Gerrard needs to take a long look in the mirror

He's simply not learning after one year in the job, he is living on the fact he is a legend, granted his euro record has been pretty good so far but we need the title this season. He seems to be obsessed with Liverpool loans also our squad is flooded with average players, after a decent start to the season it's all went very flat
I'm not going to read the whole thread but suffice to say this is just a piece of reactionary shit..

I was with you until the 'sound plan' bit. I too could see some logic in what he was trying to do. I didn't agree with it but I could understand the reasoning behind it. I thought Aribo, for example, would thrive in a free role behind Defoe. How wrong I was. Nevertheless, however you choose to look at it there can be no doubt it was a gamble. An unnecessary gamble at that. A critical OF game, and this one was certainly towards the upper end of the scale in those terms, was not the time to take such a gamble in my view. Easy to say with hindsight, of course, but we should have stuck with the same formation and tactics we'd used leading into the game - even if we did rotate the personnel a wee bit.

Yeah. I agree. But you can’t say that changing formation per se is a bad thing. Walter did it all the time. But it worked for him. It also wasn’t like players were hopelessly out of position. The formation looked on paper as if it should work.

It didn’t work in reality. Gerrard has to take some heat for not correctly predicting how players would perform. And, when you gamble, you have to take the jibes when you lose. But I don’t think we should go too far. It certainly wasn’t crazy. And there is always a degree of luck in an old firm game when the margin is tight.

He's simply not learning after one year in the job, he is living on the fact he is a legend, granted his euro record has been pretty good so far but we need the title this season. He seems to be obsessed with Liverpool loans also our squad is flooded with average players, after a decent start to the season it's all went very flat
If I was as handsome as SG I would look in the mirror longer

Aribo and Ojo were very poor and looked jaded on Thursday, and should have been on the bench on Sunday as a result. Morelos did too, however he still should have started to bully their makeshift CBs.

Jones should have started on the left so we stretched their makeshift back four wide. Flannigan doesn't offer anything going up the left, everyone knows this, and that's fine as a tactic to nullify Forrest (which worked btw), but put an actual winger ahead of him to give us width on the left. Then play Arfield narrow on the right as Tav goes up and down there anyway. In fact, that switch could've been made just after their goal as it was clear as day it wasn't working.

If we had done this, we would then have been able to create 1v1s with the CBs. However, we ended up allowing their full backs to play almost like CBs, which massively helped their two CBs who they were all very concerned about. In the end we played too narrow, passes were too slow and slack.

I still can't believe Gerrard brought Ojo on over Jones and left Aribo on the park. Then, Ojo played almost centrally when he came on, rather than wide when it was clear it wasn't working. That was mental, and played right into their hands. They almost didn't have to break sweat as we offered little and didn't stretch them.

Very disappointing, but we go again.

What a lot of shite.

Aribo and Ojo were very poor and looked jaded on Thursday, and should have been on the bench on Sunday as a result. Morelos did too, however he still should have started to bully their makeshift CBs.

Jones should have started on the left so we stretched their makeshift back four wide. Flannigan doesn't offer anything going up the left, everyone knows this, and that's fine as a tactic to nullify Forrest (which worked btw), but put an actual winger ahead of him to give us width on the left. Then play Arfield narrow on the right as Tav goes up and down there anyway. In fact, that switch could've been made just after their goal as it was clear as day it wasn't working.

If we had done this, we would then have been able to create 1v1s with the CBs. However, we ended up allowing their full backs to play almost like CBs, which massively helped their two CBs who they were all very concerned about. In the end we played too narrow, passes were too slow and slack.

I still can't believe Gerrard brought Ojo on over Jones and left Aribo on the park. Then, Ojo played almost centrally when he came on, rather than wide when it was clear it wasn't working. That was mental, and played right into their hands. They almost didn't have to break sweat as we offered little and didn't stretch them.

Very disappointing, but we go again.
Exactly the point I was making and I think 90% of spectators were thinking. Aribo is young but getting played out of position like that could impact his confidence. Previous managers were slaughtered for impacting young players like that in that type cauldron.

Obsessed with Liverpool loans?
3 players in 2 years mate.
He has a 4 year contract, he doesn't NEED to win the title this year.
He needs to push them all the way and deliver silverware this season.

If we have any ambitions of stopping 10, yes we do need to win the league this year.

Is it just a modern thing where people are completely unable to deal with a loss? Every player, manager, and team we've every had or will have played badly at some point, even against celtic. It's not Gerrard that needs to take a long look in the mirror. Folk need to calm down.

It's not just a loss. It's when teams have possession or create opportunities, some fail to understand.

We had people expecting us to win 4-0 yesterday. We had people talking about going to Warsaw, killing off the game so we could rest players in the 2nd leg for Sunday.

Yesterday was awful. The manager/players deserve the criticism but some of the stuff on here has been over-the-top. Unfortunately losing is part of football.

I would highly doubt Gerrard will need advice from folk on social media with respect to reflecting on yesterday’s performance.
He should have took advice from somewhere when he went without any wingers or our best player. OP goes over the top but Gerrard did have a nightmare yesterday.

