Gerrard's record against them is not spoken about enough

Gerrard absolutely got what these games meant because he was a born winner steeped in bitter British football rivalries.

There’s just no way Clement gets that to the same degree.

He may in time prove himself to be a more adept coach, but to win these games you just have to want it more and I’m not sure any foreign manager will ever really get that (Advocaat obviously, but he was playing with a hugely superior budget initially).

We sorely miss the contempt he showed for them. They're not just another team. We need Clement to realise that. I hoped Rodgers' pish about having fun was the start of that.
Clement fucked it again with a weird line up. Sooner people start realising this guy isn’t the messiah the better

Nothing has ever changed.

If you win the midfield battle, most OF games you’ll win.

I’ve been saying that for over 4 1/2 decades.
I agree 100%. I have bored fellow fans for over 50 years by saying most Old Firm games in that time have been won and lost in the middle of the park. Admittedly I have absolutely no statistics to back this up. It is purely based on "The eye test"

Clement fucked it again with a weird line up. Sooner people start realising this guy isn’t the messiah the better
What was the alternative though? The bench was even weaker. Ridvan isn't fully fit and he's been quite clear on the fact that our players need looked after more in recovery. We have a front 3 of Sima, Cortes and Danilo that would have all started but all injured too. He's made some mistakes granted but far too early to press the panic button yet.

This is the team that beat them 1-0 at Ibrox (Jack goal)

McGregor
Tavernier
Goldson
Worrall
Halliday
McCrorie
Candeias (Coulibaly)
Arfield (Flanagan)
Jack
Kent
Morelos

Morelos obviously a massive upgrade but is the rest of that team really any better than what we have now?

And that was against a far superior Celtic side.
I get what you are saying but the team listed there had an identity and a clear hunger that day. But the biggest factor imo was the energy and fitness levels.

Whether it's Rodgers, Lennon or Fat Ange they do not enjoy being pressed. The team that day you have listed were supremely fit and as a result could do what Gerrard wanted to last whistle. Our current team are dead on their feet because of the shambolic pre-season Beale organised.

Halliday had a fine game that day for example, albeit he didn't feature much going forward from that game.

Tav and Goldson were a number of years younger and less scarred than what they are now.

As unpopular as Worrall was he did play premier league football for Forest and he was very good when he was switched on.

Candeias and McCrorie although they had their limitations they were supremely fit and were constantly pressing them.

The difference from peak Morelos to Dessers today is as big a difference as I've seen in 30 years of watching us. Dessers was as ineffective today as Boyd was in OF games.

The final is already gone as was the league after the Ibrox game…..I was 100% of the mind that Clement with his one brand new team was the man…..but even that I’m not so sure of now!! Repeatedly standing by players who let him, their teammates, the supporters and themselves down isn’t what I expect from a Rangers Manager!!
Who's he supposed to play though?

If he decides 'right I'm never playing Tav, goldson, barisic, lundstram or dessers ever again', with Cortes and Danilo still out, then the options beneath that are either youths or players we already knew weren't good enough.

So he runs the risk of terrible results and also collapsing the value of players who still might have some value.

The summer is huge for him, and I think he'll be quite ruthless.

Gerrard built a really good squad, all guys at a good age who should've been sellable assets with some experience thrown in as well.

Ultimately we massively underachieved under him. Certainly the year we won 2-1 at Parkhead at New Year we really should've went on and won the league that year.

We eventually got to the top of the mountain and.. took our eye of the ball.

We needed to be ruthless that summer and see a good clear out of players who had been there a few years and bring in a higher quality to get us to that CL level.

Transfer window by transfer window since 55 we have got progressively worse all because we've had no footballs structure and no long term planning in place.

3 managers later in such a short space of time we're back to square one.

Gerrard built a really good squad, all guys at a good age who should've been sellable assets with some experience thrown in as well.

Ultimately we massively underachieved under him. Certainly the year we won 2-1 at Parkhead at New Year we really should've went on and won the league that year.

We eventually got to the top of the mountain and.. took our eye of the ball.

We needed to be ruthless that summer and see a good clear out of players who had been there a few years and bring in a higher quality to get us to that CL level.

Transfer window by transfer window since 55 we have got progressively worse all because we've had no footballs structure and no long term planning in place.

3 managers later in such a short space of time we're back to square one.
Massively underachieved dear me. We won an undefeated league title with our record points total 102 points breaking other records of goals conceded. We had players like Morelos, Kent, Kamara, Patterson, Aribo all sellable assets and we beat Celtic consistently. Maybe we should kid on we played well and tell each other they won't continue to dominate after winning the £60m champions league riches.

This is the team that beat them 1-0 at Ibrox (Jack goal)

McGregor
Tavernier
Goldson
Worrall
Halliday
McCrorie
Candeias (Coulibaly)
Arfield (Flanagan)
Jack
Kent
Morelos

Morelos obviously a massive upgrade but is the rest of that team really any better than what we have now?

And that was against a far superior Celtic side.
Mccrorie, Jack, Arfield.

A midfield 3 low on technical ability but they'd kick their own granny. That's why Gerrard won these games. He understood you needed to physically dominate the middle of the park and have legs in there.

