Gerrard since joining Villa

Gerrard was with us three years.
Iconic start with the words ‘Let’s Go’ … we were sold.
Attracted young talent, also attracted some gross. Made big money.
Won a league (that’s all) and lost his mojo. We all seen that.
He’s gone on to greater things, wish him well.
The king is dead, long live the king. Long live Gio.

Id say thats underestimating the situation to a breath-taking degree. Its not like Rangers had underachieved for a season or two and needed picking up, the club was at Rock-bottom after years of being mismanaged on and off the pitch. All aspects of its operation and lifeblood needed to be changed and upgraded, this being done against an ever increasing barrier of pressure as season after season of failure built up.

Gerrard not only achieved that lofty task but he did it against all the odds and he fought our corner every step of the way in a style few Managers wouldve. Say what you will about his exit but he risked his rep massively by taking the Rangers job when he did because he saw the potential and matched it his own ambitions.

Make no mistake, without Gerrard there would be no 55 and God only knows where Rangers would be now. Quite possibly with someone like Jack Ross, Ross Jack or Jack Off as Manager.

Gerrard's time at Rangers and the context of the situation as it was is not comparable to your typical new Manager taking control of a club because it had never been like that before and, thanks to him, it wont ever happen again.
That’s fair enough. He did bring about a massive change in our fortunes, that’s true. However, he took three seasons to do it remember, and the first two were trophyless. He also had the help of a superb back room staff.

The bottom line though is he walked out on us at the worst possible time with absolutely no forewarning, and his achievements are not enough for him to be classed as a Rangers legend.

You can even give him all the context in the world, it won’t matter a jot. He lives in a world where up is down and black is white. Where 5th place is a higher finish than 3rd place. Where winning the league in your first attempt is less impressive than needing 3 attempts. Where the board putting their hand in their own pocket time and again is viewed as “not being backed”, where winning one medal and sneaking out the back door puts a manager in pole position to be viewed as our greatest ever manager. Where someone tying a scarf to a post in a completely different era somehow increases the difficulty of the job someone has about 15 years later.

It’s all bat shit crazy stuff. What Souness, Walter and Wallace did is infinitely more impressive, proper Rangers legends too - these guys had real respect for the club, no sneaking out the back door, no pissing around in England and leaving your assistant to do all the work. “But we got beat 5-0 under Pedro so Stevie must be the best” :))
I'd agree with 99% of that, but the way Souness left wasn't great.

I don’t think anyone would argue that Gerrard didnt improve us as a club. The issue myself and others have is the way he left. If we’re honest he couldn’t wait to get out the door, which makes you question if he ever had any strong feelings for us.

Whilst he certainly improved us his record is hardly a Rangers great. One trophy in three seasons is hardly the stuff of legends. Had he stayed and repeated the feat things might be different. However, for me it seemed a bit like he got out while his stock was high.

Maybe time will soften my attitude, but I can’t see him ever being classed in the same group as Smith, Wallace, Symon, Struth and Wilton.
As much as I like what Stevie G did for us he is nowhere near that list. He did what he set out to do which was stop Terry Munro and win us 55. Of course bringing us some pride back in Europe was built upon by Gio but SG’s cup record was disappointing. If we win this season Gio will have been more successful than SG in under 2 seasons.

I'd agree with 99% of that, but the way Souness left wasn't great.
It wasn’t great, but he offered to see out the season and left for the only club he’d have ever left for. He didn’t snake away to a club who were relegation candidates and with whom he had no affiliation.

It's also worth noting that Alex McLeish took over Rangers Dec 2001, 12 points behind Celtic in the league.

A year and a half later he completed a domestic treble against O'Neill's dhim side who had dominated since he arrived and were in a European final.

SG inherited, in 2018, a side that finished just 9 points behind the dhims the season prior and took until 2021 to claim the title.

