Gerrard reaction

Name us the candidates that you saw as possibly being better than Gerrard?

Okay then name us the candidate that wasn't just another risk?

I don't need to bother going back into the thread to know there isn't one.
Every appointment is a risk.
Just ask Manchester United.

Okay then name us the candidate that wasn't just another risk?

I don't need to bother going back into the thread to know there isn't one.
Every appointment is a risk.
Just ask Manchester United.

This was the same kind of rhetoric that appeared on the original Gerrard thread as a way of justifying the appointment.

Every appointment is a risk, I agree. Appointing Pep Guardiola would be a risk. But then again so would appointing my 83 year old gran. Appointing Jurgen Klopp would be a risk, so why not save money and go for the local BB manager? I think Simeone is a great manager, but why not go for an internet gamer with a good record on Football Manager? Hell, they're both risks, aren't they?

All appointments are risks. Clearer some risks are less riskier than others.

And there were dozens of managers being bandied about on here last April. Dozens.

This was the same kind of rhetoric that appeared on the original Gerrard thread as a way of justifying the appointment.

Every appointment is a risk, I agree. Appointing Pep Guardiola would be a risk. But then again so would appointing my 83 year old gran. Appointing Jurgen Klopp would be a risk, so why not save money and go for the local BB manager? I think Simeone is a great manager, but why not go for an internet gamer with a good record on Football Manager? Hell, they're both risks, aren't they?

All appointments are risks. Clearer some risks are less riskier than others.

And there were dozens of managers being bandied about on here last April. Dozens.
Yes.
But amongst all the risks there are some certainties.
Gerrard was a certainty in so many areas that all the other risks just quite simply are not.
Gerrard is winning for the club on a number of fronts that other so-called risks simply could never match him.
There is money coming into the club generated by Gerrard's profile.
There are signing opportunities that come from Gerrard's own profile before we even begin to align it to the allure of our great club.
There are financial fillips that we are on the verge of exploiting and Gerrard has greatly enhanced them.
We have a national and international profile that has been hugely accelerated far beyond our footballing exploits due to Gerrard and quite simply this is going to give us returns that I suspect none of your imagined candidates could ever have equalled.

All of this and quite honestly we are probably just about where we might have expected to be given the circumstances of Scottish football, the advantages that The Filth have been allowed to accrue notwithstanding that the entire game in the SPL has become a loaded dice not fit for purpose.

Steven Gerrard cannot recover the stolen points from Pittodrie in the first game of the season or the game against Dundee or indeed regain a measure of balance from events at Kilmarnock today or from the disgusting decision that has seen Morleos again taken off the field of competition.
The refereeing disparity between ourselves and The Filth isn't going to even itself out over the course of the season.
Eight points at this stage of the season shouldn't really be that unexpected.

But I suppose you won't for a second factor any of this into your calculations.

Just out of curiosity what would you have done differently today.
I would have played three at the back and filled the midfield pushing hard at their defence. Running straight through them. Using the same tactics with different players every week is utter pish. All that being said no one on this page is paid maybe 2 mil or so to get it right. Gerrard is. I want him to get it right but Warburton like quotes wont cut it. This is Rangers. Get us back to playing aggressive attacking and winning football

Yes.
But amongst all the risks there are some certainties.
Gerrard was a certainty in so many areas that all the other risks just quite simply are not.
Gerrard is winning for the club on a number of fronts that other so-called risks simply could never match him.
There is money coming into the club generated by Gerrard's profile.
There are signing opportunities that come from Gerrard's own profile before we even begin to align it to the allure of our great club.
There are financial fillips that we are on the verge of exploiting and Gerrard has greatly enhanced them.
We have a national and international profile that has been hugely accelerated far beyond our footballing exploits due to Gerrard and quite simply this is going to give us returns that I suspect none of your imagined candidates could ever have equalled.

All of this and quite honestly we are probably just about where we might have expected to be given the circumstances of Scottish football, the advantages that The Filth have been allowed to accrue notwithstanding that the entire game in the SPL has become a loaded dice not fit for purpose.

Steven Gerrard cannot recover the stolen points from Pittodrie in the first game of the season or the game against Dundee or indeed regain a measure of balance from events at Kilmarnock today or from the disgusting decision that has seen Morleos again taken off the field of competition.
The refereeing disparity between ourselves and The Filth isn't going to even itself out over the course of the season.
Eight points at this stage of the season shouldn't really be that unexpected.

But I suppose you won't for a second factor any of this into your calculations.

