Gordon Durie

Everyone is entitled an opinion,but to describe Gordon Durie as crap is in my opinion rubbish.
I thought he was a decent player for us and scored some important goals.
Admittedly he was disappointing in the 10iar season,but a number of players had an off season which led to us winning nothing.

He was always the guy that scored the 3rd or 4th goal never the 1st and most decisive which I think unfortunately works against him,

In terms of work rate he couldn’t be faulted.
Haven't read full thread but his goal after 20 odd seconds at Tannadice been mentioned? :D

I remember coming back from Rugby Park circa season 95/96 or thereabouts, anyway we won 2-0 I think and Durie had sustained a really bad head knock. The physio comes on, bandaged him up and we are good to go. A few minutes later Durie collapses on the far side from the dugout area. He’s then stretchered off.
We get back on the bus and Radio Scotland is on and they are talking about him like he had died as result of the head knock!!!
It was a rather sobering moment, but as we all know he lived happily ever after.
Was his first game for us away to Partick Thistle (0-0)?
Footnote to the bold Durie clan, my now wife once went out with his brother Campbell….
That's the one you could hear the thud from the opposite end of the stadium - horrific. Other one you could hear the thud like that was when Ally broke his leg playing against Portugal.

Things like that never leave you.

My old boy had an irrational dislike for him.

Always went on about him never lifting his head.
I regretted posting that for a minute because I was probably judging him against McCoist and Hateley, the two best strikers in my years going to see Rangers.

Trying to be kind here, it’s not as if we don’t have enough people having a go at us. He done us a very good turn with his goal contribution.

Jeez, cheers for that, long time ago. Been in my head as his debut.
Could have sworn that as well.

Vague memory of being behind the goal when he scored on a dark Saturday evening but it’s all merging these days.

Back when we played with two up front Durie was crucial in the squad.

Last edited:
Did I see him in Tesco Uddingston mulling over the potential purchase of a 2kg bag of own brand frozen oven chips, or did I dream it?

Have a gander at his prolific 1998 goal scoring form when we were chasing probably the most important title in our history.

His single goal was a late 3rd in a game already won.

Last edited:
I remember one game (can't remember who against though) we were getting beaten and towards the end of the game, the ball was played through to Durie in the right channel. He ran through towards goal, his first touch was off his shin and out for a goal kick. Infuriating.

That summed him up for me his first touch was fŭcking abysmal.
He was a very average player playing in a good Rangers team, who was always going to get some chances due to his pace and work rate, but his record was poor. On a par with Dessers imo.

I seen him in the flesh playing for us and he was shite.Multiple times.
I don't get the outrage.
If you’d have just said that rather than comparing him to two of the best strikers to ever pull on our jersey then it would’ve gotten less of a reaction.

What about his efforts in the 10 IAR season?

He scored in 2 league games from 26 appearances.

That’s a centre forward we’re talking about here.
An aging and under used Ally out scored him in half a dozen games.

He cost us 10 with his efforts in front of goal.
Excuse me for not joining in on the praise.
Blaming one player for not getting 10 in a row is extremely harsh.Walter announcing he was leaving,the Marco Negri debacle,losing 2 of our last 4 games after beating the tramps and just running out of steam were bigger contributors to throwing it away that season.

For starters, I wasn’t being negative I was just saying I couldn’t believe he didn’t score against Celtic.

Secondly, it’s not “made up” is it?

Thirdly, Durie is rightly a Rangers legend and takes his place amongst many of the other legendary team of that era.

He is not in any universe a Rangers legend.

A good servant certainly.

I'd say posts like this devalue the term legend.

Blaming one player for not getting 10 in a row is extremely harsh.Walter announcing he was leaving,the Marco Negri debacle,losing 2 of our last 4 games after beating the tramps and just running out of steam were bigger contributors to throwing it away that season.
Durie's performance in the Kilmarnock defeat, the game where we ultimately blew it, was nothing short of diabolical. Comically bad if you were a neutral.

He was instrumental if not solely responsible for our failure that season.

You'll probably guess I've not quite gotten over that season. :))
It hits a nerve with me when posters sing his praises.

In saying that, he's nowhere near my least favourite Ranger, but that season still riles a lot more than it really should.

Durie's performance in the Kilmarnock defeat, the game where we ultimately blew it, was nothing short of diabolical. Comically bad if you were a neutral.

He was instrumental if not solely responsible for our failure that season.

You'll probably guess I've not quite gotten over that season. :))
It hits a nerve with me when posters sing his praises.

In saying that, he's nowhere near my least favourite Ranger, but that season still riles a lot more than it really should.
It was a hard one to take ,we were a better team than the mhanks beating them twice and drawing one that season.Imo it was a collective failure.Hopefully winning the league this season will ease the pain

Which is madness tbh.

I can understand the work horse type output, but did Durie go to 96 & 98?
96 yes as I’m sure he won the penalty against England which MaCallister missed, I don’t think he made 98 , Darren Jackson took his place :))

He got picked to play for Scotland in front of McCoist quite a few times (England at Wembley in Euro 96 being one)
It's a good trivia question; who played up front for Scotland against England at Euro 96? Most people would guess McCoist and Durie but the actual answer is:

Durie and John Spencer.

It's a good trivia question; who played up front for Scotland against England at Euro 96? Most people would guess McCoist and Durie but the actual answer is:

Durie and John Spencer.

Was it Booth?

Just clicked - I’m wrong!

Have a gander at his prolific 1998 goal scoring form when we were chasing probably the most important title in our history.

A sobering list of defeats/draws laid out like that, even though other teams had more about them back then, it’s a shocker.

Imagine the match day threads !!

A very good squad player with an eye for goal. Unfortunately his second touch was usually a tackle.

A decent player to have in the squad, better than decent as a squad player I guess and had his moments and a good attitude but like several others in the ten in a row season he ran out of steam.

Was never my favourite but most of the time if he was in the team it wouldn't annoy me as you knew what you'd be getting. A good, honest shift with defenders occupied.

I always feel like he made a big impact in the 93-94 season when he signed and we were struggling. McCoist had been struggling with knocks following his broken leg and remember Durie scoring a few vital goals.

I remember coming back from Rugby Park circa season 95/96 or thereabouts, anyway we won 2-0 I think and Durie had sustained a really bad head knock. The physio comes on, bandaged him up and we are good to go. A few minutes later Durie collapses on the far side from the dugout area. He’s then stretchered off.
We get back on the bus and Radio Scotland is on and they are talking about him like he had died as result of the head knock!!!
It was a rather sobering moment, but as we all know he lived happily ever after.
Footnote to the bold Durie clan, my now wife once went out with his brother Campbell….
Campbell was a madman from what I remember so he probably pumped your wife rotten!

Weirdly enough one of my first memories that have stuck with me is of my dad coming in from the game and telling my mum about what had happened with Durie that day. I must have only been about 4 at the time

I wasn’t a huge fan of his at the time, but the comparison he was trying to live up to was Ally, Mo and Mark Hateley. An impossible task.

Looking back, he was a great squad player - better than adequate as a second choice striker and his work-rate made him great foil for the more talented players around him, such as Laudrup. There was a spell when he was justifiably our main striker (due to Ally’s injuries) and he has a cup final winning hat trick to look back on with pride.

Back