Getting out of the group after losing first 2 games

4 straight group stage appearances while qualifying against CL level teams galatasaray and midtylland , beating other quality teams like legia .

3 straight knock out stage appearances in the EL

We have definitely improved immensely on that stage and we should’ve beat slavia last season but didn’t do ourselves justice

4 straight group stage appearances while qualifying against CL level teams galatasaray and midtylland , beating other quality teams like legia .

3 straight knock out stage appearances in the EL

We have definitely improved immensely on that stage and we should’ve beat slavia last season but didn’t do ourselves justice

In 40 years of going to Ibrox, I've never known steady European performances and results like this. We're maybe not at the very top table just now and the CL is a massive step up but even when you consider the talent at our disposal during the Souness, Smith and Advocaat years, we could never compete in the Uefa cup to the level we do now on a regular basis either.

In 40 years of going to Ibrox, I've never known steady European performances and results like this. We're maybe not at the very top table just now and the CL is a massive step up but even when you consider the talent at our disposal during the Souness, Smith and Advocaat years, we could never compete in the Uefa cup to the level we do now on a regular basis either.
Completely agree , we usually had one good season followed by a few disappointments .

Last night , we were massively improved against a good side .

I’m hoping for a strong showing against Lyon allowing confidence to grow going forward

It’s similar to the fact that we have shown this season in games that even when we go one goal down the team has the ability to come back and win. Even against Aberdeen, two goals down we were still able to turn the game around to secure a draw. Obviously Hibs was the anomaly there but we’ve shown consistently this season that when we are behind the team has the resilience and mentality to bounce back. To lose the first two games yet still qualify is magnificent from a set of players some posters here have written off as mentally weak.

It’s one of the biggest differences between us and the paedos this season. When Celtic go behind they have rarely shown that they have the mentality and resilience to fight back. I think Aberdeen away was the only game so far where they have managed to respond to conceding and win the game late on. I mean just look how they crumbled last night, 10 minutes to go before a hugely important away win and they totally fell apart under the pressure.

It gives me confidence that if the worst was to happen domestically and we somehow fall behind on points in the league, I have confidence in the players that they will be able to fight back and claw back the deficit.

Completely agree , we usually had one good season followed by a few disappointments .

Last night , we were massively improved against a good side .

I’m hoping for a strong showing against Lyon allowing confidence to grow going forward

It'll be inetersting to see how we approach that game. Money form a draw / win and co-efficients aside, it's a complete dead rubber.

I don't imagine we play the B team and take a skelping but it's a game that means literally nothing in among a challenging set of league fixtures.

It's fantastic to be in the position that we can treat it however we want. That's another luxury we're never afforded compared to many other teams of our standing in 6 game groups.

Reactions: TQ3
Am I right in saying we have a playoff before we get into the final round. If we were to lose do we then go into the conference or yet another playoff.

It’s one of the biggest differences between us and the paedos this season. When Celtic go behind they have rarely shown that they have the mentality and resilience to fight back. I think Aberdeen away was the only game so far where they have managed to respond to conceding and win the game late on. I mean just look how they crumbled last night, 10 minutes to go before a hugely important away win and they totally fell apart under the pressure.

It gives me confidence that if the worst was to happen domestically and we somehow fall behind on points in the league, I have confidence in the players that they will be able to fight back and claw back the deficit.
Good point, Tims have thrown away plenty of points from winning positions and rarely have it in them to fight back

Hopefully they’re the choke artists you’re implying and they can have a January implosion like we’ve had in the past, they’ve got a long run of tough away games around that point too iirc

Albeit not in the top competition, we have also faced and beaten better sides than AEK Athens, Gothenburg and Sofia.

Am I right in saying we have a playoff before we get into the final round. If we were to lose do we then go into the conference or yet another playoff.

Your'e right that we play a CL 3rd place team in the "play-off" round before the last 16 of the EL.

The EL group winners go straight to that last 16 and essentially have a bye for the play-off round.

Lose in the play-off and we're out altogether now. It's basically straight knock outs for us now.

Albeit not in the top competition, we have also faced and beaten better sides than AEK Athens, Gothenburg and Sofia.

Absolutely. 92-93 and 1999-00 aside, the entire decade seemed to be failure after failure and often twice a season when the Uefa parachute route started.

It's absolutely not something I'm taking for granted now even though it's becoming regular for us.

Absolutely. 92-93 and 1999-00 aside, the entire decade seemed to be failure after failure and often twice a season when the Uefa parachute route started.

It's absolutely not something I'm taking for granted now even though it's becoming regular for us.
Yes, we have a long way to go to be a CL regular again, as the Malmö debacle proved but hopefully Gio can bridge the gap.

