Goal Keepers and the 6 second rule

Coopertrueblue

Official Ticketer
I was amazed to find out this is still technically a rule and should be enforced

Looks like it is getting reviewed again and it is possibly going to 8 seconds with a ref signal at 5 seconds and if it is longer than 8 seconds then a throw in or corner will be given to the other team

Something needs to be done as it is now as bad as before with keepers taking 20/30 seconds and falling down with the ball

I was amazed to find out this is still technically a rule and should be enforced

Looks like it is getting reviewed again and it is possibly going to 8 seconds with a ref signal at 5 seconds and if it is longer than 8 seconds then a throw in or corner will be given to the other team

Something needs to be done as it is now as bad as before with keepers taking 20/30 seconds and falling down with the ball

The McGregor special, loved it.

Seems a bit of a pointless change for the sake of it.

I think it died a death as it was in the days where the ref gave next to nothing at half time and two or three minutes at full time. When the six seconds rule was ever awarded there would be uproar, the period of dissent completely outweighed the goalie getting done.

Keepers were given carte blanche to waste time. Throwing themselves to the ground when they caught it, going to the opposite side at goal kicks , feigning injury. Football supporters want the game to last 90 when they are winning and 100 when they are losing.

Take the timekeeping away from the refs , they are hopeless at it. Independent time keeper with a clock available in the stadium for everybody to see.

About bloody time officials stuck to this rule.
We see this flouted every single game and sometimes keepers are approaching 20 seconds before returning the ball to play.
It slows the game down on every occasion.

we would have won dozens of indirect free kicks over the years if this had been enforced. probably 10 in a game against Aberdeen at Ibrox for example

I understood it had been revised to only be enforced if the keeper was obviously wasting time? There are some instances where they can legitimately take longer than 6 seconds before releasing the ball. Like when an attacker is blocking his path.

On the subject of time wasting - the worse offenders are the fkn refs!

The drama surrounding free kicks being an example. Wee spray for the place it's to be taken. 10 steps before another wee spray. Then a walk back to have a chat with the kicker to confirm it's indirect / direct. Then a signal to say wait until he blows. Then a wander to the position he feels relevant. [And don't get me started on the shambles most teams introduce when placing players in the wall!]

Penalties - wee chat to the keeper to explain the rule about moving from his line. They should know this. A check that the ball has been placed correctly. Then a wander along the periphery of the box explaining to everyone the rule about encroaching.

Then a wander to his position...and a wee peep from his whistle.

There were always around this rule.

My understaning of it, speaking to refs when playing and coaching when it first came in, was that the clock would metaphorically start when the box was cleared. Easy if looking to protect a lead to make sure your defenders were not too quick to push up. Limps and knocks were easy to feign to allow that extra bit of time.

Looking to release in "a timely manner" would also normally mean the ref would give more leeway so I'm not sure how that will be tightened up. Again, late on in games it is quite east to instruct your forwards not to rush in to space to be available for the release.

Of course, there are many instances in each game where a keeper is clearly taking the piss over both this and goal kicks that should be straightforward for a referee to pick up and address. There are umpteen games at Ibrox where a keeper could easily have been warned then booked in the first 5 minutes - I'm fully aware McGregor was a past master in European ties and when protecting a lead domestically.

Anyone from here who has even seen me in the FF/Trust games would know I'm quite good at the old time wasting. Sadly it was probably my best quality as a keeper!

It’s a pointless rule because its never enforced and yet it should be such a simple one to start clamping down-on given all the tech and comms in place now for referee’ing teams.

Another bug bear of mine is that you can now seemingly take a throw in from anywhere within 30 yards or so of where the ball went out.

There was a rule in the 70's, think the keeper had to kick it within x amount of seconds once he picked it up or was only allowed a certain amount of steps to punt it.
Peter McCloy got penalised in a final at Hampden and I'm pretty sure the beggars scored from the free kick.

Add stealing yards + at throw ins under the nose of the officials.Then add technically poor (cheating) throw ins that don't conform to the rules again ignored on occasion.
OF game, ball came off the corner flag. Throw in to the scum. Johnson was nearer 18 yard line when he released the ball. Blatant cheating

There was a rule in the 70's, think the keeper had to kick it within x amount of seconds once he picked it up or was only allowed a certain amount of steps to punt it.
Peter McCloy got penalised in a final at Hampden and I'm pretty sure the beggars scored from the free kick.
Probably only time it was implemented in Scotland

Only place I've ever seen the rule enforced is in Fifa video games
The last time I recall it being enforced was to give the poets an indirect free kick in the box in a Champions League game at Parkhead many years ago. Maybe under Strachan. They scored from it.

