Giorgio Chiellini

Cries for a red card for a shirt pull on the touchline about a million yards from goal with a bunch of defenders covering? Haha. Unreal takes on here at times. Maybe some posters just taking yesterday badly or maybe just a lack of basic footballing knowledge.

He’s a fantastic defender, a real mix of the great art of defending but can also play the ball

However that ‘foul’ on Saka was disgusting

Cries for a red card for a shirt pull on the touchline about a million yards from goal with a bunch of defenders covering? Haha. Unreal takes on here at times. Maybe some posters just taking yesterday badly or maybe just a lack of basic footballing knowledge.

Pretty clear that a lot of folk are still smarting that their adopted nation failed to win the final.

When has a pull back on the halfway line (out wide with players getting back) ever been deemed a red card offence. It’s as tragic as it is hilarious.

Disgusting is a wild shout mate, come on. It’s tactical, it’s not disgusting.

I wish one of our players had done that in either of the Benfica games.

There’s a few times in recent seasons I wished our players had been street smart and taken yellow cards like that. It’s smart defending.

Last edited:
An outstanding defender although bonucci was probably better in terms of the full tournament.
I think defenders will find it increasingly difficult as the contact free snow flake generation continues to grow

Chiellini, Bonucci, Maldini (father and son), Baresi, Costacurta, Materazzi, Canavarro, Nesta

Italians play defensive type games because they have had that quality throughout the years

Anyone who enjoys a good ol knees up will know how these guys did it

Chiellini, Bonucci, Maldini (father and son), Baresi, Costacurta, Materazzi, Canavarro, Nesta

Italians play defensive type games because they have had that quality throughout the years

Anyone who enjoys a good ol knees up will know how these guys did it
I’d probably say that the idea that Italy still play a defensive game is outdated by at least a decade.

They have excellent defenders and as such, that part of the game often gets highlights, but England have been far more defensive than any Italy side in recent memory for the majority of this tournament.

Between chiellini, bonucci and barzaghli Italy have been very blessed for centre backs since the maldi/nesta/cannavaro era

I’d probably say that the idea that Italy still play a defensive game is outdated by at least a decade.

They have excellent defenders and as such, that part of the game often gets highlights, but England have been far more defensive than any Italy side in recent memory for the majority of this tournament.

Yeah times have changed, Italy were very entertaining throughout the tournament and last night it was them playing keep ball and doing the probing while England sat in with what was almost two banks of 5

“Violent conduct”, “assaulted”.

Sorry but this is really funny.
A lot of England fans are fuming at Chielini for being a durty bassa, but are quite happy that Sterling, and Kane in particular, dived at the slightest touch :D

Last edited:
A lot of England fans are fuming at Chielini for being a durty bassa, but are quite happy that Sterling, and Kane in particular dived at the slightest touch :D

Most farcical moment either side were involved with through the whole tournament was Sterling’s clear dive vs Denmark which helped them avoid penalties and the very real chance of elimination (he also had another go at cheating a penalty last night too and you could see Italians were weary of making challenges in the box because of that). That’s why I thought home advantage was unfair on Denmark and Italy, because in the Denmark game the ref clearly reacted to the noise of the fans screaming for that decision.

Sorry mate I was at odds myself on how to word it

They just are so defensively sound that it's a feature of their game I admire more than most

Not only did he defend like an old school defender but he was always making himself available in that second third of the field rather than just hanging back near the box.

BTW - some refs would have sent off Chiellini for violent conduct there.

Chiellini was lucky not to have been red carded in earlier games. He's fly as fook, though. lol

He always seeks out the ref and other officials in the tunnel for a laugh and a joke before the game starts.

As above, if it had been a red then it would been a robbery because nowhere in the rule book is it a red card. Nothing to do with it being Chiellini or to do with him being likeable, everything to do with there being nothing in the rules of the game to make that a red card offence.
It could be reasonably be described as violent conduct. It was more than just shirt pulling.

Saka was away and if he’d whipped the pins from under him it wouldn’t have been very different to what he actually did.

It could be reasonably be described as violent conduct. It was more than just shirt pulling.

Saka was away and if he’d whipped the pins from under him it wouldn’t have been very different to what he actually did.

No, it really couldn’t mate. There’s no reasonable way that could ever be described as violent conduct. If there was any hint of that then the pundits and commentary team would have been all over it and we’d still be hearing about it today. It was a smart tactical foul and a clear yellow card by the letter of the law.

Cue all the Rangers da’s coming on saying it was never a red,

“I grew up on a weekly diet of watching Gregor Stevens and Toni Schumacher at the 1982 World Cup”

Sorry to enlighten you lads it’s not the 1980s very little contact is allowed these days, whether or not back in the good old days it was better and football was for proper men with long hair.
For it to be a red card or has to 'violent conduct' or 'serious foul play'. It's neither of those

Big gormless looking player with a degree in finance and commerce and a masters in business administration. Hes no mug, on or off the pitch.

From the rule book on what is deemed a yellow card..