Yeah because losing to them continually is great. Dear me wake up.
Losing the league the majority of the time and every cup we completed for wasn’t any better. Only thing you seem to care about is Gerrard and old firm games, where he won’t have the luxury of going against Lennon year in year out. Have some dignity man.

FYI the current manager has already achieved far more than Gerrard in the game, has already matched Gerrard’s trophy haul, and that’s before he’s even got his own squad together.

Losing the league the majority of the time and every cup we completed for wasn’t any better. Only thing you seem to care about is Gerrard and old firm games, where he won’t have the luxury of going against Lennon year in year out. Have some dignity man.

FYI the current manager has already achieved far more than Gerrard in the game, has already matched Gerrard’s trophy haul, and that’s before he’s even got his own squad together.
That's good you'll be ecstatic with them winning the league then, I seriously doubt it.

Before folk jump in, I'm not saying bring him back, that ship has sailed.

However, since he left, our record against them is nothing short of deplorable.

He got what these games meant and what you had to do to win them. We were structured, disciplined and counter pressed them superbly.

Yes, he didn't get it right every time (2-0 loss at Ibrox with Defoe up front a very bad one) but a record of 8 wins in 13 is something we would kill for right now.

We don't look like we hate them the same way they do us and are feared of their squad.

Clement needs to summon some of this sort of attitude (easier said than done with this squad) starting with the cup final, or he'll be the latest manager with a short stint as our manager.
Unlike is successors Gerrard didn't fear them.

Should we have blind faith and keep with managers that can't beat them.

Who's he supposed to play though?

If he decides 'right I'm never playing Tav, goldson, barisic, lundstram or dessers ever again', with Cortes and Danilo still out, then the options beneath that are either youths or players we already knew weren't good enough.

So he runs the risk of terrible results and also collapsing the value of players who still might have some value.

The summer is huge for him, and I think he'll be quite ruthless.
He’s not had the worry of collapsing the value of Lundstram, he still came out and partly defended him, by talking up his previous performances! That’s just weak imho…..he no longer needs to defend the indefensible…..leadership is about know when to say the right things for the benefit of the team and knowing when to call out what’s not acceptable or tolerable!!

What was the alternative though? The bench was even weaker. Ridvan isn't fully fit and he's been quite clear on the fact that our players need looked after more in recovery. We have a front 3 of Sima, Cortes and Danilo that would have all started but all injured too. He's made some mistakes granted but far too early to press the panic button yet.
You play Ridvan from start. Just take a chance

You don’t start Lawrence as he’s a passenger in any game where it’s a battle

As soon as you see lundstrum (who has downed tools for last ten weeks) having a mare you get him off the park. If Cantwell had gave as little effort as John did we all know PC would have hauled him off.

Absolutely pathetic we’re still crying over Gerrard.

Is this how bad it is when we can’t let go of the guy?

Imo his record against them means %^*& all now and meant %^*& all back then as he failed to win the anything other than one league title.

Hear me out, bring back Gerro for the derby games and get Callum Davidson in for the cups.

If we draw sellick in the cups, then shit, let them fight it out in NEH.

Instead our fanbase tried to talk it down when he left.

He understood to win the games against them, then you needed to have some control of the game, especially the middle of the pitch. He largely dominated these areas under him positionally.

Our current manager instead encourages us to lob it up the park constantly and to have disorganised press that just lets them run off our midfield.

He also saw them for what they were, showed them zero respect and had absolutely no fear of them. Before and after him, we've behaved like shitebags in most games against them.

The number of Rangers fans (and Tims) saying Celtic collapsed that season irks me.

We never lost a league game, we won every league game played at Ibrox, we went nine consecutive games without conceding from day one, and set the record for the least goals conceded in a Premier League season.

Celtic didn't collapse, Rangers wiped the floor with them, and the entire league.

Now look what we have.

That's good you'll be ecstatic with them winning the league then, I seriously doubt it.
Hang on a second, pre 55 you were the one who said if we went a 3rd season trophyless you’d still keep Gerrard, so why does winning the league matter to you all of a sudden? Your loyalties seemingly lie with a Liverpool legend you’ve got a deep crush on. I’d also like to remind everyone you once stated he was probably our greatest ever manager, ahead of Walter, ahead of Struth, because 55, that’s the level of infatuation we’re talking about.

You were advocating for letting a manager go into his 4th season trophyless, and are now advocating for replacing a manager who’s only just in the door, has one trophy in the bag and doesn’t even have his own core group of players. And advocating for replacing him with a guy who managed one honour in 3.5 years, less than St Johnstone over the same period. To say that’s strange would be an understatement bud. But hey, tell us more about how he wasnt backed with Park’s magic money tree.

Gerrard absolutely got what these games meant because he was a born winner steeped in bitter British football rivalries.

There’s just no way Clement gets that to the same degree.

He may in time prove himself to be a more adept coach, but to win these games you just have to want it more and I’m not sure any foreign manager will ever really get that (Advocaat obviously, but he was playing with a hugely superior budget initially).
Advocaat was the exception to the rule. The budget he had, the world class players

Non british managers dont tend to ne successful in scotland. We have this strange wee league. Everyone knows what i mean by that. It sounds daft but the evidence is there. Other than Advocaat postacoglou is the only other one that can see was a success mainly due to his style of play which works in a team where your budget is 10x most of the league. Its being shown not to work sown south but he treated the rest of the league including us with contempt

Back