Going around the Keeper

I wondered recently whether this is a dying art?

Players seem to take the first chance to shoot when through on goal these days (thinking about Kent's at Pittordie in the season opener as an example)

I wonder if the stats bods have looked at it and players are told to take this option as it's a better scoring chance.
The change to the rule for red cards will have impacted this too. Rounding the keeper used to be a good chance of a red card and penalty if they mistimed it, but only a yellow now which is less incentive.

Sadiq v Aberdeen oh wait ..
My mate messaged me last night about his "link" to Bayern and I sent him back Sadiq's goal from last year. Already had a tap in but inexplicably tried to go back round the keeper and almost made a complete tit of it

Perhaps also highlights an improvement in keeper tactics as well (and the fact that keepers seem to be a lot larger these days).

Keepers tend not to rush the ball unless they are 100% certain they will get their first and tend to cover the goal more with their size and stand up.

The best I have ever at this was Bobby Lennox. I used to dread seeing him go through on our keepers because he seldom missed.

Pure class this.. I can remember trying this on many occasions to no avail ( obvs) when I was doon the park with my mates in my youth.
I did it beautifully in a game of 7s once and managed to score! I was fucking beaming!

Some very good players in the game and got some ripping for a few weeks afterwards,

'This cùnt thinks he's better than Pelé!' :)

Not Rangers but lost count the amount of time the late great George Best rounded the keeper, think he made a point of it on occasion. Bud Johnston sometime in the 60's can't recall the opposition, he was something special in his day.
He scored 6 goals v Northampton his 6th goal was brilliant

Back