Now you're just repeating yourself: Gerrard's appointment brings us international and national exposure, signing opportunities, financial gain, etc. I've already addressed all of this so I'll state it again in the plainest possible terms: I'd have preferred a manager who'd give us a greater chance at winning the league, even if that meant none of the advantages that the appointment of Gerrard has brought. We clearly value different characteristics in the manager. For what it's worth, I think the majority of fans would now prefer a manager who'd give us a greater shot at 55 than someone whose honeymoon period was a looooooong time ago.

Gerrard can't recover lost points due to refereeing blunders but that doesn't address the numerous games in which we've dropped points due to our own mistakes. It's a slightly lazy way out.

I'll start to calculate Gerrard's worth as a manager the moment he leaves. I wouldn't be as arrogant to suggest that he's the wrong man seven or eight months into the job and I certainly wouldn't be arguing the opposite either.

I would have played three at the back and filled the midfield pushing hard at their defence. Running straight through them. Using the same tactics with different players every week is utter pish. All that being said no one on this page is paid maybe 2 mil or so to get it right. Gerrard is. I want him to get it right but Warburton like quotes wont cut it. This is Rangers. Get us back to playing aggressive attacking and winning football
These 'Warburton like quotes' you refer to are not the sole preserve of Steven Gerrard, every manager has to do these interviews every week. Too bad he isn't Oscars Wilde enough for you, but he has to do these. What would you have him say week in week out?

Spot on - he said post match along the lines of "crosses to chest height and above wont work with Defoe" - you play the ball to his best ability "his feet" - pretty simple !

"We never got any crosses into the box" What, to your 5' striker. Brilliant.

Now you're just repeating yourself: Gerrard's appointment brings us international and national exposure, signing opportunities, financial gain, etc. I've already addressed all of this so I'll state it again in the plainest possible terms: I'd have preferred a manager who'd give us a greater chance at winning the league, even if that meant none of the advantages that the appointment of Gerrard has brought. We clearly value different characteristics in the manager. For what it's worth, I think the majority of fans would now prefer a manager who'd give us a greater shot at 55 than someone whose honeymoon period was a looooooong time ago.

Gerrard can't recover lost points due to refereeing blunders but that doesn't address the numerous games in which we've dropped points due to our own mistakes. It's a slightly lazy way out.

I'll start to calculate Gerrard's worth as a manager the moment he leaves. I wouldn't be as arrogant to suggest that he's the wrong man seven or eight months into the job and I certainly wouldn't be arguing the opposite either.
I thought it needed repeating.

The crux of your argument is that if we could have gotten a manager that guaranteed us this year's league title, no matter who he was, then he was a preferable acquisition to Steven Gerrard.

I think there is really nothing more to be said.

He has read the riot act a few times, so either his message is not being heard or players are as many have said just not good or consistent enough to perform to level demanded by the jersey.

I hate to say it but looks like another 10+ turnaround this summer, and with to the record of Gerrard and Allen in transfer market so far do we trust them to do it wisely?

He has read the riot act a few times, so either his message is not being heard or players are as many have said just not good or consistent enough to perform to level demanded by the jersey.

I hate to say it but looks like another 10+ turnaround this summer, and with to the record of Gerrard and Allen in transfer market so far do we trust them to do it wisely?

I'm not sure if I would trust them, however if we were to turnaround players then there is more chance of us offloading Barasic and Grezda in comparison to the likes of Herrera and Pena. Simply, due to the fact that they are still international players for their respective countries, even though to date they have been pretty poor for us.

Not sure what SG or any manager can say which would pacify the fans after a poor result which has effectively finished any title challenge

I thought it needed repeating.

The crux of your argument is that if we could have gotten a manager that guaranteed us this year's league title, no matter who he was, then he was a preferable acquisition to Steven Gerrard.

I think there is really nothing more to be said.

No, the crux of my argument is that we should have recruited an experienced and seasoned manager with a greater chance of winning us the league title rather than take another punt on a rookie manager who may or may not turn out to be good enough.

No, the crux of my argument is that we should have recruited an experienced and seasoned manager with a greater chance of winning us the league title rather than take another punt on a rookie manager who may or may not turn out to be good enough.
What seasoned manager would that be?
Tony Pulis? Derek McInnes? Steve Clarke? Neil Lennon?
There isn't such a thing as a manager who could have been guaranteed to do a better job than Gerrard given all of the circumstances financial etc that we were/are faced with.
As it is the Board pulled a masterstroke bringing in Steven Gerrard.

