Gerrard's record against them is not spoken about enough

Massively underachieved dear me. We won an undefeated league title with our record points total 102 points breaking other records of goals conceded. We had players like Morelos, Kent, Kamara, Patterson, Aribo all sellable assets and we beat Celtic consistently. Maybe we should kid on we played well and tell each other they won't continue to dominate after winning the £60m champions league riches.
But we didn't sell Morelos or Kent, as Gerrard refused to sell any of his squad.

We did underachieve, we had a golden chance of a treble the 55 season but blew it.

The champions league riches you speak of were within our reach if we beat Malmo, but Gerrard already had one eye on leaving and the players were under prepared going into those games.

Steven Gerrard: the manager who was afforded 2 full seasons without a trophy (the longest since the 1950s I believe) and won 1/9 but is seen as some sort of messiah because he got his team to hate our rivals.

But we didn't sell Morelos or Kent, as Gerrard refused to sell any of his squad.

We did underachieve, we had a golden chance of a treble the 55 season but blew it.

The champions league riches you speak of were within our reach if we beat Malmo, but Gerrard already had one eye on leaving and the players were under prepared going into those games.
It's all correct so if Gerrard failed in Europe and to stop them doing 10iar where would we be. I'll state again Gerrard could beat Celtic regularly we've not had a manager since that could do that. It was posted earlier in the thread we've only beat them twice in 14 games since he left one of which was a dead rubber and the other in extra time. After today's game it maybe 2 in 15.

Steven Gerrard: the manager who was afforded 2 full seasons without a trophy (the longest since the 1950s I believe) and won 1/9 but is seen as some sort of messiah because he got his team to hate our rivals.
The same manager who went almost 3 years undefeated against Celtic got a club record of 102 points and broke a British record for goals conceded in our club's most important season. I think we're discussing the same manager.

The same manager who went almost 3 years undefeated against Celtic got a club record of 102 points and broke a British record for goals conceded in our club's most important season. I think we're discussing the same manager.
None of this contradicts what I’ve said. Clement is still on course to finish closer to Celtic on points than Gerrard did in his first two seasons but you’d think because SG won more Old Firms than Clement has that he’s on par with Walter Smith.
Don’t forget people were pitifully applauding Gerrard on the 8th minute at home to Hamilton, a game we lost. Are Old Firms the only thing we should be judging managers on?

Last edited:
On the subject of Gerrard, he also inherited a shitshow and in each of his first two seasons, we clawed back a deficit only to collapse after the winter break. In fact, but for covid curtailing his second season, his jacket could have been on a shoogly peg. After the winter shutdown, we lost to Killie, Hearts and home to Hamilton Accies and also drew with the sheep and St. Johnstone. There were fairly loud grumblings after the Accies game in particular. A week later, the season was curtailed and the following season we won #55. Now the shitshow Clement inherited may not have been as bad as Gerrard's but the flip side of that was that Gerrard had a pre-season and a good number of his own signings on day 1 of his first season, while PC came in mid-season and has pretty much had to work with what he inherited. It took Gerrard until his third season to win the title. Clement at least deserves his own pre-season, his own summer transfer window and next season before he can be properly judged. He's been operating with one hand tied behind his back since he arrived.

you're reeking mate. the 1/9 patter comes straight from the simpletons.

gerrard winning nothing and getting 2 seasons was purely to do with the fact he had inherited the worst Rangers team in history, we were a joke everywhere - 2 seasons to turn it round was fine.

Just remember that one out of 9 was the one that the scum had been singing about for a decade. That's what really hurts them.

Our record since he left in old firm games is a shambles. You will like to think that managers since him would look to the record he had and think what he done correct but for some reason ours just don’t do that and look in the games like today fail
the fans yet again.

The He Hated Celtic Trophy parade was a cracking day.
Here's a picture of it. this is what happens when you make sure you go toe-to-toe with your biggest rivals.

6f801ff7542fc5c917e866a76f935fe9.png

You do know that was at the end of his 3rd season as manager and his only trophy?
yup, after inheriting the worst rangers team in history, routinely getting pumped 4/5-0 by the scum.

Winning the league and stopping their tainted 10 - I couldn't give a toss that he didn't pick up the league cup in those years.

Yes Stevie’s record against them was unreal but he still only won 1 trophy, I won’t care if they beat us as long as we won the league

What Gerrard done for us was a miracle tbh.

The fact we won the league, unbeaten at that, so soon was frankly unbelievable.

Anyone who thought before Gerrard took over that we were stopping 10 in a row and genuinely believe it was off their head. 10 in a row was a certainty and 15,20 was a strong possibility.

you're reeking mate. the 1/9 patter comes straight from the simpletons.

gerrard winning nothing and getting 2 seasons was purely to do with the fact he had inherited the worst Rangers team in history, we were a joke everywhere - 2 seasons to turn it round was fine.

Just remember that one out of 9 was the one that the scum had been singing about for a decade. That's what really hurts them.
1/9 isn’t patter mate it’s a stat. Just like the stats people are using as a stick to beat our current manager with.