Commits a tactical foul designed to interfere with or impede an opposing team's attacking play

Are defenders like him a dying breed? By that I mean old fashioned centre backs who’ll do the defensive bit first and clear their lines when needed, as opposed to the modern approach where coaches want their centre backs to be able to move the ball around and play out from the back.

Some of his last ditch defending is phenomenal and reminds me of some of great centre halves Italy have been blessed with through the years. I also wouldn’t be surprised if he had gotten in Spain’s heads with his carry on before the semi final shootout when he was joking away and playfully punching Alba’s arm while the Spaniard was stood looking like a bag of nerves.

Although it was born of his own initial gaff this made me laugh. Smart foul in the end given the distance from the goal meaning it could only be a yellow.

Best defender in the tournament bar none.

Has anyone else had trouble watching twitter links on here recently? Haven't been able to watch any clips the past couple of days.

He’s a fantastic defender, a real mix of the great art of defending but can also play the ball

However that ‘foul’ on Saka was disgusting
So what if we're on the cusp of qualifying for the champions league group stages in a few weeks and the opposition have a breakaway in the last minute to potentially score and knock us out?

I'd want any of our players to karate kick them if necessary to prevent that happening.

I love watching that Italian centre back pairing. As I said in a previous thread about Chiellini, he would kick his granny if it denied a goal scoring chance.
I had a chuckle at how far up he stayed at one point in the game last night. He went up for a set piece and just stayed up there. He as playing almost as a wing back for a lot of the game.

Most farcical moment either side were involved with through the whole tournament was Sterling’s clear dive vs Denmark which helped them avoid penalties and the very real chance of elimination (he also had another go at cheating a penalty last night too and you could see Italians were weary of making challenges in the box because of that). That’s why I thought home advantage was unfair on Denmark and Italy, because in the Denmark game the ref clearly reacted to the noise of the fans screaming for that decision.
Not forgetting Maguire holding his face last night pretending he had been kicked. Embarrassing

Really like Chiellini. He had a superb tournament. Loved the ’play-acting’ against Spain doing the toss for penalty kicks. However, what he did to Saka I said to the mrs that should be a red. Saka would have been straight through at that point and a counter-attack might have led to an England goal.

On a yellow, Sterling in the box near the goal and he still manages to get the ball away without giving the Swan the option of going into flight.

Fantastic, fantastic defender. I absolutely love him :cool:

On a yellow, Sterling in the box near the goal and he still manages to get the ball away without giving the Swan the option of going into flight.

That was brilliant, I actually thought England might be in business there but he did superbly well to stick the leg out, trap the ball and then prod it away. Any sort of contact and Sterling would have been on his arse and there’d be serious pressure on the ref coming from the stands.

So what if we're on the cusp of qualifying for the champions league group stages in a few weeks and the opposition have a breakaway in the last minute to potentially score and knock us out?

I'd want any of our players to karate kick them if necessary to prevent that happening.
Yep
And they should be sent off if they do

I love watching Chiellini play, a real master of his craft.

You sometimes hear of some players treating football as a job, withdrawing from international duty and viewing it as an inconvenience. But then you look at Chiellini in the seconds before the national anthem plays, and you see a man who deserves every second he gets wearing his national team shirt. In 20/30 odd years time when this tournament is discussed he will feature prominently.

mans in regards to his yellow card late on, whilst I can absolutely see the uproar about it, and I admit I may have a different stance if I was English, as stated before if we had a player who done that against Porto x2 but also in both cup games we may have had an even more incredible season. It was a smart move by him, and a reason why he’s one of the best.

Yep
And they should be sent off if they do
Yeh fair enough if it was a karate kid it would be a red card. My point was your comment on Chiellini's pull being 'disgusting' seemed to be implying it was immoral when really it is an absolutely normal incident in top level sport.

If only we could sign him or someone similar what a cracking foul I was in stitches watching that wee English player getting hooked thought he was getting a defo red card

you could tell what his opinion of the "penalty" from Wednesday night was with the way he was treating Sterling for the whole match, him and Bonucci

both of them made sure not to touch him other than the one when he dived in the box, there was a point when they were trying to get him back on his feet as well. Have to say the ref actually did a great job yesterday, kept the play going and saw through any diving for both sides as there was quite a bit of it

Watching Chiellini is far more enjoyable than the step overs and general pish ripping.

The guy is beyond clever, watch before a game and he is oozing charm over officials and opposition players, like, look at me I'm a good guy but when I get out there I'm going to hurt you, whilst the schmoozing of officials can make the difference between a yellow or a red card, this guy is no mug

Agree. Italy has taken its classic organisation and added a bit of the Spanish midfield control, then with a bit of directness up front has found a superb formula. 30-odd games in a row proves it works and I hope they can hold it all together one more year for Qatar.

He's an absolute legend. He's an all round good cvnt off the pitch, on the pitch, the dark arts and artistry at play for 90 plus minutes. Plus he's an incredible central defender. I'm pleased for him that he won out in the end.

Not only did he defend like an old school defender but he was always making himself available in that second third of the field rather than just hanging back near the box.

BTW - some refs would have sent off Chiellini for violent conduct there.

Clocks approaching 120 minutes and that mad bastard was overlapping the full back down the left wing

Love him

Back