Where's that graphic, when you need it? The spaghetti junction one.

edit :

n4qlsii8l0i61.jpg

Last edited:
I keep thinking similar every time we get to the knock-out stage. We had better players under Walter and Dick, but never handled European nights with any certainty.
Long may it continue!

It used to be a big thing getting Europe after Xmas but it's now become a regular thing for us. We need to get to the next level. Quarters or semi's.
We'll do well to get out of the next round with the teams we will face. Do agree with your point though getting to the quarters would be progress but at the same time when you get to the last 16 it does become harder. We've done well to get out of the group after the poor start but if we had produced what we did last season then we would be going to Lyon with a chance to win the group.

I know we have advanced to the next stage with a game to spare - is that because of the head to head we would have vs sparta, and overall goal difference goes oot the windae?

Think this is Gerard’s legacy as well as 55. The job he did in respect of Europe has been pretty amazing. We have undoubtedly dipped this year but he has got us respected throughout Europe with the consistency of performance Over the last few years.

Gio takes in the mantle now and can hopefully build on that achievement

But on the flip side the years we did compete we really could have won the thing. The year Feyenoord knocked us out and Dortmund knocked us out were both years we could have went on and won the thing. That’s before we talk 2008 which was simply Smith getting guys running through walls for him.

As good and consistent as we are now I don’t think we are a serious contender. Maybe last year we were an outside shot because of our group stage form.

I know what you're saying...but think of the hard luck stories we've had in the past ...lap it up because the negative press and the media won't be pleased......do we look happy. ;) .

Exactly mate, last night turned all the doom and gloom feeling from Sunday into positivity now onto Sunday :D.

The second placed EL teams and the CL drop outs should all just be in an open draw. Absolute nonsense from UEFA and again trying to favour potentially bigger teams dropping down

But on the flip side the years we did compete we really could have won the thing. The year Feyenoord knocked us out and Dortmund knocked us out were both years we could have went on and won the thing. That’s before we talk 2008 which was simply Smith getting guys running through walls for him.

As good and consistent as we are now I don’t think we are a serious contender. Maybe last year we were an outside shot because of our group stage form.

It really makes you think again how good an achievement it was in 2008.

Phenomenal effort.

I mentioned it when everyone was partaking in the season long collective mental breakdown that one of my earliest European memories is of winning the first two and still getting put out the group under McLeish. Maybe a lesson in not being hysterical, though I'm sure those who get that way are unlikely to have the ability to reflect and learn.

Although extremely unlikely, it's also possible we could face Malmo again in the upcoming qualifying round. If Zenit lose to Chelsea and Malmo pull off a shock win against Juventus in their own backyard.
As I pointed out, unlikely but anything can happen. I think a Gio tuned team, firing on all cylinders would wipe the floor with Malmo. Revenge would be sweet on the way to the last 16

Yes we could play them in last 16

Group winners are seeded and play 2nd leg at home
That's ridiculous to be honest.
To play the same opponents 4 times in the same cup competition is pretty poor(I know it's called a 'league' but in most people's eyes it is still a cup...you don't get eliminated from a league).

How are we doing money wise. I would hate to go out on the playoff and then septic go on in the conference which is easier.
Need to give Gio as much as we can if he wants new players.
Great to see these Sparta racist thugs go out.

Although extremely unlikely, it's also possible we could face Malmo again in the upcoming qualifying round. If Zenit lose to Chelsea and Malmo pull off a shock win against Juventus in their own backyard.
As I pointed out, unlikely but anything can happen. I think a Gio tuned team, firing on all cylinders would wipe the floor with Malmo. Revenge would be sweet on the way to the last 16
So we could play Malmo again over 2 legs and then if we win that we could play Lyon again over 2 legs.

Great planning UEFA. :rolleyes:

Qualifed with a game to spare as well! That's some achievement.

I'm sure it'll have been done before but surely not many times?

Said that to fellow fans at game last night, can't ever remembering us doing that.

It’s similar to the fact that we have shown this season in games that even when we go one goal down the team has the ability to come back and win. Even against Aberdeen, two goals down we were still able to turn the game around to secure a draw. Obviously Hibs was the anomaly there but we’ve shown consistently this season that when we are behind the team has the resilience and mentality to bounce back. To lose the first two games yet still qualify is magnificent from a set of players some posters here have written off as mentally weak.

I keep going on about this but the Hibs result was actually our par for the course outcome against them in cup semi finals at Hampden since I was a nipper. During my 60+ years of watching Rangers we've played them seven times in cup semi finals at Hampden. We've only won one these semis (1971) and even then it was only after a replay. The team that went on to win the ECWC in 72 lost to them and even Walter's team never got the better of them in a Hampden semi final. I know that statistics like that should not be entirely relevant but sometimes some clubs do seem to be a real bogey team to others. Hopefully Sunday was simply in that category.

Back