Last edited:
So instead of Lawrence and lundstram who are you starting? Ridvan has played about 10 mins in months and we were praising PC for recognising we've mismanaged our injured players for too long, but you'd have chucked him in today? I want Barisic gone btw but he never cost us today.

I've seen a lot of posts about how the manager got it wrong with the team selection but no one has given any team that would have been any better. You seen the bench the same as me, there was nothing to be done.
Did Ridvan look like he was struggling last week or when he came on today. You try it, this game meant everything. You take a risk.

What about Raskin, when he came on, did he not produce more fight and hustle than lundstrum has shown in last few games, think about it.

Of course there were better options, both starring and during the course of the game.

If you couldn’t see lundstrum was just strolling, jogging, miles off his man then your watching different game to me.

Gerrard won the league - sensational

Gerrard never won a cup - pish

Gerrard also fucked off at the first EPL club to flash its raised skirt at him

I love the man for what he did but lets not blur the camera for him - he left
He had the scums number, even outside of 55. Pointless to deny it.

Gerrard took a while to get the better of them and they were falling apart under Lennon. It speaks volumes that the only time we have got the better of them in recent years was in the one season when they were self-destructing.

Gerrard had a fantastic OF record but there are a few things worth considering when comparing him to Clement.

Of the 13 games he managed against them 10 were against Lennon. I think most would agree he is a poorer manager than Rodgers.

When Gerrard was managing us in the large majority of those matches he had Arfield, Davis, Jack & Kamara playing so we were never overrun in midfield and the majority we dominated the midfield.

Clement on the other hand has Lundstram, Diomande, Raskin and Dowell to choose from. I very much doubt any of those will have the career Arfield, Davis or Kamara had/will have.

Finally, Gerrard had Morelos and Defoe as his 2 striking options to select from. Clement has Dessers and a completely knackered Roofe.

This isn't to dismiss Gerrards OF record, its more to evidence why Clement is being unfairly compared to him.

Gerrard understood the fixture, knew how to approach it, and had the players playing with some balls.

It’s a mentality issue with a lot of these players. They don’t hate Celtic, they don’t like the fixture.

You will never win the league if you can’t beat Celtic. You must beat them twice at home as a minimum.

Gerrard had a fantastic OF record but there are a few things worth considering when comparing him to Clement.

Of the 13 games he managed against them 10 were against Lennon. I think most would agree he is a poorer manager than Rodgers.

He is but Lennon isn't a halfwit either.

Go look at his record v Walter first time around - 8 games, 4 wins. Walter only beat him twice.

Last edited:
Gerrard took a while to get the better of them and they were falling apart under Lennon. It speaks volumes that the only time we have got the better of them in recent years was in the one season when they were self-destructing.
They were mate, but we played tremendously well against everyone that season, not just them, with terrific contributions from all areas of the team.

True but surely the league is the important one especially with the finances involved in the champions league. Hopefully the board can back Clement in the summer to give him his own team.
You need to actually qualify for the CL to get the money, not get pumped off a 10 man Swedish outfit at Ibrox.

You need to actually qualify for the CL to get the money, not get pumped off a 10 man Swedish outfit at Ibrox.
That's true but had we won the league this year it's straight entry into the champions league which would've boosted our finances massively as it's more money this year around £60m.

Before folk jump in, I'm not saying bring him back, that ship has sailed.

However, since he left, our record against them is nothing short of deplorable.

He got what these games meant and what you had to do to win them. We were structured, disciplined and counter pressed them superbly.

Yes, he didn't get it right every time (2-0 loss at Ibrox with Defoe up front a very bad one) but a record of 8 wins in 13 is something we would kill for right now.

We don't look like we hate them the same way they do us and are feared of their squad.

Clement needs to summon some of this sort of attitude (easier said than done with this squad) starting with the cup final, or he'll be the latest manager with a short stint as our manager.
I’d take him back, he had the Indian sign over the filth, we never lost to any team domestically or in Europe by more than two clear goals. As a guy steeped in the desire and ambition of an iconic club, he got what it is to represent Rangers and should’ve been given everything he required to succeed.

When Ferguson took over at MU, he put his mark on every aspect of the club, setting and resetting standards of pride, ambition and excellence. I felt that SG was, despite some shaky moments beginning to deliver on a similar agenda. I can’t pretend to know what went wrong and the whys and wherefore’s of why he left…but I think in and about a club like ours he was the real deal.

Massively underachieved dear me. We won an undefeated league title with our record points total 102 points breaking other records of goals conceded. We had players like Morelos, Kent, Kamara, Patterson, Aribo all sellable assets and we beat Celtic consistently. Maybe we should kid on we played well and tell each other they won't continue to dominate after winning the £60m champions league riches.

Gerrard won 1 trophy from an available 9. That’s underachieving for the squad we had.

Especially the 55 season being knocked out the cups by St Mirren & St Johnstone

Do you not think our form was adding to the pressure causing them to self destruct and fall apart.

Stevie G instilled a mentality and tried to sign players with that mentality. That was the first criteria ability came second. They played in his image

Back