Give Lowry a chance

Alex Venters

We must give Alex Lowry the opportunity to fill the gap left when Aribo leaves.
It makes financial sense and footballing sense.

Is he a carbon copy? Of course not, but his potential is glaringly obvious. He won't do the defensive side of the game as well as Aribo, what 19 yo forward would? However I see him as more of a goal threat than Joe and this team needs goals.

He has time to learn the dirty side of the game, let him flourish in an attacking sense and tweak the system to counteract missing Aribo's defensive attributes.

I think he will get the opportunity but we can't expect him to replace Aribo completely for a full season Young players for rm particularly goes up and down. Just make sure we support him and don't get on his back when he has a poor game.

Lowry will get a chance but we will be replacing aribo with another cam imo, would be poor management if we didn’t. Hagi by the sounds of it won’t be fit till October/November time so we’ll have him back after the World Cup. But up until that point we cannot just rely on Lowry, far to much expectation on his shoulders for that. Bring in a new cam and Lowry can be back up to all three positions behind the striker and will get plenty of chances.

Lowry will get plenty of opportunities this season. I am extremely excited by him and can't wait to see what he can do, but throwing him into the first 11 on match 1 is not going to happen. The club need to take care of these guys and integrate them in a planned way.

Let's just come to terms with the fact it'll be Arfield in that position on matchday 1 and hope Hagi comes back and Lowry gets minutes.

We keep hearing how we need to player trading model to kick in. Well with selling Aribo perhaps it is starting to.

I'd love to see Lowry get more opportunities but we also might need someone closer to the finished article if we are to increase the goal return from midfield in the coming season.

I can't see him playing 50 games. That's why we need a replacement for Joe.
Lowry will get chances
Very much doubt we are playing a 19 year old with limited game time 50+ games a season.

Aribo needs replaced with a quality addition on top of other areas of the park.

Lowry will see game time and plenty of it but I don't think this will be the season he's an ever present.
I'd hope we are not going in to the season expecting Lowry to play and perform every week.

However, if he proves up to the task as the season progresses we will be delighted. Not to the detriment of new signings coming in though.

I am a touch worried by the hype of this lad, he's got 'it', no doubt but a lot of posters (not on this thread per se) have it in their minds, he's Rooney, Barry F and Owen debut season material.

Let's just wait and see shall we? A lot of people are in grave danger of being sorely dissapointed, then the knives come out.

ATM he is the definition of the 'great white hope' on podcasts, messageboards and fan media.

I am looking forward to seeing Lowry this season. I'm not sure how many games he will play in or start, but we have to get behind the lad when he is on the pitch and remember he will make mistakes.

Very much doubt we are playing a 19 year old with limited game time 50+ games a season.

Aribo needs replaced with a quality addition on top of other areas of the park.

Lowry will see game time and plenty of it but I don't think this will be the season he's an ever present.
Why not ? He looks more than good enough

He will get games this season for sure. He needs time though and wont play 50 games as others have said. Need to handle his development carefully if we want to realise the obvious potential that exists.

I can't see him playing 50 games. That's why we need a replacement for Joe.
Lowry will get chances
In terms of the more advanced of the 3 it's him at the moment.

Kamara has done OK when deployed there normally alongside his good pal Alfie. Hagi would be the first choice but we won't see him until after the world cup. Arfield plays well in an advanced position and lets not discount McPake

That is of course if we are maintaining the same formation or will we start with 3-5-2 that we often changed to last season.

I'd hope we are not going in to the season expecting Lowry to play and perform every week.

However, if he proves up to the task as the season progresses we will be delighted. Not to the detriment of new signings coming in though.
So what your saying is he could well perform week in week out but just sign someone anyhow ?

Why not ? He looks more than good enough
Because he needs more development. Play a few games find out what he has to improve on, give him coaching to improve playa few more. That coaching and development cant happen if you are playing every single week . So he needs time play him absolutely but will not be every single week.

Yes, give him the chance to mature mentally & physically rather than throwing him in expecting MOTM performances every week (needed to replace Aribo, esp pre AFCON) and don't pile pressure on him ala John Fleck. Lowry is a good player with tonnes of potential. But it's alot to put on such a young man.

We must give Alex Lowry the opportunity to fill the gap left when Aribo leaves.
It makes financial sense and footballing sense.

Is he a carbon copy? Of course not, but his potential is glaringly obvious. He won't do the defensive side of the game as well as Aribo, what 19 yo forward would? However I see him as more of a goal threat than Joe and this team needs goals.

He has time to learn the dirty side of the game, let him flourish in an attacking sense and tweak the system to counteract missing Aribo's defensive attributes.
This should go without saying.
That said, I understand why you believe that it needs to be said.