It was hardly used before that so typical it would be them to benefit from it.

Worked beside an SFA linesman he said it was up to the Referees discretion absolutely pointless rule if it’s not administered.

Some teams will be punished for it, some won’t. Makes sense theoretically but will probably be a disaster in practice and, as others have said, trying to explain the decision and then have players get ready for a throw in or corner will be chaos.

I have only ever seen it enforced twice and it should come as no surprise as to which club benefitted from it's enforcement... both times.

They should also stop goalkeepers from being allowed to take goal kicks from whichever side of the six yard box they prefer. You can't do it with corners and it's simply used to waste time.

Ludicrous that this is not enforced - there are keepers that have held the ball for more than 20 seconds at Ibrox.
Been a bugbear of mine for years. The 8 minutes starts as soon as the keeper has control of the ball, I presume, even if he then flops to the ground.
High time this was addressed.

Ludicrous that this is not enforced - there are keepers that have held the ball for more than 20 seconds at Ibrox.
Easily 30/40 seconds it takes a keeper against us when the ball goes out of play to when he finally gets rid of the ball. Only when keepers team aren’t losing of course.

I think it died a death as it was in the days where the ref gave next to nothing at half time and two or three minutes at full time. When the six seconds rule was ever awarded there would be uproar, the period of dissent completely outweighed the goalie getting done.

Keepers were given carte blanche to waste time. Throwing themselves to the ground when they caught it, going to the opposite side at goal kicks , feigning injury. Football supporters want the game to last 90 when they are winning and 100 when they are losing.

Take the timekeeping away from the refs , they are hopeless at it. Independent time keeper with a clock available in the stadium for everybody to see.
Within days, that "independent timekeeper" will be a certain Seamus O' Flaherty.

IIRC at a game in Fir Park the Motherwell keeper had the ball in his hands and Colak was standing in front of him at the acknowledged legal distance away 1m ? 2m? and as the keeper moved from side to side so did Colak, keeping the same separation distance. The keeper long after the 6 seconds gestured to the ref as if to say "he's not letting me take this". Ref, might have been Collum, awarded Motherwell free kick and booked Colak.

What determines if you get a throw or corner?

I regularly check the time between the ball going out and the keeper putting it back in play.
20 seconds is fast!
That long streak of pish that used to play for the sheep and Gordon of hertz were often over 40 and did manage 50 a few times
The knob who plays for Motherwell is at it all the time as well.

Simon Mignolet got penalised for it when at Liverpool against Bordeaux I think, they scored from the resulting free kick, only one I can remember in recent times and that was probably 8 years ago.

Remember that, the lineman should use that spray to mark the point to take the throw,
This is something that's got progressively worse over the last year or 2 even in Europe.

It used to be pulled up more

Uses of technol in games that would work

Timer for the goalkeeper rule adds pressure to the players and ref to ensure followed.

Balls out or free kick it can't be that hard to install a high beam light that makes point of free kick, ball out of play etc so it can mark where it should be taken from.

Free kicks for example I'm pretty sure the lead up to their 2nd goals free kick was taken about 20 years forward from where fouls was

Referees need to be instructed to start enforcing the law on the matter. As it stands, it’s Such an easy way for teams to waste time and spoil games with no risk of punishment.

It is a rule but when refereing aslong as keeper was ripping the arse out it .commonsense law

There was never a time limit for holding the ball back then. It was a 4 step rule. Goalkeepers couldn't take more than 4 steps without bouncing the ball or touching it on the ground.

Referees in our immigrant mentally challenged ridden country (stick your fucking hate bill up your immigrant arse) only care when Rangers Keepers hold the ball too long.

we would have won dozens of indirect free kicks over the years if this had been enforced. probably 10 in a game against Aberdeen at Ibrox for example
Mmmmm I might begin a new thread entitled ''indirect free kick to Rangers' then contact Hivs bookmakers to find out the odds, must be worth a fiver.........

There was never a time limit for holding the ball back then. It was a 4 step rule. Goalkeepers couldn't take more than 4 steps without bouncing the ball or touching it on the ground.
Correct mate.
Couldn't 100% remember but googled it.
Definitely remember big gas meter falling foul of it at Hampden in the early 70's v the tinks.

Latest posts

Back