progress. Most years it will be a fight for 3rd or 4th place in the current set up.

The reality is we operate at Europa League level and most likely always will. What I do expect if we get to the CL Group Stages though is to not absolutely fucking embarrass ourselves like that lot. Would be happy dropping down to the EL after a respectable showing in the group stages.

As mentioned above the opposition treats us with the utmost respect and a certain level of fear I believe

that said we have been playing mostly mid tier European opposition level, if we qualify to the Champions League we’ll see the step up in levels

Im a bit nervous for tonight hence cant sleep they have nothing to loose and have a few quality players back

i think another night on edge of seat beckons

Love It!

To me it’s unbelievable to think tonight is if my maths is correct this is Gerrard’s 43rd game in Europe as our manager in just under 3 years and only Bayer Leverkusen has won both ties against us.
5 defeats in those games which I think really only should be 3 as to me we shouldn’t have lost to both Spartak Moscow and Young Boys away.
To go from Pedro’s debacle in Luxembourg to where we currently are is staggering, long may it continue.
Europe is a fantastic adventure these days as a Rangers supporter, can you imagine some of the stories to tell if we were allowed in grounds this season, last weeks game in Antwerp would have been amazing to have gone to

I think we’ve found our levering the Europa league tbh. Stepping up to the CL will be very difficult, having said that it holds no fear for me, I trust Gerrard.
I don’t think results are the most important in our initial return to CL. Cash is king here and we will strengthen on the back of that,therefore making us dominant domestically,and with a great chance of last 32 in EL,then we can reasonably expect last 16 in CL in future years.

Back