Gerrard's cup record is a contrast

TheRamblingGer

Good afternoon fellow Bears.

I've produced another wee article this week in relation to our cup record under Gerrard but also discuss our expectations as fans.

Little late posting as I've been organising sponsors for my son doing the Rangers charity championship challenge.

I hope you like it and as always I'm open to all feedback and any tips as I'm still very raw when it comes to this type of thing.

I reckon that psychologically, all our efforts have went into the League campaign and European competition, where we have excelled.

I think there's something in that, and definitely for the St. Mirren game I believe that's the case, but the thing that bugs me about the SC is the league was already won and we were out of Europe. All our efforts should have switched at that point.

But then I suppose that’s a lot easier said than done when mentally they must be knackered.

I reckon that psychologically, all our efforts have went into the League campaign and European competition, where we have excelled.
And don’t forget all that started with EL qualifiers. To go all the way to the last match of the season and win that and remain unbeaten in the league would have been truly outstanding. It’s disappointing but no real surprise for this Rangers team. They have given everything.

A Scottish Cup win would definitely have been a bonus and the league was the ultimate priority but I'm still so frustrated by Sunday night. Failing to progress at home against a team who are 49 points behind us in the league is a tough one to take. I know cup shocks are common but the fact we'd played them 4 days prior and had a good look at them then makes it more annoying. We made the exact same sloppy start as we did in Perth and they took confidence from that, we should really have set out to assert our dominance early. Easier said than done if players aren't at full tilt though.

It's probably new territory for a lot of these players in terms of mentality, most won't have won a league or been in a position like Sunday posed so perhaps it's all part of the learning curve for them. Hopefully they can keep making the strides we've seen over the past few seasons

Both of which were absolutely essential. Nobody knows if we took our eye off the ball in the cups due to putting everything into the league and Europe, but one things certain - if we’d taken our eye off the league or Europe for a cup, this season and next season would look very different.

I know we have won the league in a canter and that was the number 1 objective at the start of the season.Despite this I think we are still a work in progress,that may sound crazy given our European performances.However Stevie G has improved the level of player every season and I would expect him to do it again this summer with a couple also moving on.

Win the title next year all that matters, that CL spot is crucial. Cups are for mugs.
Ridiculous statement.
The league will always be paramount but our entire history is entwined with the Scottish Cup.
The League Cup has provided many famous victories too.

I fear we have a generation of fans that simply do not understand or appreciate what these cups mean to my generation and those who have gone before.

A sad state of affairs.

I know we have won the league in a canter and that was the number 1 objective at the start of the season.Despite this I think we are still a work in progress,that may sound crazy given our European performances.However Stevie G has improved the level of player every season and I would expect him to do it again this summer with a couple also moving on.
That might not be quite the way it works. Let's say we sell Alfie and Kamara and let's imagine that brings in £30m. We'll buy two hopeful gems, but they will not be contributing to the same level day one. That's a reality that we might need to be prepared for.

Ridiculous statement.
The league will always be paramount but our entire history is entwined with the Scottish Cup.
The League Cup has provided many famous victories too.

I fear we have a generation of fans that simply do not understand or appreciate what these cups mean to my generation and those who have gone before.

A sad state of affairs.
It's all about money now mate. I'm 56, the cups mean a lot to me, but I guess to the board, the league, CL qualification will be crucial, Cups now a mere nice to have.

Win the title next year all that matters, that CL spot is crucial. Cups are for mugs.
Absolute pish. You wouldn't be shouting that had we won on Sunday night.

Fwiw as a supporter whether we win the league or not I expect us to reach at least the Semis of any domestic cup. The league is our bread and butter but we need to add cups to our hauls from now on. If we lose the league in any of the coming seasons I'd expect at least one of either the LC or SC to end the year with.

And don’t forget all that started with EL qualifiers. To go all the way to the last match of the season and win that and remain unbeaten in the league would have been truly outstanding. It’s disappointing but no real surprise for this Rangers team. They have given everything.
Agree with this. There is no doubt that the early start to the season has been one of the main reasons that our form has dipped since January for the last three seasons. A later start to next season will help.

The cup would have been the cherry on the cake but it wasn't to be. If we can keep the main core of this team ( I expect a couple will leave ) and add three or four quality additions. The cups will come.

In terms of psychology, my opinion is the team are, for want of a better word, learning how to win and learning what it means when they win. I am very happy with the season as a whole and I am confident we will continue to improve. I am disappointed but not dissatisfied with the domestic cup performances and think we could have seen off Slavia. It has been a long time since I’ve enjoyed a season like this one and I’m going to make the most of it.

That might not be quite the way it works. Let's say we sell Alfie and Kamara and let's imagine that brings in £30m. We'll buy two hopeful gems, but they will not be contributing to the same level day one. That's a reality that we might need to be prepared for.
Transfers carry an element of risk but hopefully if we did bring in that kind of money we could afford to bring in one or two proven performers.

I think people are being a bit silly if they’re “expecting” doubles from now on.
I didn’t do any of my own verification but I read something that said in our history, we’ve only ever won 11 league and cup doubles (plus 7 trebles). Assuming it’s right, it’s not exactly like we were doing them regularly in the past.

The thing with the domestic cups is that teams in the lower divisions arent even giving it their best shot now.

They put their priorities into a play off or avoiding relegation. That's just the way the games went.

Personally if they dumped the league cup, I wouldn't be too bothered. Throw in the qualifiers for Europe and it's not far off playing 2 different leagues in the one season.

My take on this season is, I'm as happy as a pig in parkhead and nothing is going to change that for me.

I didn’t do any of my own verification but I read something that said in our history, we’ve only ever won 11 league and cup doubles (plus 7 trebles). Assuming it’s right, it’s not exactly like we were doing them regularly in the past.
The reason a double is seen as an achievement is because they don’t happen that often. The poets winning stuff when everybody else was so weak that they could spread mental and physical pressure over all domestic competitions without breaking sweat will skew things for some people.

The reason a double is seen as an achievement is because they don’t happen that often. The poets winning stuff when everybody else was so weak that they could spread mental and physical pressure over all domestic competitions without breaking sweat will skew things for some people.
Agree with this. I think the unprecedented circumstances that led to their trebles has probably made expectations of doing it ourselves higher and made it seem an easier feat than it actually is.

A lot of people downplaying the cups

we are rangers ffs. We should be winning these especially after papping the mentally challengeds out

A lot of people downplaying the cups

we are rangers ffs. We should be winning these especially after papping the mentally challengeds out
The cups are being downplayed by the clubs themselves.

When, say the likes of raith rovers start playing weaker teams in the cups, because they put their league position as a priority, then you know it's a busted flush.

The domestic cups were more of thing in Britain, never was a big deal in europe. With a lot more European games now being played, we have now went down the same path.

Sadly that's the way the games went now and it's totally money driven, even for lower league Scottish clubs. Cup day used to be a big thing in scotland and england, not any more.

Back