Gerrard v Gio what was different tonight?

It just shows this season's problems were easily fixed when the same players can put in a performance like that.

The problem is that makes all those dropped points even worse - we could have been in the CL and still in the cup if the old staff showed a bit more dedication

The attackers were much more direct, we commited more players to attacks and we were much quicker in transition.

The full backs stayed deeper and then one would overlap when the winger on thier side got the ball rather than both just going high in possession.

Kamara seemed to have been allowed to play with the hand break off a bit and was all over the park instead of having to sit to the left behind the ball to cover Barisic.

Last edited:
I liked the fact that aribo was more free'd up in his role, almost playing like a shadow striker.

After the game Gio also stated that he demanded that morelos starts getting into the box more often and stop dropping deep, which i think could end up him becoming the old buffalo we all know and love.

The two main things:

1. Defending slightly deeper (Not talking about the last 10 minutes). In the first half, we looked a good 10/15 years deeper than we usually play. This stopped any balls going in behind or down the flanks.

2. Morelos playing higher up. He gets two goals from the simple change tonight.

More organised, better disciplined, players knowing their roles.

A team that wanted to defend. A team that pressed together and kept their shape. A team that got bodies forward with an actual plan in place - not just sling it wide and cross.

We had bodies in the box, we attacked with control and didn’t leave ourselves open to be torn apart on the counter attack.

We kept it simple when required. We cleared our lines and there was no unnecessary pressure applied to ourselves.

We weren’t over-coached, GvB set up to play to his players strengths.

There wasn’t a mash of instructions and directions from the technical area. GvB took control, he praised his men, he organised them, coached through out the 90 and just guided them when required.

Still areas to improve on -speed we move the ball at times but I was impressed with what the coaching staff have installed in the matter of 2 days.

The interchanging of positions was very noticeable. Looked like a 4-2-3-1 but really fluid in terms of who was playing where. When Patterson came on for example at various points he was right wing, right wing back and even centre forward at one point when Alfie drifted out to the right.

Morelos the main one. Playing right through the middle further up where he's devastating.

Gerrard last year told him to drop deep, and this season he's been like a central midfielder which doesn't suit him one bit.

Starting to think he deliberately made Alfie worse to get the price down as he knew he was leaving :))

I felt we looked more like we did last season tonight. There was more hunger, more energy, better movement.

The one criticism I’d have, which was absolutely true of us under Gerrard too, is that we still lack a ruthlessness.

We should have won that game more comfortably than we did, but it’s very early days so hopefully that’s something Gio and Makaay can start to address.

I feel much more positive seeing the desire and drive from the players.
The lack of it is what's pissed me off with a fair few this season and it's clear now that Gerrard wanting out was a source of that. Well done Gio, keep up the good work.

Morelos the main one. Playing right through the middle further up where he's devastating.

Gerrard last year told him to drop deep, and this season he's been like a central midfielder which doesn't suit him one bit.

Starting to think he deliberately made Alfie worse to get the price down as he knew he was leaving :))
He's just got a humongous ego and thought he could turn Alfie into a player he's blatantly not suited to be and wouldn't give up on it. Thank goodness for Gio recognising that and getting him playing a role that suits him.

I was looking out for changes throughout the match and the most notable change for me was far less onus on the full backs and letting the midfield and forwards do the attacking/make the runs. In the first 20/25 mins Tav clipped a number of balls in behind for Aribo/Hagi/Morelos whereas before all 3 of the players mentioned would have dropped in short to receive the ball and Tav would be on the outside making the run for the next pass.

4-4-2 out of possession was interesting with rotation between Kent, Hagi, and Aribo joining Morelos in the 2 that was pressing.

Only crossing onto the box when we were in behind or when "the percentages" were more in our favour i.e no hit and hope from 30 yards out.

It's been 2 days of Gio but I believe the three things mentioned above are quite easy to implement. Will be intesresting to see if we try to control games with more possession in the future as I think the way we sat off Sparta in the last 20 minutes was a Gerrard Trait.

Straight from kick off we looked to get the ball in behind. It almost got us a goal from the start. I felt we were more direct with our attacking.

We looked a bit mixed up in midfield in the first half, Kamara and Davis getting in each others way and defence towards the end of the game kind of was all over the place but everybody fighting for each other.

No doubt we'll have goals in us and hopefully as its only one training session that Gio has covered, he will have ironed out the rest.

The players simply played the pass the way they were facing, relying on constant movement from teammates to make themselves available. That formation was also perfect last night, in fact playing that way in the league will result in a few doings getting dished out.

I think this team is gonna hand out a few tankings domestically over the next few weeks.

The SPFL dross have had 3 years of us approaching every game in exactly the same way. The dross won't be able to plan for what we are going to bring to the party.

Add into the mix more freedom in attack, more bodies commited to the attack and seemingly looking to counter with speed and numbers, I reckon we will see some skelpings.

We would switch the play from left to right (or right to left) with 4-5 passes under Gerrard.

Last night we were regularly opening up the play like this with just a couple of passes.

Our players always seems to always take too many touches of the ball under Gerrard. (Maybe this was all part of “being patient”).
Last night there was quite a bit of one touch football and being a little more direct and playing with purpose.

It’s early days and we could be reading too much into it but considering Gio has only had two training sessions with the players - it’s a great start.

Bumping this thread.

I found the difference in 48 hours of working quite remarkable.

The staff and players deserve so much credit. I didnt think for a second we would change a great deal short term.

To put the players under the pressure of making changes and to see them carry it out in such a huge match can only serve us well.

Congratulations to all

first of all we clearly pressed higher than we have been recently which paid dividends. Im not entirely sure why Gerrard wasnt implementing that this season like he had done seasons before.

Starting Aribo Kent and Hagi is a must for me as often as we possibly can. they have everything, creativity, work rate and awareness to get in between the lines and create space for themselves and others.

Morelos was more direct, which suits him alot more. he still ran the channels like he used to and won free kicks.

Cant get carried away but it certainly felt more direct and we played with a little less width than we did under Gerrard.
The difference being he’s One of Us!

Gio is one of us! Unbelievable singing his name throughout, loved it! Gerrard didn’t get that, not his fault he could have but he worked his ticket from the start of the season.

Gio is a proven manager,Gerrard is more of a apprentice manager

Back