Gerrard talks about Jon Flanagan

I've made my feelings clear, previously - JF is a top signing, pending fitness.

Fans favourite in the making.

Cert.

Jon Flanagan loyal.

I seriously doubt this. But in any case I will never be able to forget that he beat a woman in a sustained and brutal assault. He is deserving of another chance - no more, no less- but I’m sorry it should be with us.

Alcoholics and gamblers can receive support from groups who encourage them to open up and talk about their experiences. There doesn't seem to be a group for those who have committed domestic violence.
I'm not defending JF but I'm already getting irked about the media here who I think will hound him out of Scotland. Opposition supporters will give JF pelters. It may all be too much for him.
A female journo in the ET today has had her say too. Not trying to point score but this witch hunt against JF... Leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Where was the condemnation of Lennon abusing his woman? Or Celtics racist Lee Griffiths ? Or, the cover up of the Paedophile ring at Celtic Park.

It was an important interview, and one that was essential.

People make mistakes, we’ve all done things we regret, and some things more so than others. What’s important is that you show contrition for what you’ve done, show remorse, take your punishment without complaint and ensure you become a better person who will never do it again.

It sounds to me as if he’s done all of these things, and I for one needed to hear it.

He did a sickening thing but it would be wholly unfair for it to define him for the rest of his life. He will know that he’ll be sacked (and rightly so) if anything of a similar nature happens again.

There are people who commit certain crimes that can't be fully trusted with a second chance in life and there are others who hold their hands up and show huge remorse who deserve that second chance.

Jon Flannagan falls into the latter...………..the lad has my full support.

The gaffer just totally gets us. And you know it's not winging it like Pedro, this is a guy who's totally driven, understands what we need and is obsessed.

It would shock me if he totally bombed at us.

I've a feeling he'll eventually be starting at left back as the season goes on. Pretty sure that's where he broke through at Liverpool and played well

You never answered his question though, simple yes or no.

Did you want Gazza sacked?

I thought i did in a round about way,of course he should have been dismissed from his duties,being a great footballer does not make him or anyone else for that matter exempt.

Interesting comments...

“Gerrard said: “If you look at our two attacking full-backs they are very good at what they do, but in certain games we’ll need to go a different way.

DEAL TIME Rangers could make their EIGHTH signing of the summer in next 24 hours
“We can’t just attack and go gung-ho against every single team. Sometimes we’ll need to stiffen it up and go a bit safer, and Jon gives us that option.

He’s well aware of why I’ve brought him in. Some of the challenges I’ll be giving to him will be different. He hasn’t come in to fight for Tavernier’s place or Declan John’s.

“Flanagan has come in to be an important squad member and do the job I ask him to do.

The elusive plan B?

Interesting comments...

“Gerrard said: “If you look at our two attacking full-backs they are very good at what they do, but in certain games we’ll need to go a different way.

DEAL TIME Rangers could make their EIGHTH signing of the summer in next 24 hours
“We can’t just attack and go gung-ho against every single team. Sometimes we’ll need to stiffen it up and go a bit safer, and Jon gives us that option.

He’s well aware of why I’ve brought him in. Some of the challenges I’ll be giving to him will be different. He hasn’t come in to fight for Tavernier’s place or Declan John’s.

“Flanagan has come in to be an important squad member and do the job I ask him to do.

Interesting. Notably, no mention of Wallace either.

If it wasn't for those Knee injuries and latterly the incident this kid could have been in Russia right now.

'He lifted up himself, and said unto them, he that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone...'

It's possible to do three things simultaneously: condemn domestic violence; give an offender a second chance; and point out the rank double-standards of the MSM.

Can we not just do this, and drop the zero-sum debating on here?

Last edited:
There we go. The gaffer has had his say and has explained his decision.

Let that be the end of it now.

Some might still not agree, that’s fine.

Some might be in full agreement, that’s also fine.

Some might even be on the fence, again, that’s fine.

What we need though, is for EVERYONE to be pulling on one direction. There’s a big shiny 55 waiting for us at the destination if we do so. The gaffer has made the decision, so let’s trust it regardless of our own opinion on it.

As for Flanagan, time to show us what you’re made of son.

LET’S GO!
I think we should give the guy some breathing space and kickstart his career with us. Everyone has a past good and bad and no one would know him better than Stevie,who's played along side him. I think he'll be a good acquisition for using an area where we need decent quality to cover.

Steven Gerrard will now be aware of the biased reporting against Rangers. The welcome the Scottish press have given Flanagan is a disgrace and the usual suspects beating the drum of hatred. The media up here are trying to create a witch hunt and encourage the bheasts to take up the baton.

Here are a couple of headlines from recent years and no such witch hunt followed. If there's no connection to Rangers there's no interest is fuelling the fire.

Football boss Neil Lennon in 'knife threat' to mistress after she threatened to tell his partner about affair

Court rules David Goodwillie and former teammate are rapists

Neil Lennon yob beat his pregnant lover

If its good enough for Steven Gerrard then its good enough for me.

I'm sure the boy will get loads of stick from the hygienically challenged, however, the best way to stop that is to whip their howling arses (and that's just the burds) when we play them.

The debate has been done to death and it's the fickle football fan mentality, IMO.

He's here now, we just need to hope he's an excellent acquisition and an asset to the team.

Last edited:
Why can't we have a dedicated thread ,to stick it to Jon Flannagan, much like the ones about, sticking it to The Rangers, on every fans board in Scotland.
Seems, that I am constantly coming on to threads, that descend into the same arguments, about this guy's past.
He's a Rangers player like it or not, that's the reality. I'm looking forward to our first game, to see how all these new guys shape up.

Fewer questions were asked inside or outside our Club when we signed Ian Bl4ck. It's fear that prompts & haunts the haters.

My father in law has just pitched up and as a season ticket holder at Anfield for the past 40-odd years, I just asked him about Flanagan.

First thing was, he surprised to hear he'd gone, but he says he's a fantastic player and was first choice left back at Liverpool.

It goes without saying that we can't get first choice/above average EPL players here without some baggage and trying conditions.

He's going to need every ounce of our support.

Back