Gerrard on the January window

Recoba

Official Ticketer
Steven Gerrard on his Rangers transfer expectations as he reveals Ross Wilson's January mission
The Ibrox boss admits he's happy with his current squad as he opened up on the difficulties of the winter window

By
Scott McDermott
  • 22:29, 19 OCT 2019
  • UPDATED22:39, 19 OCT 2019

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard says it will be impossible to find better players than he already has in January.
The Ibrox gaffer is so happy with his squad that he doesn’t need recruits.

And Gerrard has revealed new director of football Ross Wilson’s main job won’t be getting bodies in but shipping them OUT.
With 26 first-team players, the Rangers boss wants to trim his pool.
Fringe men such as Greg Docherty and Matt Polster could be loaned out and Albanian outcast Eros Grezda sold.
But with his side bang in form Gerrard doesn’t expect any incomings – as he’s not convinced he could get anyone in who would be an upgrade.

The Ibrox boss said: “I’m not sure players will be out there in January to improve on what we’ve got.

“Obviously, if something pops up where we think it’ll strengthen us, Ross and I will look at it.
“But the next window will be more to downsize in terms of numbers. Because there are two or three who need to go and play. I’m finding it hard to get them into the 18.
“The squad’s in a good place. It’s not perfect, there’s still some areas we can probably get better.
“But is January the right time to do that?
“It will be very hard to find someone better than a Ryan Jack, a Connor Goldson, a Joe Aribo or an Alfredo Morelos.

“I’m not sure those players will be out there in the market where we’re shopping. I’m not looking at an area of the team and thinking: ‘We have to do this.’ We’re calm this time.
“The numbers just now are too big, 26 is too many. It’s a luxury for me but it’s not fair on the players.
“Where they are in their careers, they need to play. I’ve had conversations with certain people on where I see them fitting in.
“Then the decision’s up to them. I wouldn’t force anyone out the door. But the squad is two or three heavy right now.”

Let's see where we are come xmas, it may change the gaffers thinking, the mentally challengeds will go all out in January if we are still leading the pack, we might be forced to bring in a few different options.

Let's see where we are come xmas, it may change the gaffers thinking, the mentally challengeds will go all out in January if we are still leading the pack, we might be forced to bring in a few different options.
Agree we’ll see how things go, Xmas is far away in footballing terms right now but I just don’t think they will go all out in January under Lennon,they don’t trust him fully. If anything let’s hope we’re in the position to let them ponder it,that’s all I’ll say on it, it’s early days but for the first time in a long time at this stage of the season I feel like we’ve a genuine chance.Give us 55 Stevie and become immortal!

I can understand we have a big squad with too many surplus players.

However considering we are 8 yes only 8 games into the league season and of course with the danger of injuries how SG can suggest Jan shouldn't be important. The money we spent on Kent was crazy with a title to chase.

Bottom line is if we get an offer for one of our players that is too much to turn down or if a player we think could improve us in in January becomes available then it may happen.
It's all just speculation. A lot can still happen in January.

If we can hold on to our main players I don’t think there’s anywhere we need to add, league position and injuries depending. So happy with the match day squad just now

I can understand we have a big squad with too many surplus players.

However considering we are 8 yes only 8 games into the league season and of course with the danger of injuries how SG can suggest Jan shouldn't be important. The money we spent on Kent was crazy with a title to chase.
I'm not a fan of your relentless negativity but,on occasion,you get it right. The money we paid for Ryan Kent was way OTT imho.

I agree our chances of winning the league if alfie goes in january are diminished, he could be the difference to us getting to the champions league And getting £30 - £ 40 million if we reach the group stages. We must give ourselves every chance of achieving this.

I'm not a fan of your relentless negativity but,on occasion,you get it right. The money we paid for Ryan Kent was way OTT imho.

It will be paid in installments, and was only done because the manager and players got us an unexpected financial boost by qualifying for the Europa league against the odds considering our seeding.

