Gerrard - Clark didn't want to talk about Boyd sectarian abuse

Steven Gerrard has insisted Rangers want sectarian chanting driven out of Ibrox.

But he has questioned why Steve Clarke didn’t highlight the abuse directed at Kris Boyd by Celtic fans in a thinly-veiled dig at the Kilmarnock boss.

Clarke launched a blistering attack on a section of Rangers supporters who taunted him with chants of “19th Century Terrorist b*****” towards the end of Wednesday’s Scottish Cup replay. It came just days after former Rangers striker Boyd was subjected to coin-throwing by a Hoops supporter and also subjected to sectarian abuse.

Responding to Clarke’s post-match press conference, Gerrard said: “It’s happened in the last four or five days to Steve and his players.

"There was stuff said at Kilmarnock v Celtic as well at the weekend but Steve didn’t want to really speak about the abuse that Boydy got at the weekend.

“But obviously he’s decided to speak about it on Wednesday night.

“I respect Steve’s opinion but all I can say is as a club we don’t support any unacceptable behaviour from the terraces.

"We want it out, whatever kind of abuse it is we don’t want it. Homophobic, racial, religion, we don’t want it and we don’t support it.

“The club made a statement on it and made that very clear. The majority are doing their best to eradicate it but I don’t think you can tar every supporter with the same brush.

“We had nearly 40,000 fans at that game. There’s a lot of praise to go to our supporters too. They got behind the team and the players treated them to a very important result.

“Unfortunately there were a minority there and we will try to eradicate that from our support. I wasn’t aware of this until I got home.

“I had a beer with Steve after the game and he was his normal self. We spoke about football, about the game and upcoming fixtures.

“I wasn’t aware of what he had said in his press conference so it was a surprise to me when I got home. But obviously I respect his feelings.

“Steve’s said what he’s said and the club had made a statement. I support them on that.

"Whether it’s chants, coin-throwing or anything that does not belong in football, we want it out. Individuals and small minorities at certain stadiums let themselves down unfortunately. That’s not just in this league.

“I’ve had experience of it before. Of late there’s been different kind of abuse in football matches and as a football family we should all be trying to eradicate it from the terraces because it’s unacceptable.

“I’ve got confidence in the club that they’ll be doing everything they can to try help get rid of it.

“I’ve had it since I was 18. I just echo what Boydy said at the weekend, as long as it’s not
physical I’m okay with it.

“I’m not going to react to any abuse but I’ve had it quite a bit. I don’t want it, I don’t welcome it but it’s fine, no problem. I just get on with it.”

He should simply have played a video of what was sung to him at parkhead and asked if Steve Clarke or the media would like to comment on it and if they do could they please use subtitles when their response is on tv just so its crystal clear for everyone to see. Then say he could easily have highlighted it after the game but didn't want to look like a sore loser or deflect from what was a poor performance by us on the day. :)

Its fair to say boyd wasn’t pleased with clarke last night

If i was Boyd I'd be raging at the tramp. I'd also be calling out Andy Walker for his moronic "he'll be loving this" comment . Also good to see the manager is wise to these muppets in the media.
Clark, like Lennon before him, was enjoying his wee flurry of success and getting one over on us, the adulation from the mhedia for doing so, and his opportunity to throw some sly digs our way, but just like with Lennon, as soon as the bubble bursts and Rangers give them a lesson the dummy gets spat out, and they go into vicTIM mode.

I hope we as a support can support our manager in this.
Each of us as an individual has to help Steven Gerrard here.
Every single supporter can help.
Quite simply don't sing these songs.
We can do it.

Ask yourself, if you continue to sing this type of song, could you then stand in front of Stevie Gerrard as an individual and admit to him that you continued to sing them after he asked you not to?
Because if you wouldn't be prepared to do that but still sing these songs then you are a poor example of a human being.
We are all of us better than that.

The Gaffer is tremendous in dealing with these snakey hypocrites. He also knows that Clarke is playing the Lenny card to deflect from the hammering his team took at Ibrox. Not a peep of condemnation regarding sectarianism in Scottish football after Boyd was verbally abused, and now its all aboard the mhedia bandwagon.

A question the cowards and agenda monkeys in the media should have asked.

Next question. Why wasn't Mclaughlin standing outside the chamber of secrets on Monday morning sounding sanctimonious.

Another question. Why weren't Nil By Mouth in front of a mic on Monday morning.

Yet another question. Why didn't the SFA round up their posse of careful placements until Thursday.

I know you all know the answers but the questions should still be asked.

Last edited:
I hope we as a support can support our manager in this.
Each of us as an individual has to help Steven Gerrard here.
Every single supporter can help.
Quite simply don't sing these songs.
We can do it.

Ask yourself, if you continue to sing this type of song, could you then stand in front of Stevie Gerrard as an individual and admit to him that you continued to sing them after he asked you not to?
Because if you wouldn't be prepared to do that but still sing these songs then you are a poor example of a human being.
We are all of us better than that.

Unfortunately Bilko, we have a chunk of Neanderthal “I’ll sing what I want” fans.
Grown men they are too.

He should simply have played a video of what was sung to him at parkhead and asked if Steve Clarke or the media would like to comment on it and if they do could they please use subtitles when their response is on tv just so its crystal clear for everyone to see. Then say he could easily have highlighted it after the game but didn't want to look like a sore loser or deflect from what was a poor performance by us on the day. :)

I imagine he'll be keeping that one up his sleeve until the time is right. Very calculated comments from Gerrard there, he certainly knows what he's doing.

Well said Steven. He knows what is going on. But let's do our bit and back him up by not putting him in this situation. He has enough to worry about getting things right on the park without these distractions.
Couldn't have put it any better. Well said.

52933310_2151317854947924_2517752641149206528_o.jpg

Not sure if thats true or not but a know boyd wasn’t happy with the lack of support he received from his manager

I'm not surprised. Boyd had to take to social media to call out the actions of their fans because his own manager refused to even comment on it. A disgraceful way to treat any player, let alone the captain who has given over 10 years' service to the club.

Back