What seasoned manager would that be?
Tony Pulis? Derek McInnes? Steve Clarke? Neil Lennon?
There isn't such a thing as a manager who could have been guaranteed to do a better job than Gerrard given all of the circumstances financial etc that we were/are faced with.
As it is the Board pulled a masterstroke bringing in Steven Gerrard.

So we are going round in circles, then.

I've no idea what seasoned manager we might have gone for. I'm sure the options weren't so lacking that Gerrard was their only option.

I've stated this point numerous times and you seem to keep ignoring it, so I'll repeat it one last time: no manager is guaranteed to do a better job than Gerrard, but his appointment carries with it a significantly higher risk of lack of success than it would with a more experienced manager.

Gerrard may prove good enough. He may not. The chances of him being good enough are slimmer than they would be with a manager we already know can do it. Not 100%, or a sure fire thing, but higher nonetheless, yes?

I'm also not sure I've not given the board due praise for the appointment in the first place. It was a sizeable coup and the only managerial appointment in our history that comes close to it is le Guen. I'm just not entirely sure whether it was the right one.

So we are going round in circles, then.

I've no idea what seasoned manager we might have gone for. I'm sure the options weren't so lacking that Gerrard was their only option.

I've stated this point numerous times and you seem to keep ignoring it, so I'll repeat it one last time: no manager is guaranteed to do a better job than Gerrard, but his appointment carries with it a significantly higher risk of lack of success than it would with a more experienced manager.

Gerrard may prove good enough. He may not. The chances of him being good enough are slimmer than they would be with a manager we already know can do it. Not 100%, or a sure fire thing, but higher nonetheless, yes?

I'm also not sure I've not given the board due praise for the appointment in the first place. It was a sizeable coup and the only managerial appointment in our history that comes close to it is le Guen. I'm just not entirely sure whether it was the right one.
Circles indeed.

This mythical experienced manager remains just that.
I would love to hear you give us just one name?

Circles indeed.

This mythical experienced manager remains just that.
I would love to hear you give us just one name?

I’ve no idea how many of the names being bandied about on here this time last year were viable replacements for Pedro/Murty, but there were lots. Dozens, in fact. Until the Rangers support got weak at the knees for Gerrard, the appetite was for someone with miles on the clock.

I’m constantly amazed at how difficult you seem to think it’d be luring a seasoned, experienced manager to lead the world’s most successful football team. In fact your diminishment of Rangers is just…weird. You really think we'd have problems luring someone here? The same club that attracted Souness, Advocaat and le Guen? That even given the well-documented challenges of taking the job that no one would be interested in it to the extent that the only recourse was to try a rookie youth team coach?

Pushing up and leaving short in numbers at back nearly cost us all three points.

We were without McGregor Jack Arfield and Morelos. They will start every game at home when we need to get about teams.
None of the four were Gerrard decisions by choice.
Tav and Dani has their worst game on the right for months. Barisic was terrible in the left. Kent wandered all over the place looking for room.
He tried Candieas Kent Middleton Defoe and Lafferty up front how much more charging forward do u need ?

I’ve no idea how many of the names being bandied about on here this time last year were viable replacements for Pedro/Murty, but there were lots. Dozens, in fact. Until the Rangers support got weak at the knees for Gerrard, the appetite was for someone with miles on the clock.

I’m constantly amazed at how difficult you seem to think it’d be luring a seasoned, experienced manager to lead the world’s most successful football team. In fact your diminishment of Rangers is just…weird. You really think we'd have problems luring someone here? The same club that attracted Souness, Advocaat and le Guen? That even given the well-documented challenges of taking the job that no one would be interested in it to the extent that the only recourse was to try a rookie youth team coach?
This isn't about me mate.
This is about you finding a way to criticise the recruitment of the current manager.
Clearly.

No problem that is your right.
I am sure that has been your consistent opinion throughout the season.
No big deal.
I am sure you didn"t just break cover following a poor result on Saturday.

This isn't about me mate.
This is about you finding a way to criticise the recruitment of the current manager.
Clearly.

No problem that is your right.
I am sure that has been your consistent opinion throughout the season.
No big deal.
I am sure you didn"t just break cover following a poor result on Saturday.

Did I not already say that I was sceptical about the appointment in the original Gerrard thread?

Anyway, with the arrival of lazy and desperate implied and insinuated comments about my support I think it's time to stop contributing to this thread. At least it stayed civil, eh?

Did I not already say that I was sceptical about the appointment in the original Gerrard thread?

