Gerrard reckons Greg Docherty is a changed man and player after loan spell

Bonnyloyal

STEVEN GERRARD reckons Greg Docherty is reaping the rewards of his loan spell away from Rangers.

And he hopes his success at Shrewsbury will inspire Ross McCrorie to make the most of his temporary switch and return to Ibrox ready to challenge for a starting spot next term.

Gerrard allowed Docherty to head for the exit door last summer as he made the move south of the border.
The 22-year-old enjoyed a productive campaign in League One and has now forced his way into Gerrard’s plans in the opening weeks of the campaign.
The midfielder produced an impressive performance on Thursday night as he helped the Light Blues to a 6-0 victory over St Joseph’s at Ibrox.
It was one of several positives for boss Gerrard as his side progressed to the Europa League second qualifying round to set up a meeting with familiar foes Progres Niederkorn.
And he has challenged McCrorie to follow in Docherty’s footsteps as he looks to make his mark with Portsmouth.
Gerrard said: “He has come back a different man. He has matured a lot from his experience, going out of his comfort zone, living away from his family, living up to the expectation of being a Rangers player on loan.

“He won Player of the Year and had a real positive loan. I think Shrewsbury did a fantastic job with him.
“On the evidence of what I’ve seen since day one of pre-season, he looks a different player and a different person.
“So we are delighted with what he has offered since he came back. Fair play to him.
“There are different reasons why you suggest loans to players.
“Ross McCrorie is in a very similar situation to what the Doc was in 12 months ago.
“Where they are at in their careers, they needed to go and play 40-45 games. If I’m not in a position to promise them that, the best thing sometimes is to go to the right club with the right manager and have that opportunity.
“In your career, your first 150 games are probably the ones where you learn the most. And you probably need to play quite regularly to do that.
“We are hoping that Ross follows suit and has a real strong, positive loan and he can be back with us in a year’s time.
“We have got a call-back on Ross, but I’ve got no plans to call him back if the loan is positive. I can’t pick Kenny Jackett’s team, but I hope he plays quite regularly.

You can see it with doc.. I did read (not to be gospel) that last season the coaching staff felt he needed to improve passing and playing with head up. That could be wrong but he is playing better forward passes

Really pleased for Greg, he will never have the technique of a Davis or Kamara but what he does do is drive forward with the ball and is very positive around the box, brilliant workrate and attitude.

Delighted to see him in the squad this season

Hoping Doc takes his chances this season.

If he can continue to improve his passing, and gain a ruthless streak, which would be ideal with the physique of the boy, he would be a fantastic option to have.

He can run for days without issue, he has the right mentality, now he just needs to do the above and he’s golden.

I loved seeing the Doc last evening he went about his task like he had been doing it for years, the best of luck to the wee man.

I thought Docherty was everything we wanted him to be like last night. Up and down the park, driving forward with the ball, breaking up play. Even swinging in crosses with both feet. Granted the opposition was rubbish but the desire to succeed at Rangers was there for everybody to see. Gerrard has got to be happy with what he sees so far from Docherty. Let's hope he continues to get game time.

Greg Docherty’s attitude has been spot on since the moment he signed. Used his loan spell to make him a better player rather than sulking.

I think we’ll see the same thing with Ross McCrorie.

Have seen loads of folk on here moaning about our fringe players possibly going down south and instead wanting them loaned to SPL sides (in the belief that they will lift shite teams into the realms of world-beaters when they come up against the beggars). But Gerrard clearly feels that getting out of Scotland is character building and will benefit the club more in the longer term. Glad to hear that Docherty was up to the challenge and has impressed the boss on his return.

Great to see him grasp his chance last night.

On that showing he’ll have plenty to offer this season.

I hope that Doc, McCrorie and Middleton are the future of Rangers. Loan deals can go either way. Kent and Docherty are examples of how well they can go if the player has the right attitude.

Really nice to read the gaffer praising Docherty. I thought he might have been looked over following his loan but it seems to have been the best thing for him, I rate him highly along without McCrorie

When we didn’t have the ball, Greg hunted it down until we had it back. Loved his attitude last night and so will SG. Fair play to the lad.

Just after his loan was confirmed I met Mark Hateley and suggested he should have been retained until nearer the end of the window. Hateley was quite categoric about the need for Doc to go on loan and that he should go to a team out with the UK. There were no takers so that’s why he ended up at Shrewsbury.
Seems to have worked out for the best which is a massive credit to the player.
Early signs are positive so fingers crossed he’ll kick on from here and be the player we all hope he can be.

Great info. there.

Rates both players. RMc will be back

It's quite clear to everyone that 55 is happening this season. And if an absolute disaster struck, it will happen the following year.

NS. 55.

Docherty has been a credit to himself and the club. In the modern era of pampered primadona footballers it would have been easy to sulk when it was suggested he go out on loan, he didn’t, instead he worked his bollocks off and as such he’s now back in our team with Steven Gerrard singing his praises. I hope he’s enjoying it because he’s earned it.

Great to hear. The loan market for young players is not to farm them out and forget about them. It's about them going and doing the job and learning. Doc done that, he has matured so much as a player as well, you could see he played more like a member of the first team and not a youth player stepping up.

McCrorie will do the same I think, he has a great attitude as well.

He looked good on Thursday ,definitely benefited from his loan spell.

To be fair to him , by all accounts, he has always been a good young pro with the right attitude.

He certainly seems to have seen going to Shrewsbury as more of a challenge than a set back .

l like his way of thinking.

Thought he was one of our best players on Thursday night.

I really want to see him be a success with us.

"living up to the expectation of being a Rangers player on loan."

Loved this bit. Not just a player on loan, but a Rangers player!

Can see Docherty doing a similar job on Brown to what McCrorie did last season, ie physically dominate the ageing clogger.

I'm impressed by the way Gerrard has handled this. When he came in he was on a list of about 6 players we wanted to retain. Most of us questioned his decision to ship him out on loan.

Looks like we might have brought back a stronger player to compete in a far stonger midfield.

It was clear all along that Doc’s loan period was for development rather than looking to ship someone out of the club. It was up to him to grab the opportunity, and I’m delighted that he did. With the number of games we’ll have, he’ll play an important part this season.

These loan deals depends on the player involved.
It’s all to do with the attitude of the player whether it’s a success or not.
Hope the lad makes it at Rangers.

The Gaffer is a smart guy and knows the first 150 games are a valuable learning curb,Doc has earned his stripes by spending a season away and doing all the hard work himself.

He’s a bull and I want the lad to success at the Gers,seems a very sound young man and in a good place,respectful and decent and brought up on good value’s.

Doc is an example to all young players. Didn't take the huff when he wasn't in the gaffer's plans. Instead set about to prove him wrong, worked his socks off and looks like he's getting his rewards. I hope he forces his way in to our starting 11.

This is it in a nutshell. He’s looked fantastic since coming back and I think he will be well in the first team plans.

Great info. there.

Rates both players. RMc will be back

It's quite clear to everyone that 55 is happening this season. And if an absolute disaster struck, it will happen the following year.

NS. 55.

Gerrards insistence that Mcrories move was not with an option to buy was quite telling IMO.

Back