Gio goal vs Uruguay - all angles

I feel like even trying to take anything away from that is a bit shite but wasn't there massive complaints and criticism of the ball being a complete farce in that tournament? I think there was a disproportionate amount of long range goals when the ball was swerving in one but can't rememeber if it's that tournament or an earlier one.

I feel like even trying to take anything away from that is a bit shite but wasn't there massive complaints and criticism of the ball being a complete farce in that tournament? I think there was a disproportionate amount of long range goals when the ball was swerving in one but can't rememeber if it's that tournament or an earlier one.
"The ball was constructed using a new design, consisting of eight thermally bonded, three-dimensional panels. These were spherically moulded from ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA) and thermoplastic polyurethanes (TPU). The surface of the ball was textured with grooves, a technology developed by Adidas called GripnGroove that was intended to improve the ball's aerodynamics. The design received considerable academic input, being developed in partnership with researchers from Loughborough University, United Kingdom. The balls were made in China, using latex bladders made in India, thermoplastic polyurethane-elastomer from Taiwan, ethylene vinyl acetate, isotropic polyester/cotton fabric, and glue and ink from China.

Some football stars complained about the new ball, arguing that its movements were difficult to predict. Brazilian goalkeeper Júlio César compared it to a "supermarket" ball that favored strikers and worked against goalkeepers. Argentinian coach Diego Maradona said: "We won't see any long passes in this World Cup because the ball doesn't fly straight." However, a number of Adidas-sponsored players responded favourably to the ball."

Back