Stats without proper context...
I suppose the filth having 3 times our turnover didn't matter then
Steven Gerrard wouldn't be in my top 10 of Rangers managers but he done a great job with very limited funds compared to the filth
Consistently punching above our weight in Europe which earned us the funds to annihilate the filths 10 iar
The reality is Gerrard is a bigger name in world football than Rangers these days and we knew he would be off someday except some wont let it go
He will rightfully claim a well earned spot in our history

It wasn’t great, but he offered to see out the season and left for the only club he’d have ever left for. He didn’t snake away to a club who were relegation candidates and with whom he had no affiliation.
That's irrelevant in my opinion. His leaving caused us a wobble at a vital time of the season and we very nearly lost the league because of it.

I suppose the filth having 3 times our turnover didn't matter then
Steven Gerrard wouldn't be in my top 10 of Rangers managers but he done a great job with very limited funds compared to the filth
Consistently punching above our weight in Europe which earned us the funds to annihilate the filths 10 iar
The reality is Gerrard is a bigger name in world football than Rangers these days and we knew he would be off someday except some wont let it go
He will rightfully claim a well earned spot in our history
Did you read the last line?

That's irrelevant in my opinion. His leaving caused us a wobble at a vital time of the season and we very nearly lost the league because of it.
I don’t think that’s entirely fair when Murray insisted on him leaving right there and then. I’m sure if Souness had jumped ship for a nothing club after giving everyone bullshit sound bites about being happy, people would have been far less forgiving, even after a number of years.

You're not gonna like this but history will show Gerrard as potentially our greatest ever manager m8
You've jumped the shark with such velocity here that you're about to go into orbit.

Big Eck
Walter
Jock Wallace
Advocaat

All better, more succesful Rangers managers.

You've jumped the shark with such velocity here that you're about to go into orbit.

Big Eck
Walter
Jock Wallace
Advocaat

All better, more succesful Rangers managers.
I didn't say he was the most successful as there are plenty of managers more successful than Gerrard however in my opinion no manager has taken us from as far behind Celtic to make us champions as Gerrard did.

I didn't say he was the most successful as there are plenty of managers more successful than Gerrard however in my opinion no manager has taken us from as far behind Celtic to make us champions as Gerrard did.
Yes, even though other managers have taken over with us having finished further down the league and a greater number of points behind Celtic. I didn’t want to address you directly again because frankly you’re creeping me out at this point, but honestly it’s like me saying “in my opinion the sky is green and the grass is blue”. I’ve never seen anything like it before, not even on here which is really saying something in a land of most enjoyable steak beaks and magicdeboer’s.

Nah, Gerrard is the quintessential Rangers manager, much like Lennon is for them.

Well respected in the game / stamped on the head
Leads by example / filmed out on the bevvy regularly
Can be stern but also charismatic / constant meltdowns and tantrums
Takes responsibility for himself / always the victim
Gerrard left at right time we got a better manager in gio Gerrard was great for us came in at right time

Yes, even though other managers have taken over with us having finished further down the league and a greater number of points behind Celtic. I didn’t want to address you directly again because frankly you’re creeping me out at this point, but honestly it’s like me saying “in my opinion the sky is green and the grass is blue”. I’ve never seen anything like it before, not even on here which is really saying something in a land of most enjoyable steak beaks and magicdeboer’s.
I'm creeping you out, you have no wish to accept others have a different opinion than yourself. I find it strange that a manager who achieved a record points total, won arguably our most important title whilst improving our reputation on the European stage is held in complete disdain by individuals like yourself especially on a Rangers forum.

So there's no debate exactly as I thought. The man took us from being the furthest behind ever and put us on top.
He won us the league again and definitely put us on the map in European football, but if you think that triumphs what guys like Struth and Walter done over numerous decades then you're a genuine idiot.

That is strange he is struggling with Villa.
I used to like him a lot and he did a great job at Rangers, weird position to be in for him.

I'm creeping you out, you have no wish to accept others have a different opinion than yourself. I find it strange that a manager who achieved a record points total, won arguably our most important title whilst improving our reputation on the European stage is held in complete disdain by individuals like yourself especially on a Rangers forum.
Disdain? Because I don’t like the way he left, won’t turd polish his diabolical cup record and don’t think one solitary title (aided by a serious early season timplosion) is worthy of being regarded as one of our greatest ever managers? That’s not disdain, that’s a completely normal viewpoint from a Rangers fan whose primary interest is Rangers.

