Going to the piggery with half a team injured

Ridvan should have started, so doesn’t count.. Goldson had been dropped (and we were all happy about that). Cortes & Danilo are unknown quantities because they hardly played so are in no way “certain starters” Sima is the only difference to that starting lineup you can honestly say was missing due to injury.

I will concede that the bench would have had more depth though, but I unfortunately don’t think the injury excuse is as much of a thing as you’d like it to be.
I wouldn't like it to be a thing at all, but if you genuinely dont think those named players would improve us considerably I dont know what to say

Lets put it this way, if Butland was injured, Ross McCrorie or Jon McLaughlin played, would you expect to concede more goals?

The OP asked about half a team. Sima alone is not half a team unless I have suddenly lost my ability to count.
Sima, Cortes, Danilo, Goldson, Balogun, Matondo and Jack were all missing and Yilmaz wasn't fit to play a whole game. That meant we had a makeshift central defence, one of whom went off injured at HT, Barisic at LB who has struggled against Celtic for a while now and a striker & RB playing on the wings. We also ended up with McCausland and Wright playing as wingers when neither are good enough. I think Dessers has done reasonably ok this season but we haven't been in a position to rotate the main striker because of Danilo's absence and the need to play Silva on the wing.

It's straw clutching in the extreme.

Celtic finished with a backline today of Scales, Taylor and Ralston.

The 1-0 game they had Lagerbielke playing with them, a guy who Rodgers doesn't even start out of principle.

It doesn't add up at all.

I wouldn't like it to be a thing at all, but if you genuinely dont think those named players would improve us considerably I dont know what to say

Lets put it this way, if Butland was injured, Ross McCrorie or Jon McLaughlin played, would you expect to concede more goals?
None of them stop Celtic running the midfield because Clement once again went with 2 CMs and a number 10 which hasn't worked once against them.

Pretty much every old firm game comes down to who wins the midfield battle and Clement has failed to recognise that after 2 games and just done the same with his 3rd. Will he make the same mistake in the final? Probably.

Went there today with so many players injured. And going dowm to 10 men. Different game if we can play a full team
That's an excuse they would have used , if the roles were reversed, plain and simple we weren't good enough.

We rarely score first to put them under pressure, then the inevitable happens.

We've seen this too often.

Went there today with so many players injured. And going dowm to 10 men. Different game if we can play a full team
We've always got injuries to the point that I don't even know if anybody knows what our best first team is anymore. We should have a string enough squad that injuries don't matter but therein lies the problem.

That was their best 11 today and they were hanging on against us with 10 men.

we'll never know but it would be great to one day have a fully fit squad to choose from when playing that filth.

Cortes, Sima, Ridvan, Goldson, Balogun and Danilo all out injured not saying we'd have definitely won but it would be nice to one day play them with everyone to choose from.
You mean like we did on 30th December last year and also got beaten by a weaker Celtic team than today. Jeez we have so many fans living in some kind of pretend land today. Our very best team still couldn’t win. We are way behind them still.

A major factor and More needs to be looked into these injuries and time taken for recovery compared to other teams.
Look at their injuries maeda, mcgregor, carter vickers all back after couple weeks or so.
Manager has one hand tied behind back until this is sorted.

I’ve been as vocal as anyone after yesterdays utter shambles but the OP is right.

We are quite literally missing at least 5 players that would have started yesterday.

It’s madness to say that wouldn’t have made a big difference. It’s at least half a team ffs.

The problem is that an injury ravaged squad has become that much of the norm for us that the impacts of it tends to just get overlooked by everyone.

It’s something we absolutely have to get sorted for next season to have a chance.

Would our tactics change with a fully fit squad. We are totally inept at pressing. We don't work in combinations, we don't track as a team, countless long balls, we can't play out from the back. Remains to be seen

A fully fit Sima and Cortes would have made it a completely different game.

Sima - Danilo - Cortes, I think thats a stronger front line than what started yesterday although, Silva was decent despite missing that sitter.

We went man for man with them but the bottom line is, we don’t have the mobility in midfield. Lundstram and Lawrence can’t play that way.

I do think Sterling in midfield is key to play that way however, at full back, Tav can’t handle Maeda, Sterling offers some support which is why I think he was placed on the right.

The manager will want younger, fitter and more robust players for next season. He needs to be backed

Of course it would have. Celtic are poor this season. Problem is, we’re just worse, partly due to the number of injuries, especially in the wide areas.
Injuries don’t compensate for same players making constant stupid mistakes that cost us and others that are incapable of even wanting to make a tackle

Agree with RTID55 it makes a world of difference if you have actual wingers a proper LB and another striker and some half decent to come off the bench also you got to keep 10 men on the park aswell

Arguably our first choice front 4 would be Sima, Cortes, Cantwell & Danilo, none of whom played.

Defensively, Ridvan would have started & Goldson or Balogun would have been in for Davies.

They had a full squad & we were without 8 injured plus Cantwell. If people don’t think that would have made a difference then I just don’t know.

Robby McCrorie has never been in a losing team against Celtic has he

Arguably our first choice front 4 would be Sima, Cortes, Cantwell & Danilo, none of whom played.

Defensively, Ridvan would have started & Goldson or Balogun would have been in for Davies.

They had a full squad & we were without 8 injured plus Cantwell. If people don’t think that would have made a difference then I just don’t know.
Davies coped better yesterday than goldson has done in previous games

Correct. The strongest area of their team is the middle of the park and we insist on playing a two man midfield with a number 10 against their 3 man midfield.

Even if guys like Sima and Cortes are fit you need to have some sort of control of the midfield to bring them into the game.

We get steam rollered every time.
Yes. It was embarrassing how easily they were able to pass into any of their midfield 3 and how much space all of their midfield were able to get around edge of our box.

