Gerrard's record against them is not spoken about enough

Before folk jump in, I'm not saying bring him back, that ship has sailed.

However, since he left, our record against them is nothing short of deplorable.

He got what these games meant and what you had to do to win them. We were structured, disciplined and counter pressed them superbly.

Yes, he didn't get it right every time (2-0 loss at Ibrox with Defoe up front a very bad one) but a record of 8 wins in 13 is something we would kill for right now.

We don't look like we hate them the same way they do us and are feared of their squad.

Clement needs to summon some of this sort of attitude (easier said than done with this squad) starting with the cup final, or he'll be the latest manager with a short stint as our manager.
We still rely on players from that era, mental.

Yes. In nearly every position.
If McCrorie, Arfield and Jack are a better midfield than Lundstram, Diomande and Lawrence considering the comparative spend on each we have massive issues beyond simply “the players are rubbish”

As said above, the manager has committed to £4.5m on Diomande already.

He fuuked off without finishing the job & now he’ll never get his dream job
He got offered a job in the world's biggest league, and our board didn't back him. Every club in the world would struggle to stop a player or manager from going to the EPL, but when your manager wins the league and you don't give him the backing to take the club forward - it makes leaving a whole lot easier.

If McCrorie, Arfield and Jack are a better midfield than Lundstram, Diomande and Lawrence considering the comparative spend on each we have massive issues beyond simply “the players are rubbish”

Gerrard beat them with poorer players. We've been terrible against them since he left.

Dio I like. And I get that Arfield and Jack play in different positions, but it sums us up when we give Jack an extension and he spends 99.9% of the time on the treatment table, and we don't offer Arfield who was 1 of the few players we had that got it mentally.

Wonder how much he regrets being tempted by Villa's money and promises of millions to spend ?
OK he's creaming the money now but honestly who gives a %^*& about the Saudi league !

Wonder how much he regrets being tempted by Villa's money and promises of millions to spend ?
OK he's creaming the money now but honestly who gives a %^*& about the Saudi league !
Wonder how much our board regret renegaing on promises of backing.

That’s really the benchmark for Clement then - he has to make four or five initial signings that instantly impact the team like McGregor, Goldson, Arfield and Kent did.

If £4.5m is already committed for Diomande that’s a big pressure on him being a success in that regards. And we can’t pretend today he had a a good game.

Agreed. I'm not sure that money would be well spent, I have to say.

He got what these games meant and what you had to do to win them. We were structured, disciplined and counter pressed them superbly.

Yes, he didn't get it right every time (2-0 loss at Ibrox with Defoe up front a very bad one) but a record of 8 wins in 13 is something we would kill for right now.

We don't look like we hate them the same way they do us and are feared of their squad.

Clement needs to summon some of this sort of attitude (easier said than done with this squad) starting with the cup final, or he'll be the latest manager with a short stint as our manager.
I mentioned Gerrard’s record against them on here a few weeks back mate. He showed them no respect, hated them as much as we as fans do and knew they couldn’t handle being pressed and controlled.

The mentality he had against them left with him.

Dio I like. And I get that Arfield and Jack play in different positions, but it sums us up when we give Jack an extension and he spends 99.9% of the time on the treatment table, and we don't offer Arfield who was 1 of the few players we had that got it mentally.
I like Dio also, but do I like him enough for £4.5m?

That’s a huge wad for us - it has to be game changers for that amount of money.

Gerrard taught our team to hate them, their existence, every single thing about them & it showed in our performances.

Some of those same players have forgotten that & new players don’t have the stomach we had under Gerrard to hate those cunts. Silva has been (rightfully!) slaughtered for his performances on the park & he’s helping that wee googled eye lady's front bottom with his cramp, %^*& that. Cannot even explain how much it boils my blood to see the team not hate them.

The issue is/was Ross Wilson signing utter shite.

Diomande looks decent. Lundstram and Lawrence are garbage.

Gerrard could beat them even when we were under strength. We've lacked leadership as a club since he left and seriously struggled to beat them.

Hated Gerrard when he left but would have him back in a heart beat. The only manager in recent years who learned how to play old firm games after the first defeat then dominated them. Didn’t go into the next ones with the exact same plan and hope it works.

He’s also the only manager in recent years who had us looking like a proper well coached side that had a system that worked no matter what players we rotated.

Hated Gerrard when he left but would have him back in a heart beat. The only manager in recent years who learned how to play old firm games after the first defeat then dominated them. Didn’t go into the next ones with the exact same plan and hope it works.

He’s also the only manager in recent years who had us looking like a proper well coached side that had a system that worked no matter what players we rotated.
That's quite a turnaround however I agree.

"not spoken about enough"? It's brought up before and after every old firm game to be fair, hardly the first thread. Your analysis about what he got right is valid, but he's a different manager who played at a different time against a different team and who moved on. Pointless looking back to him. Walter Smith got a lot right too, as did Dick Advocaat, as did...

This is the team that beat them 1-0 at Ibrox (Jack goal)

McGregor
Tavernier
Goldson
Worrall
Halliday
McCrorie
Candeias (Coulibaly)
Arfield (Flanagan)
Jack
Kent
Morelos

Morelos obviously a massive upgrade but is the rest of that team really any better than what we have now?

And that was against a far superior Celtic side.
Coached well in these games and Europe. Struggled against the dross and their low block. We still struggled against the dross but mentally challengeds pump us.

Gerrard matched them in midfield with players who had courage on the ball. If we persist playing a 10 against them, then we will always struggle.

Its Time for a change in formation and if we don't have any wingers that are good enough, then ditch the wingers.

This square pegs in round holes is infuriating.

It’s been three years this Autumn since he left and it feels like we’re both back to square one. We’ve become perennial runners-up again, whereas Gerrard has completely ruined his reputation as a promising young manager.

There was a different feel around Rangers when Stevie was our manager, you could tell we were building towards something special and it finally arrived with 55.

I don’t think we’ll ever go back in for him (nor should we) but we need someone with a similar gravitas to come in and grab this club by the scruff of the neck again.

Last edited:

The final is already gone as was the league after the Ibrox game…..I was 100% of the mind that Clement with his one brand new team was the man…..but even that I’m not so sure of now!! Repeatedly standing by players who let him, their teammates, the supporters and themselves down isn’t what I expect from a Rangers Manager!!

You can’t in one hand say this team are full of bottle crashers and also not recognise number of those games under Gerrard were closed stadiums

Much like when we only seem to start playing when 0-2 down, lot easier to play without a crowd on top of you

Only five were in closed stadiums.

His final old firm we had a load of players out with covid and Balogun at right back.

Gerrard managed a win against them from his house.

We did that by controlling the midfield.

He got offered a job in the world's biggest league, and our board didn't back him. Every club in the world would struggle to stop a player or manager from going to the EPL, but when your manager wins the league and you don't give him the backing to take the club forward - it makes leaving a whole lot easier.
His move to villa was a disaster for us & for him

Back