But describing me as having “complete disdain”? I mean you’re telling porkies again and that’s something you wouldn’t have to lower yourself to if you had any sort of credible argument here. Gerrard did a good job, especially when we factor in Europe where progress exceeded expectation I’ve always said this so thats not disdain. But his cup record was disgraceful, the second mid season capitulation was dreadful and Malmö and his subsequent exit were piss poor.

Opinions are fine, but you’re on here arguing that up is down and black is white. You’ve been given the names of managers who’ve turned it around after being further behind Celtic in terms of both league position AND points difference (and turned it around faster too). You’ve been provided with these names more than once and yet you still refuse to accept them despite them being based on factual evidence of league positions and points differences. I myself put other questions to you yesterday and you conveniently ignored them all, all the while pretending as though no one had provided you with the names of managers who’ve started from further behind the scum.

Instead you grumble endlessly about record defeats (that weren’t record defeats) and someone tying a scarf to a goalpost long before any of this happened. It was bad enough when you were advocating a potential 4th season should the first 3 have ended trophyless, but everything you’ve said in this thread is ridiculous and I doubt your reputation will ever recover from it mate. Anyway this is really it from me because it’s beyond weird. Over and out.

Last edited:
Our loss? Gerrard wouldn’t have taken us to a European final.
Gerrard took us as far as he could what Gerrard done for our whole club can't be overlooked Steve give us hope again his first season got us in Europe Cup group stage was remarkable he not good enough to take us to next level I wish him well remember stop 10 in a row seeing how sick the scum were a

Gerrard took us as far as he could what Gerrard done for our whole club can't be overlooked Steve give us hope again his first season got us in Europe Cup group stage was remarkable he not good enough to take us to next level I wish him well remember stop 10 in a row seeing how sick the scum were a
I agree it cannot be understated what he did for us. That being said his biggest failure was not qualifying for CL. That cost him money wise as the board weren't willing to fork out when the team didn't get that cash bonus. A mixture of that, his own ambition and his head being turned by the Villa approach led to him being unsettled and not 100% engaged. He made the move he wanted and we, as always, moved on. He is now an important part of our history. Wish he had been more successful but stopping 10 was massive and historical. Good luck to him but I moved on long ago

I really don’t think discussion forums are the place for you mate :))

That’s fair enough. He did bring about a massive change in our fortunes, that’s true. However, he took three seasons to do it remember, and the first two were trophyless.
Id suggest achieving what he did in the timeframe completed was actually very impressive. Given the colossal gulf that had emerged between us and Celt!c.

I really don’t think discussion forums are the place for you mate :))
Why not? I’ve literally just had a proper discussion. If memory serves me right you wanted any sort of discussion around negative aspects of our game to be avoided and shut down completely - otherwise that would have been really witty, shame that :))

Why not? I’ve literally just had a proper discussion. If memory serves me right you wanted any sort of discussion around negatives aspects of our game to be avoided and shut down completely - otherwise that would have been really witty, shame that :))
Don’t lie…..that was class! Where’s that fishing rod emoji! :))

It's also worth noting that Alex McLeish took over Rangers Dec 2001, 12 points behind Celtic in the league.

A year and a half later he completed a domestic treble against O'Neill's dhim side who had dominated since he arrived and were in a European final.

SG inherited, in 2018, a side that finished just 9 points behind the dhims the season prior and took until 2021 to claim the title.

Stats without proper context...
Context is important as you say. When McLeish took over Rangers still had a larger turnover and wage bill than the scum. There was still the core of a good team they, they were underperforming though. When Gerrard took over we were miles behind them financially and our wage bill was far lower. We also had a shambles of a squad.

That obviously still doesn't make Gerrard our greatest manager (he's not), but he definitely faced a rebuild at a bigger disadvantage financially than any Rangers manager during my time.