Anyway, with the arrival of lazy and desperate implied and insinuated comments about my support I think it's time to stop contributing to this thread. At least it stayed civil, eh?
No one implied anything apart fom yoursef.
You made your case and if you dont like that I dont concur...who cares.
You think we could have made a better appointment.
I think all things considered we couldn’t.
Even now you still cannot give us a name!

The manager is doing fine.
Given the circumstances.
IMHO.

No one implied anything apart fom yoursef.
You made your case and if you dont like that I dont concur...who cares.
You think we could have made a better appointment.
I think all things considered we couldn’t.
Even now you still cannot give us a name!

The manager is doing fine.
Given the circumstances.
IMHO.

Following up a perfectly-explained and reasoned post (none of which you responded to and which included three questions, btw) by telling me that you are sure that I have held this opinion throughout the year and that I wasn't just posting after a poor result on Saturday struck me as a post of such breathtaking irrelevance and evasion that the only conclusion that I could come to was that you were having a go at my levels of support.

Since, unlike you, I like to answer questions, I'll cite some of the names being associated with the job at the time: Preud'homme, GVB, RDB, Warnock, Martinez, Clarke. Whether any of them would have come is another matter. I'm sure - as you've not addressed, either, by the way - that the lure of getting to manage this great club would have interested more than a few of them.

Following up a perfectly-explained and reasoned post (none of which you responded to and which included three questions, btw) by telling me that you are sure that I have held this opinion throughout the year and that I wasn't just posting after a poor result on Saturday struck me as a post of such breathtaking irrelevance and evasion that the only conclusion that I could come to was that you were having a go at my levels of support.

Since, unlike you, I like to answer questions, I'll cite some of the names being associated with the job at the time: Preud'homme, GVB, RDB, Warnock, Martinez, Clarke. Whether any of them would have come is another matter. I'm sure - as you've not addressed, either, by the way - that the lure of getting to manage this great club would have interested more than a few of them.

None of them were guaranteed to do anything better than Steven Gerrard.
The reasons for falling behind in the league are many, some concern the manager who has made mistakes and some don't.
The ones that don't would have affected any of the managers you have chosen to mention.

However, not one you have cited would have given us the other plus factors that Gerrard has, and as for the European run, that was a great achievement.

As for your levels of support, I never mentioned them, that was inside your own head.
I merely wondered if you had been a critic of the managerial appointment since day one and not since recent results.
I never noticed much negativity from any poster on here regarding Stevie G.
But I can't say I have ever seen your posts on here before so maybe I missed them.

Anyway, I am sticking with the manager, I think he will get it right and even with all the other hurdles I think he will overcome them as well.

None of them were guaranteed to do anything better than Steven Gerrard.
The reasons for falling behind in the league are many, some concern the manager who has made mistakes and some don't.
The ones that don't would have affected any of the managers you have chosen to mention.

However, not one you have cited would have given us the other plus factors that Gerrard has, and as for the European run, that was a great achievement.

As for your levels of support, I never mentioned them, that was inside your own head.
I merely wondered if you had been a critic of the managerial appointment since day one and not since recent results.
I never noticed much negativity from any poster on here regarding Stevie G.
But I can't say I have ever seen your posts on here before so maybe I missed them.

Anyway, I am sticking with the manager, I think he will get it right and even with all the other hurdles I think he will overcome them as well.

Can you state whereabouts in the thread I have stated that they would be better than Gerrard? I've been very careful to state that the chances (I've been using italics to stress probability so much in this thread my fingers are getting sore) of them are greater but that this isn't a given.

Some things are outwith the managers control, yes. But most things aren't. Funny how when we had a solid team with a reliable manager we were able to do that.

Europe was a nice achievement but an absolute sideshow from the bread and butter of being a Rangers manager. It wasn't enough to save PLG.

The concern is that we just don't know if he can overcome these obstacles, and if he doesn't, he leaves us at the same place we were five, six years ago. Rangers have given countless managers a go at management. Turning to someone tried and tested would have been a out of the ordinary move from the board.

Every single manager has these turns of phrases that they regularly use.

People need to stop watching his every interview if they are gonna have a hissy fit about them when we get a shitty result.

Look at Chelsea same style and like for like substitutes = same results. We’re doing the same thing by sticking to one style of play that works when Morelos plays but doesn’t when he’s not playing. I simply don’t get it.

No matter who our manager was today that 11 should’ve beaten St Johnstone at home.

Not backing Gerrard and he must take blame but we have a mental problem of not winning must so called easier games it’s evident. That is the players fault and Gerrard couldn’t sort that in one full pre season and summer window.

I agree to an extent but it’s the players mostly we will never have a better chance of stopping ten in a row.

Back