To now start moaning about the board providing the funds for the one player Steven Gerrard and the fans wanted all summer seems a bit ridiculous.

Polster was a very strange signing. We’re obviously delighted he signed, but a very strange one

No it wasn't, he provides cover for right back, its just unfortunate for him that our right back is a superb athlete who never gets injured and is vital to a lot of our play.

That he isn’t playing isn't strange, its good news for us as the better option is always available.

F
It will be paid in installments, and was only done because the manager and players got us an unexpected financial boost by qualifying for the Europa league against the odds considering our seeding.

To now start moaning about the board providing the funds for the one player Steven Gerrard and the fans wanted all summer seems a bit ridiculous.
For the outlay made Kent had to now justify the price tag and play starting today.

No it wasn't, he provides cover for right back, its just unfortunate for him that our right back is a superb athlete who never gets injured and is vital to a lot of our play.

That he isn’t playing isn't strange, its good news for us as the better option is always available.

It's odd Tav never gets rested looking at how many games he's played.

It’s strange if were putting him out on loan

Far too early to be discussing what we will/won't need in January imo. What if we get injuries? What if we hit a bad run and slip 5/6 points behind?

It's not ridiculous at all.
Now, I'm not privvy to the inner workings of the club in terms of how we pay our transfer fees so I cannot comment on that.
I simply don't think Ryan Kent is worth £7m to Rangers, certainly not on what we've seen of him in a Rangers jersey in the last 15 months.
He's a talented player, I'm not disputing that, but £7m?
Not for me.

It's not ridiculous at all.
Now, I'm not privvy to the inner workings of the club in terms of how we pay our transfer fees so I cannot comment on that.
I simply don't think Ryan Kent is worth £7m to Rangers, certainly not on what we've seen of him in a Rangers jersey in the last 15 months.
He's a talented player, I'm not disputing that, but £7m?
Not for me.

He clearly is to the manager though, he was the one player he wanted.

Personally I don't get up nor down about the price of players and find it strange when people do, its not coming out of our bank account.

As long as we don't put any financial risk on the club then we should be backing Steven Gerrard as much as is possible, and he clearly wanted Ryan Kent, as did the vast, vast majority of fans.

It's the going rate for a talented young English player. And we'll see in a few years if it was OTT. Nobody can possibly judge that right now given he's played 30 mins for us since we paid it.

Shock Horror - Manager gives Puff Piece to media

Anyone who thinks we [are going to discuss our targets or plans to the media are off their chump !

I fully expect that Wilson will pick up where Allen left off and have a file of potential players we could target and attract.

IF..IF...we get a mega offer for any of our first team then we should have a "potential" replacement lined up to replace them - that is what a DOF should be doing.

The hardest job will be moving players on to lesser teams as traditionally we have over paid and over contracted players in order to get them to come here initially/ And who would blame any player on a 3 year contract being unwilling to take a pay cut and or package being reduced.

People also need to be aware that we are a total insignificance in the modern Football market, a first pick EPL Player could buy and sell our club tenfold yet some on here think we should be going for better players ???

Whatever way you split it Tags it's a massive amount of money for us and it must have an impact on our January spend. Of course the majority wanted it and SG wanted him-we all accept that but I do think it means we put all our eggs in one basket. 8 league games we look reasonably versatile but I'd rather have waited to January with the potential to spend that cash because there may well be issues or injuries that emerge.

I wouldn't say its strange, the amount of games Tav plays means he's a high risk injury player, we have no cover for him other than Polster

The players are monitored constantly and if Tav plays constantly its because his numbers suggest he isn't at risk of injury. We also have Flanagan as cover.

Polster was a very strange signing. We’re obviously delighted he signed, but a very strange one

I think he's a low cost utility player happy with his role. He can cover right back and in the holding role in midfield.

On a sidenote I can see Barjonas, Docherty, Grezda, and Murphy, moving on most likely loan deals.

Back