Massive overreaction. Gerrard has done a brilliant job this season so far. He got it wrong yesterday. The team also looked a bit leggy after the Legia game so that might have been on his mind too.

If anyone is to take 'a long look in the mirror' it isn't Stevie G.

This kind of pish is exactly why I avoided the Bear Pit yesterday, and up until now.

I’m now sober from yesterday and probably even more dismayed at how wrong he got it yesterday.

Everything was wrong and I knew it before a ball was kicked and I’d imagine 99% of the Rangers support did also.

I’m a huge Gerrard fan but I’m actually worried about how he fucked it up yesterday, time will be a healer but I saw an extremely poor side of the management team yesterday

giphy.gif

He got it massively wrong. Leaving our best player out. Playing 5 central midfielders. Failing to see that airfield has been off it for a while now.

I'm just glad Kent's coming home.

He made an arse of it yesterday, but look where we are now from where we were before he arrived... and then get a grip of yourself o/p.

I’m now sober from yesterday and probably even more dismayed at how wrong he got it yesterday.

Everything was wrong and I knew it before a ball was kicked and I’d imagine 99% of the Rangers support did also.

I’m a huge Gerrard fan but I’m actually worried about how he fucked it up yesterday, time will be a healer but I saw an extremely poor side of the management team yesterday

He made an arse of it. I'm sure he knows that now himself, I understand the thinking behind what he did but it was absolutely the wrong way to approach the game. I didn't speak to a Bear before kick off yesterday who wasnt worried after seeing the line up.

In saying all of that though, we've been done by fine margins really. They've punished a horrendous individual error and then sneaked a goal in injury time when we were committing everyone forward.

You'd think we had been turned over 5-0 and McGregor made umpteen world class saves the way some people are reacting.

He made an arse of it. I'm sure he knows that now himself, I understand the thinking behind what he did but it was absolutely the wrong way to approach the game. I didn't speak to a Bear before kick off yesterday who wasnt worried after seeing the line up.

In saying all of that though, we've been done by fine margins really. They've punished a horrendous individual error and then sneaked a goal in injury time when we were committing everyone forward.

You'd think we had been turned over 5-0 and McGregor made umpteen world class saves the way some people are reacting.
The title could be decided on these games, we've already lost the first at home, look I love the fact gerrard is our man but there comes a time when you start to worry his team selection let's be honest guys was mind boggling 5 in midfield and not playing Jordan Jones and Morelos was insane, our players were not up for it... They wanted it more Why?? There is numerous chinks in his armour, set up, subs, I would love him to prove me wrong but people on here saying he isn't deserving of criticism are burying their heads in the sand

The title could be decided on these games, we've already lost the first at home, look I love the fact gerrard is our man but there comes a time when you start to worry his team selection let's be honest guys was mind boggling 5 in midfield and not playing Jordan Jones and Morelos was insane, our players were not up for it... They wanted it more Why?? There is numerous chinks in his armour, set up, subs, I would love him to prove me wrong but people on here saying he isn't deserving of criticism are burying their heads in the sand
Not sure too many posters are saying, "he isn't deserving of criticism".

Celtic’s striker cost more than our team the fact our manager has closed the gap so quick is positive but a long long way to go
Call me deluded but I don't think there is a long way to go, we didn't turn up yesterday,simple as that and the gaffer can't legislate for players not turning up.

He changed to what you wanted, we were only 1-0 down and still could not beat a man or pass to a team mate.
The players had a very bad day, it happens.

Getting the attack on that should have started with only 30 mins left at 1-0 with the tone set, isn’t good enough.

Maybe doesn't fancy Jones and Ojo enough to throw them in against the bheggars?

Ojo has been poor lately and he also had a bruised heel. Jones was murder at St. Mirren the week before.

Aribo in a more advanced roll/replacing Arfield/wide left was talked about on FF weeks ago by many posters. It was tried and it failed.

Barker is injured.

Stewart isn't good enough for this fixture.

The options aren't great tbh. Not starting Morelos was the biggest mistake.

We watched Kamara dally on the ball and continually lose possession, we watched Aribo struggle, Davis was playing balls out the park, Goldson was gifting them a goal, Tavernier barely did a thing right.

We brought on Ojo and he was brutal. Jones came on and was predictable.

If Kent was a Rangers player yesterday it would have been a different set up. I don't think we've added quality in areas required.

Yes he got it wrong changing the system and must ate some of the blame but that’s his job. Doubt he’ll make same mistake again. Then there is the players never turned up. Tims done what we done o them the last game .

Aye, you tell him son. Who diz he think he is.

If you read Gerrard's book you'll tell he won't hiding from any mistakes he made. I was interested in his post match interview, that day I thought he was 'unusually muted', but on reflection I think it was something else- he didn't give anything away, and played a longer game bearing in mind there's virtually a whole season ahead. An individual error happened in that game, but we'll have ups and downs this season. There's a long way to go, and with the addition of Kent the balance in the team improves significantly.

Getting the attack on that should have started with only 30 mins left at 1-0 with the tone set, isn’t good enough.

Very easy in hindsight, he could have started with what you suggest and could have been 1-0 also, it’s football the best team on paper are not always winners, it’s who plays better on the day.

Get a grip you

Latest posts

Back