Goldson and Katic

The difference with these two at cb is night and day. Both strong in the air and technically good.
That's two leagues we've had 10 men for the majority of the match and only conceded one goal.
I make it 148 minutes of football with ten men, and only one goal conceded.
I wonder if there is some sort of record in there? :D

The difference with these two at cb is night and day. Both strong in the air and technically good.
That's two league games we've had 10 men for the majority of the match and only conceded one goal.

I just wish we'd win a higher percentage of first balls at set pieces. A minor quibble I know, but apart from that I'm very happy with the centre halves.

Two very tidy players. Goldson edges it just now and they'll both get better, but I think Katic could overtake him at some point considering he's only 21.

Very hard to find two accomplished and confident defenders that work together well, even harder to find them at 21 and 25 years old. Terrific work done by Allen and the scouts, it makes the decision to let Bates go more understandable now.

I just wish we'd win a higher percentage of first balls at set pieces. A minor quibble I know, but apart from that I'm very happy with the centre halves.

Yeah, I noticed this in the previous two games before today. I hope the lanky Barasic well help us in that dept.

Delighted with the pair of them. When you look at what you get for your money from EPL sides we have landed a bit of a bargain with Goldson imo.

Completely agree. And the way the team celebrated together when Goldson scored was an absolute delight. Shows that team spirit is high and we are just going to get stronger with each game.

Our whole defense looks rock solid.
It's actually incredible how well they've gelled as a compact unit so quickly.
I've a feeling losing stupid soft goals that cost us points will be a thing of the past this season!

If we keep them together for a couple of seasons, they'll be the best pairing we've had in the past 20 years

Every attribute you'd want is present

So so SO good to have a back 4 that we trust & that looks like they love doing the hard work.

Katic showed today he can play as well as being solid. some good passes out from the back..

Big goldy looks an absolute beast & he'll have a taste for goals..

Flano is just solid as %^*&. Loves a tackle & reads the game well.

Barisic gives us NATURAL left footed wide & delivery. Will be just as good as tav going forward & IMO a bit more solid on the defensive foot.

Buzzing at another clean sheet - last few seasons we'd have conceded & crumbled

Let's go!!!

That's two leagues we've had 10 men for the majority of the match and only conceded one goal.

And they will only get better after playing more games together, brilliant signings.

Solid. Loving that they are both clearly a threat at set pieces too - I see any set piece now as a genuine goal chance unlike last season! :)

Two very tidy players. Goldson edges it just now and they'll both get better, but I think Katic could overtake him at some point considering he's only 21.

Very hard to find two accomplished and confident defenders that work together well, even harder to find them at 21 and 25 years old. Terrific work done by Allen and the scouts, it makes the decision to let Bates go more understandable now.
I was absolutely scunnered at letting Bates go but it does indeed make sense now.

I was absolutely scunnered at letting Bates go but it does indeed make sense now.
Listen I liked Bates, and as a raw lad, I could see the potential.
But perhaps watching us for the last few years had made me forget what a really good centre back looks like.
The two lads we have now are just fckn tremendous.

Put it this way.
If they were both Scottish, there is your international centre of defence right there.

They have been first class.

But we absolutely need back up for them for suspensions and injuries.
It is a real shame that we never got Cooper.
Well rated by Millwall supporters, and if Gerrard thought he was a centre back, then what more evidence is required?

Listen I liked Bates, and as a raw lad, I could see the potential.
But perhaps watching us for the last few years had made me forget what a really good centre back looks like.
The two lads we have now are just fckn tremendous.

Put it this way.
If they were both Scottish, there is your international centre of defence right there.
Without a doubt. I just felt Bates was the best CB at the club at the time, with plenty room for improvement & to be getting rid was really a risky move.

Tbh, I'd still have preferred to keep him for backup but what's done is done.

For me Goldson is the real captain of the team. I would love to know what he said to Morelos after Alfie’s goal. Quality player.

When you think that Bates was a played that we liked because of his potential... then realise that Katic is even younger than him (albeit by 5 days!)...

And how many times has McGregor had to make a save? 2 or 3 at most I reckon, confidence in the defence is sky high just now.

We play so much higher up the back and this helps our midfield press the game better. Goldson is superb and Katic is born to defend. Lovely;)

Its ludicrous for anyone to suggest katic is better than goldson.

The latters goal and our win got me my bet up today so for that reason alone he's far superior!!!

Seems a great pairing and sure to develop. If we could just have a bit more consistency infront of them its gonna be some defence.

We have only conceded 2 shots on targets in the league so far despite playing the bulk of it with 10 men. They are two excellent defenders. For a 21yo Katic has been really impressive. We have seen much more experienced players struggle to adapt to the game here but he is strolling it. Great find.

We have two centre backs
Goldson and katic
I just don't think you'll win the ball
They tackle and get the ball
Head the ball and score goals
We ve goldson and katic

Any improvements welcome

Feels great to have a solid back line again.
Might be being greedy here, but one more quality CB for cover... because I shit myself today when Katic when down.

Great partnership thus far, light years ahead of Martin and Bates. Goldson is assured and can pick a pass and Katic reads the game very well for a 21 year old. They also won’t be bullied by the hammer throwers up here.

The only worry is if one gets injured or suspended. We need decent back up, McCrorie is not a centre half.

I actually think we have “stolen” Goldson he is an absolute rolls Royce of a player.

Katic and Barasic for 1.5m each is ridiculously good value as well.

We look so solid at the back now it’s a joy.

I actually think we have “stolen” Goldson he is an absolute rolls Royce of a player.

Katic and Barasic for 1.5m each is ridiculously good value as well.

We look so solid at the back now it’s a joy.

We still need another CB for cover. The sight of Hodson on our bench still gives me the fear.

Fantastic pairing. McGregor behind them brings confidence and experience. McCrory playing just in front could develop really well.

It’s early days but if they can command £10m for that donkey Boyata we must be looking at at least £15-£20m each because both make him look like he should be playing in the juniors

Back