Context is important as you say. When McLeish took over Rangers still had a larger turnover and wage bill than the scum. There was still the core of a good team they, they were underperforming though. When Gerrard took over we were miles behind them financially and our wage bill was far lower. We also had a shambles of a squad.

That obviously still doesn't make Gerrard our greatest manager (he's not), but he definitely faced a rebuild at a bigger disadvantage financially than any Rangers manager during my time.

There really are some very strange comments on this thread. I understand people could be angry at the way he left but to totally downplay the incredible job he done for us in his time here is baffling to say the least.

That was the whole point of the post.

Honing in on a single factor to declare SG the greatest ever is ludicrous - as most folk have pointed out.

You don't have to hate SG to think he did a good job but is nowhere even close to that kind of level.

That was the whole point of the post.

Honing in on a single factor to declare SG the greatest ever is ludicrous - as most folk have pointed out.

You don't have to hate SG to think he did a good job but is nowhere even close to that kind of level.
Aye, I was agreeing with you :D

After winning the league he was expecting to be backed and wasn't and I believe that was a huge factor in him leaving.
We had a £24m loss about to land. The board couldn’t back him anymore than they did.

If Gerrard threw his toys out of the pram because he didn’t like that, it’s actually even more disappointing.

You're not gonna like this but history will show Gerrard as potentially our greatest ever manager m8
I've read some bat shit crazy opinions on here but that one takes some beating.

Have a look through our history, you'll enjoy finding out about some of the successful teams and managers of the past.

Bill Struth lost more trophies down the back of his couch than SG won.

Rangers finished 5th in 85/86, 15 points behind Celtic. The following season we were champions. As I said, money played a massive part in that and signing England internationalists definitely helped a wee bit.:))

15 points was an even bigger margin in the days of 2 points for a win.

I've read some bat shit crazy opinions on here but that one takes some beating.

Have a look through our history, you'll enjoy finding out about some of the successful teams and managers of the past.

Bill Struth lost more trophies down the back of his couch than SG won.
There has been many managers in our history far more successful than Gerrard, my point is has any of our managers ever been as far behind Celtic on and off the park financially and taken us to be champions.

There has been many managers in our history far more successful than Gerrard, my point is has any of our managers ever been as far behind Celtic on and off the park financially and taken us to be champions.
Stop backtracking. You said he's the greatest Rangers manager ever.

Even at that, he’s absofuukinlutely nowhere near it.
Maybe so but history will look very kindly on Gerrards time with us due to how far behind we were and to where he took us. I really don't think any of our successful managers were ever as far behind Celtic as to what Gerrard was.

He's struggling at Villa and will probably continue to do so. If he thinks this is his stepping stone to Anfield he is seriously mistaken. He'll continue to keep his head above the water against the likes of Forest, Brighton etc but make no inroads against any of the bigger fish. Mid table mediocrity awaits......at best.

He's struggling at Villa and will probably continue to do so. If he thinks this is his stepping stone to Anfield he is seriously mistaken. He'll continue to keep his head above the water against the likes of Forest, Brighton etc but make no inroads against any of the bigger fish. Mid table mediocrity awaits......at best.
His Villa team have started better than Liverpool.

I'm maybe getting mixed up here but our greatest ever manager would surely have to be our most successful?

Managers are judged on what they win

falafel-gifalafel-hazfalafel-icanhasfalafel-reaction-gif-reaction-%D7%A4%D7%9C%D7%90%D7%A4%D7%9C%D7%90%D7%A0%D7%99%D7%9C%D7%A7%D7%91%D7%9C%D7%99%D7%9B%D7%95%D7%9C%D7%A4%D7%9C%D7%90%D7%A4%D7%9C.gif

I'm maybe getting mixed up here but our greatest ever manager would surely have to be our most successful?