Part of that is lack of effort and heart from individual players not doing their best to keep ball out our net and the better of their opponent and part is shambolic set up the manager chose to use.

100% 6 definite first team regulars and a couple who needed dropped. Plus players needing minutes plus Cantwell makes a difference to that team but if your starting front 3 all out that’s the biggest miss

If you can’t beat motherwell,Ross county,Dundee and minimum your 2 home games against scum then you have no chance of winning the title and being honest you don’t deserve to in my opinion.I watched the game yesterday hoping they would put a bit of effort in but no same movie same actors same result it could have been a lot worse if it wasn’t for our top notch keeper and sterling what is he doing with this boy get him in his right position or centre mid we have a great player in this boy has the manager lost the Dressing Room maybe.

If your well motivated players aren't as good as your injured players you are going to struggle

Its like saying Sima Danilo and Cortes would have been as poor as Silva Dessers and Sterling were today
Wait a minute - you're saying you thought Sterling was poor yesterday?

Wow, just wow!!

100% 6 definite first team regulars and a couple who needed dropped. Plus players needing minutes plus Cantwell makes a difference to that team but if your starting front 3 all out that’s the biggest miss

We’ve probably had AN AVERAGE of 6-8 players not available per match this season FB.

I still don’t use that as an excuse for yesterday’s poor performance, but it does have a big impact on a season, especially at the back end, when some players are just looking spent.

Our injury list throughout the season has been horrific and is something that needs to be addressed.
Doesn't excuse some of Clement's decision making though.
I'm sure I read somewhere Clement had identified this injury issue and had raised his concerns. Not exactly sure what that means but I would like to know what Clement's thoughts are on this issue & how he intends to address it.
Every club has injuries but I don't see any other club with the numbers and lengh of injuries we have.

You could sum up our luck with injuries in just the last couple of weeks. Goldson season ending injury, then Balogun gets injured and the Souttar goes off injured yesterday, not sure any team could cope with losing 3 CBs good, bad or indifferent

You could sum up our luck with injuries in just the last couple of weeks. Goldson season ending injury, then Balogun gets injured and the Souttar goes off injured yesterday, not sure any team could cope with losing 3 CBs good bad or indifferent
And yet we were again 2 down at that point.

We’ve probably had AN AVERAGE of 6-8 players not available per match this season FB.

I still don’t use that as an excuse for yesterday’s poor performance, but it does have a big impact on a season, especially at the back end, when some players are just looking spent.
Although it’s not ideal, it’s only really an issue for a game, if it’s a sudden thing. Players being out for a long-time as most of those are mean you have more than enough time to try work around it. That team that played yesterday is not a “new” team.

We keep finding excuses for failure , we manage to beat ourselves time and time again, when was the last time we lost a goal thru a team playing good football , its always individual errors be that defensively or missing easy chances , it cannot be easy playing in front of such a demanding support but the manager must be absolutely ruthless if players ain't cutting the mustard or showing the requisite desire then they are out or it will be the manager who will go we cannot continue accepting failure what is the point in grandiose plans for stadium expansion when the team is failing on the pitch .

They have better players than ours throughout their team, they can pass the ball, they have a system they play to, they are faster in movement and speed of thought, they take chances, they they are miles ahead of us in all areas of the field, they have players who hate us, we have a team made up of spineless cowards, lets not talk about coaching, that would be unfair as we dont seem to have any.

It wouldn’t have made a difference.
I think it would have if we’d had Cortes, Sima, Danilo etc fit. But it’s absolutely irrelevant as we lost and we blew a brilliant position. There’s been bad luck and there’s been self inflicted wounds.

Not for this thread but I’m at least now hopeful that we can repair some of the Beale damage by recovering our outgoings on Lammers and Dessers (which looked impossible in October but should now be doable)

It would mate!!

Guys like Sima, Danilo, Cortes, Yilmaz etc make us better, without question.
Of course they do, without question they make us better, it also allows us to play Sterling in the middle, but enough to win? Maybe, maybe not.

Injuries have absolutely destroyed us this season, I don’t think it is a coincidence that our form went out the window when Cortes got injured and Sima had another set back.

We might still have fallen short because so many regular starters that initially played well under Clement reverted back to type.

Clement seems to think he knows the root cause of the injuries and we can only hope he is right.

Although it’s not ideal, it’s only really an issue for a game, if it’s a sudden thing. Players being out for a long-time as most of those are mean you have more than enough time to try work around it. That team that played yesterday is not a “new” team.

It’s not a ‘new’ team, but we played away to their full team without imo Rangers best front 4.

If that isn’t a factor to you then fine, but it is to me.

Thats not me excusing an unacceptable performance. It’s also not me excusing Clement both selection or tactic wise either.

It’s not a ‘new’ team, but we played away to their full team without imo Rangers best front 4.

If that isn’t a factor to you then fine, but it is to me.

Thats not me excusing an unacceptable performance. It’s also not me excusing Clement both selection or tactic wise either.
You're spot on Grigo. I'd argue our main front 3 were missing yesterday in Danilo. Cortes and Sima. We've even got Goldson, Jack, Matondo etc out too. These guys are starters or first team regulars. They would change the way we play entirely . Clement isn't immune to criticism but the alternatives to the team yesterday were just as bad.

None of us wanted to see Lundstram, Barisic, Silva etc but there was no one else. Ridvan has kicked a ball for about 10 mins in recent months. You have to be fair with this.

Injuries don’t compensate for same players making constant stupid mistakes that cost us and others that are incapable of even wanting to make a tackle
No but I don’t think many in our starting 11 are that good and that is due to the number of injuries in key parts of the team.

Back