Gordon Durie

He's many times the player dessers was but id also say he played with two of the best players the game has seen supporting him for two or three seasons

I had a soft spot for Durie, yes he wasn’t the best, and first touch left a lot to be desired, but he also scored his fair share of goals and always gave it absolutely everything he had

Which is madness tbh.

I can understand the work horse type output, but did Durie go to 96 & 98?
At Euro 96 Ally had a season disrupted by injury to be fair, and by 98 Ally was at Killie and miles past his best, so it wasn’t really madness when you consider the context.

Gave us an immediate boost when we signed him. Scored against Motherwell away I think ?

He got picked to play for Scotland in front of McCoist quite a few times (England at Wembley in Euro 96 being one)
He won the penalty that day.

At Euro 96 Ally had a season disrupted by injury to be fair, and by 98 Ally was at Killie and miles past his best, so it wasn’t really madness when you consider the context.

When you look at what he could bring to the team though and the alternatives, it was bizarre.

I think even Brown admits the mistake.

My favourite World Cup memory was the 98 WC draw. Jukebox was the designated Scotland player and as Scotland were drawn, up he walks on stage to sit beside……Ronaldo.

Gave him a polite nod, then plonked himself down.

98 WC was at the end of Ally’s Indian Summer. Came back and tried to drag Rangers to a double. I think he got 8 goals in the last 10 league and cup games.

He really is the definition of under rated, perhaps because of the quality of other strikers around that time.
He was quick, worked tirelessly for the team and scored a fair number of goals considering he was in and out of the team and played wide.
His first touch was the worst I can remember though, lower league standard.
For a bit of context I’d start him against them next week if we could wind the clock back 30 years.

I never take to players that don't have a decent first touch.

Obviously the guy was a professional, and played his part in a great era, and likely 100x better than anyone on here.

But as kids, my brother and I used to sarcastically say Durie was brilliant at running in straight lines.

Durie was a good player but rarely a fans favourite mostly due to having quality all over the squad. I remember him being quick, a good finisher, tremendous work rate, brave, and could play in different positions. His touch wasn’t always great if we’re being honest but he was a brilliant signing and he significantly contributed to what was a very successful period for us. Him being underrated by the fans is a decent shout.

When you look at what he could bring to the team though and the alternatives, it was bizarre.

I think even Brown admits the mistake.
Yeah I think he should definitely have been in the squad, but by that juncture in both careers, I’m not sure he would have been starting at France 98 ahead of Durie.
Darren bloody Jackson is another matter entirely though

McCoist left Rangers after season 97-98 so was still at us for he World Cup.

What about his efforts in the 10 IAR season?

He scored in 2 league games from 26 appearances.

That’s a centre forward we’re talking about here.
An aging and under used Ally out scored him in half a dozen games.

He cost us 10 with his efforts in front of goal.
Excuse me for not joining in on the praise.
Single handedly or along with every other player who had a major cockup throught the season?

Single handedly or along with every other player who had a major cockup throught the season?
Well do you know how a heap of posters in here are saying the lack of a good striker could cost us the league this season and nobody bats an eyelid or disagrees?

Well that's what happened in the 10 season.
A good striker would have won us the league.
Of that I have no doubt.

In the race to be the most insulting to a player who played his heart out for the club, this is surely the worst.

Well done, champ!

And your spelling is not just "averidge", it's most definitely CRAP.
It's not the worst.
I would have accepted average in the 10 IAR season.
He was brutal in that season.

I remember coming back from Rugby Park circa season 95/96 or thereabouts, anyway we won 2-0 I think and Durie had sustained a really bad head knock. The physio comes on, bandaged him up and we are good to go. A few minutes later Durie collapses on the far side from the dugout area. He’s then stretchered off.
We get back on the bus and Radio Scotland is on and they are talking about him like he had died as result of the head knock!!!
It was a rather sobering moment, but as we all know he lived happily ever after.
Was his first game for us away to Partick Thistle (0-0)?
Footnote to the bold Durie clan, my now wife once went out with his brother Campbell….
I'm related and that night was a night that upset a lot in our family. If you remember Gazza was also injured that night both players went to hospital and when the great Walter Smith came to visit he came thorough the door and said how is Gazza is he ok will he play again how bad is it etc etc. and eventually some one asked, do you want to know about Durie...

I was 8 years old at the time but I still remember that miss against Parma at Ibrox from that amazing Amato skill and assist.

The only guy that ever scored a hat trick in a cup final and still didn’t get man of the match. :D

Unbelievably Joe Harper scored a hat-trick for Hibs in the 1974 League Cup Final and didn't get MOTM as they lost 6-3 to the scum, with Deans scoring a hat-trick for them!

As for Durie, he was a useful squad player. Decent enough but not a definite starter every week

not as pretty on the eye as many other players but really put a shift in and scored his fair share of goals. For a supposed average player he had a pretty decent career, done well down in England and was part of a successful Rangers team over a number of years.

Well do you know how a heap of posters in here are saying the lack of a good striker could cost us the league this season and nobody bats an eyelid or disagrees?

Well that's what happened in the 10 season.
A good striker would have won us the league.
Of that I have no doubt.
It's always a fair point if and when chances are being missed.

It's also wrong to ignore the amount of goals and points we flung away through absolute f.uck ups by the rest of the team over that season.

It's always a fair point if and when chances are being missed.

It's also wrong to ignore the amount of goals and points we flung away through absolute f.uck ups by the rest of the team over that season.
I'm not so much critical of previous seasons which were decent if not spectacular.
His TIAR season was nothing short of abysmal though and in such an important season too.

The calendar year 1998. January - to the season's end, he scored a single solitary goal as Marco Negri's replacement.

Hell, even the post injury and uninterested Negri outscored him on his rare appearances.

Yes, he played his heart out, but Walter Smith must shoulder blame too for persisting with him.

I'll never forgive him for that miss against Parma at home after a magnificent bit of skill from Amato stuck it on a plate for him.

He was always the guy that scored the 3rd or 4th goal never the 1st and most decisive which I think unfortunately works against him,

In terms of work rate he couldn’t be faulted.
I think it was about 6 or 7 in a row where he really did step up to the plate as we had a lot of injuries

Durie was your classic Scottish striker.

Hard working, plenty of energy, lots of running but inconsistent as hell and streaky as well with his goalscoring.

He was here seven seasons and hit double figures twice. But TBF that doesn't tell the full story. He was a super foil for both Hateley and Negri in terms of his off the ball work and movement.

Gave us an immediate boost when we signed him. Scored against Motherwell away I think ?

He got picked to play for Scotland in front of McCoist quite a few times (England at Wembley in Euro 96 being one)
Pretty sure it was a double on his debut, a header and waltzed round the goalkeeper in a one on one.

Back