Managers are judged on what they win

falafel-gifalafel-hazfalafel-icanhasfalafel-reaction-gif-reaction-%D7%A4%D7%9C%D7%90%D7%A4%D7%9C%D7%90%D7%A0%D7%99%D7%9C%D7%A7%D7%91%D7%9C%D7%99%D7%9B%D7%95%D7%9C%D7%A4%D7%9C%D7%90%D7%A4%D7%9C.gif
We've obviously had managers that's won more than Gerrard but have any lifted us from so far behind.

I dont think he had much option but to take the job its a reasonably big team for someone leaving scottish football but its also such a depressing club that will never do much no matter who the manager is.

Never challenge not go down either its just Villa the middle of the table club that are always so meh. Yeah i know they had some success 40 years ago.

That’s fair enough. He did bring about a massive change in our fortunes, that’s true. However, he took three seasons to do it remember, and the first two were trophyless. He also had the help of a superb back room staff.

The bottom line though is he walked out on us at the worst possible time with absolutely no forewarning, and his achievements are not enough for him to be classed as a Rangers legend.
In the fullness of time I think he will be considered a legend - the man who won our first title in ten years, went unbeaten in the process and stopped a Yahoo TIAR into the bargain? That’s fairly legendary in my book.

Our greatest ever manager though?

Nowhere near it.

We've obviously had managers that's won more than Gerrard but have any lifted us from so far behind.
It’s already been pointed out to you that we finished fifth in the league when Souness took over. Your continued harping on about the same tired point is verging on the desperate and you’re embarrassing yourself.

I don’t think even Gerrard would regard himself as being one of Rangers greatest managers - potentially or otherwise. He was a mere moment in our long and glorious history, and whilst I will be eternally grateful for 55, he’s gone and we move onwards and upwards.

We had a £24m loss about to land. The board couldn’t back him anymore than they did.

If Gerrard threw his toys out of the pram because he didn’t like that, it’s actually even more disappointing.
Rumour has it they promised to back him and didn't.

I think when Gerrard delivered what we asked for etc and the massive increase in squad value he gave us he's quite right to be pissed off the board didn't hold up their end of the bargain

Ultimately the board are quite right to hold off when we posted those losses and covid was unexpected

Both are in the wrong for their own reasons, and both reasons are good reasons IMO

If the board did promise him then I don't think it's so much about throwing the toys out the pram but probably more to do with losing trust and faith in the board..if that happens it's always game over.

Reality is his mates invested in a new club, it was a decent chance to build towards the Liverpool job. He'll forever be remembered for giving us our club back ans the memories we got along the way. I don't think overanalyzing the situation is ideal, we have Gio now we should be focusing on him.

Rumour has it they promised to back him and didn't.

I think when Gerrard delivered what we asked for etc and the massive increase in squad value he gave us he's quite right to be pissed off the board didn't hold up their end of the bargain

Ultimately the board are quite right to hold off when we posted those losses and covid was unexpected

Both are in the wrong for their own reasons, and both reasons are good reasons IMO

If the board did promise him then I don't think it's so much about throwing the toys out the pram but probably more to do with losing trust and faith in the board..if that happens it's always game over.

Reality is his mates invested in a new club, it was a decent chance to build towards the Liverpool job. He'll forever be remembered for giving us our club back ans the memories we got along the way. I don't think overanalyzing the situation is ideal, we have Gio now we should be focusing on him.
I doubt the board promised to back him knowing the full extent of the loss coming down the line. If they did then changed their mind, that is indeed poor, both in terms of making promises they couldn’t keep and ultimately souring relations with a manager who’d just delivered arguably the most important title win in our history.

Instead I’d imagine that once the board realised what they were facing the situation changed and I’m sure it would have been explained to Gerrard.

He would then have had a choice to make: stay and help this club he claimed to get to another title, or bail out when his stock was high. Ultimately he chose the latter.

Which is fair enough, he has his career to think about, but in making the choice he did it revealed that he wasn’t as invested in the club in the manner he’d portrayed himself to be and that’s the bit that I think stuck in the throat of a lot of fans.

Reactions: TQ3
Not entirely sure about the whole failing to back him thing. Gerrard is nothing if not pragmatic and will have known the financial side of things would have changed as a result of the pandemic.

Back