I am sorry to see Joe move on and I wish him all the luck in the world, but I am comfortable that the squad will not be weakened, as in young Lowry we have a player who can move into Joe's shoes given the time and opportunities to settle into the first team.
Much as Joe took time to settle.

Producing our own players is surely a very strong aspect of the club going forward, and the support has to have confidence in these young players as they break through.
It is exciting to sign new players but equally so, who isn't looking forward to seeing young Alex next season?

Lowry will get plenty of opportunities this season. I am extremely excited by him and can't wait to see what he can do, but throwing him into the first 11 on match 1 is not going to happen. The club need to take care of these guys and integrate them in a planned way.

Let's just come to terms with the fact it'll be Arfield in that position on matchday 1 and hope Hagi comes back and Lowry gets minutes.
He's 19 years of age, not 9.
We are far too cautious when dealing with youngsters in general.
He should be our no 1 attacking midfielder this season. Of course he'll need managed and will have to sit out some games but he should be our go to guy for that role.

Hopefully get his chance ,he looks as though he has got what it takes to become a First team regular very soon.

Although I can hear the groans already if he plays a few misplaced passes ,we are a tough crowd at times
Hopefully we all get right behind him.

Too many people already saying that he’s too young to play that often - utter shite.

Said it time and time again, a large amount of the fans’ attitudes to young players is shocking. I’d go as far as to even say some within the club and several managers as well, I’ll never understand how we begin at ‘how old are they?’ instead of ‘how good are they?’

Lowry won’t play 70-odd games like Aribo did, and aye I’m sure he’ll have a few bad games, but we’ve got to give him a big chance next season.

Aribo managed to be an automatic starter even though he barely kicked his own arse after the AFCON, so there’s no reason why Lowry can’t or shouldn’t be excused from a few bad games IF he was to have them.

Attitudes need to change big time.

He's 19 years of age, not 9.
We are far too cautious when dealing with youngsters in general.
He should be our no 1 attacking midfielder this season. Of course he'll need managed and will have to sit out some games but he should be our go to guy for that role.
We didn't know it at the time, but Willie Henderson and Wille Johnston were both at their peak around 19 years of age!

He needs games but it shouldn't be at the expense of the Aribo minutes, Aribo was massive for us and will need replaced.

He should be finding the minutes the likes of Arfield was getting, with tactical changes to also allow him to play minutes Davis was given, it is the minutes of those two needing wound down.

I think he will get plenty game time next season, still needs managed though, expectation levels of this lad are going through the roof and needs to develop and mature still, needs managed well but what a talent he is

Lowry should 100% get more game time. More so ahead of Arfield IMO. But we can't expect him to play the 50-60 games Aribo did.

Buying a replacement for Aribo.
What would a "replacement" for Aribo be though? We can replace one of his "roles" but we are not signing someone to replace the player. We need to bring someone in, preferably for the right side.

Lowry will get plenty of game time but it would be foolish, at this point, to expect him to play every game. Time will tell if he is capable of doing so but it still makes sense to bring someone in.

In terms of the more advanced of the 3 it's him at the moment.

Kamara has done OK when deployed there normally alongside his good pal Alfie. Hagi would be the first choice but we won't see him until after the world cup. Arfield plays well in an advanced position and lets not discount McPake

That is of course if we are maintaining the same formation or will we start with 3-5-2 that we often changed to last season.
For me, I'd say his best chance of game time will come currently at RW. It also offers him a degree more freedom than being part of a midfield 3 would.

We keep hearing how we need to player trading model to kick in. Well with selling Aribo perhaps it is starting to.

I'd love to see Lowry get more opportunities but we also might need someone closer to the finished article if we are to increase the goal return from midfield in the coming season.
Goals are exactly what Lowry will bring.

What would a "replacement" for Aribo be though? We can replace one of his "roles" but we are not signing someone to replace the player. We need to bring someone in, preferably for the right side.

Lowry will get plenty of game time but it would be foolish, at this point, to expect him to play every game. Time will tell if he is capable of doing so but it still makes sense to bring someone in.
We need a right sided forward as a matter of urgency. That, and not an Aribo replacement should be the priority.

Too many people already saying that he’s too young to play that often - utter shite.

Said it time and time again, a large amount of the fans’ attitudes to young players is shocking. I’d go as far as to even say some within the club and several managers as well, I’ll never understand how we begin at ‘how old are they?’ instead of ‘how good are they?’

Lowry won’t play 70-odd games like Aribo did, and aye I’m sure he’ll have a few bad games, but we’ve got to give him a big chance next season.

Aribo managed to be an automatic starter even though he barely kicked his own arse after the AFCON, so there’s no reason why Lowry can’t or shouldn’t be excused from a few bad games IF he was to have them.

Attitudes need to change big time.
With all the scientific data available these days,young Lowry will be well looked after. He will see plenty of game time. He will be supported by the experienced players as well.

Back