Giorgio Chiellini

E6H73LoXsAQ6EBq

Makes defending look like he’s just sculpted an artistic masterpiece from polystyrene, then gilded it in 22k gold.

Perfection in a defender in every way, he’s tall, built, ugly as hell but his footballing brain and defending ability is beautiful. Reads the game better than anyone, even when beat for pace he’s always 5-10 yards ahead in the brain. Will smash you into next week then shake your hands and help you back onto your feet without a care in the world, as long as that ball doesn’t get past him.

He and his defensive partner are absolutely a dying breed. Some may imitate them, very poorly, even the young up and coming italian defenders may be able to play better, but they will never be able to defend the way these two, in particular Chiellini, do.

Tremendous defender. Never looks massively flustered relying on superb positioning and anticipation

Its also so refreshing to see a player with a personality e.g. His post match interview was excellent vs the usual boring old stuff that other trawl out.

Not to forget Bonucci as well. His passing range is tremendous.

When they do pass on the baton, they have Bastoni to step in who looks like the future & has learnt from the best

Are defenders like him a dying breed? By that I mean old fashioned centre backs who’ll do the defensive bit first and clear their lines when needed, as opposed to the modern approach where coaches want their centre backs to be able to move the ball around and play out from the back.

Some of his last ditch defending is phenomenal and reminds me of some of great centre halves Italy have been blessed with through the years. I also wouldn’t be surprised if he had gotten in Spain’s heads with his carry on before the semi final shootout when he was joking away and playfully punching Alba’s arm while the Spaniard was stood looking like a bag of nerves.

Although it was born of his own initial gaff this made me laugh. Smart foul in the end given the distance from the goal meaning it could only be a yellow.

This is one of my favourite Chiellini moments, experienced defender, knew it was a yellow card coming, knew where he was, knew what would happen if he didn't do it. Professional in every aspect.

Him and Bonucci were outstanding. It looked like Kane was going to give them problems early on but they sussed him pretty quickly and just backed off anytime he tried to get in close to win a foul or knock the ball on.

Couple of times England put in a dangerous high ball and Bonucci just nonchalantly went up and headered it backwards to Donnarumma, just made it look so easy. They both just read the game so well.

Chiellini spent most of extra time in England's half yet always seemed to be back in time whenever England broke forward. He isn't the type of player who makes incisive passes but his little short passes just dragged England's midfield all over the place and created space.

Time is catching up on him now but would love to see Chiellini at the World Cup next year.

The big man’s legendary interview after Juve beat Spurs where he lets everyone know that Juve were confident because of the “history of Tottenham” as bottlers

The guy was a colossus for the whole event. The shirt pull on Baka was a yellow only as they can hardly start grading levels of shirt pull?

Love him, absolute quality.

Admittedly, I wasn’t wanting Bonucci to start alongside him but they were brilliant as usual and thoroughly deserve the accolade.

Genuinely top bloke too by all accounts, seems like one those types that would a right pain in the arse though - stealing your socks in the changing room etc.

Guys like Ramos, Chiellini, Pepe, Godin etc are definitely a dying breed.

Horrible bastards that every team would love to have.

Back