Glasgow City Council tweet

We’ve had cleansing and parks teams in George Square since Sunday night, clearing debris and assessing the damage to furniture and plants.

The lack of care and respect shown to a place and facilities that all Glaswegians should be able to enjoy is disturbing – but destroying memorials placed by grieving families and friends is, frankly, deplorable.

We believe we have been able to recover any memorial plaques from smashed benches and are now starting the job of contacting families, where we are able. The memorials will be restored; however it is not yet known how much this will cost.

Please see details of those memorials below. If anyone is able to locate the families or provide details, please get in touch with us through private message at our
Glasgow City Council Help
page.

Plaque One:

In Loving Memory of
JACQUELINE MORTON
In our hearts you are always there

Plaque Two:

In Loving Memory of
ROBERT and JANE SHEARER
and Their Son ROBERT
Who All Loved Glasgow

Plaque Three:

Donated by the Netherlands Ambassador
JAN HERMAN van ROIJEN
on the occasion of his visit to the City of Glasgow
on 18/19th September 1997

Plaque Four:

In memory of
JOANNA WESTON
1994 - 2004
Sadly missed by all at H.O.S.

Plaque Five:

Dedicated To The Memory Of
JOHN HAMILTON
Died 22.4.1994
Donated by His Loving Wife And Family
Rest Awhile
See less
I honestly don't think anything that was damaged was done so with malice.

Is this normal procedure if a bench is broken to contact the family via social media? How many benches have been broken in the last year? Why dont they know the cost? They must know how much a bench costs, times that by 5 and there is the maximum.

These benches weren't broken. They were "smashed up", according to press reports.

This is the same Council that got contractors in to sweep up leaves and trim trees over the winter so that they could keep their employees on furlough.

The same Council that did not grit main roads or footpaths properly during the recent bad weather that led to an increase at A&E for fractures and treatment following road traffic accidents.

I have downloaded the GCC app and will be reporting to them every pothole in the roads that I see, and every hole in pavements to keep the arseholes busy.
Re the potholes I take pictures and send them in an email to my councillor.Done this 2 weeks ago today and they were filled in within a week.Once a month the wee council road sweeper comes round and starts churning them up with those brushes.Then I repeat the process.The road needs dug up and relaid.Keep correspondence polite it helps

Dunno if anyone has posted this already, but a family member of someone one of the broken benches is related to posted on twitter yesterday, in that thread, saying GCC usually REMOVE the benches when there's due to be a big gathering.
Weird, huh? Wonder why the council didn't remove the benches on this occassion?

Back