Gordon Smith - bigging up the Gers on Radio 4

I just caught the chat on the game tonight and he was reserved and a bit negative to say the least, when contrasted against Brazil hail hail positive Tim shit it’s like a times he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He may have been more positive earlier on a bit I missed, but listening I thought fucks sake Ally at least be a bit enthusiastic.
Maybe still embarrased about his time as manager, still never mind eh! :mad:

Your biggest mistake is comparing him to Brazil.
A guy who still supports the organisation that facilitated his abuse, and helped keep his abuser out of jail?

I'm glad Ally is nothing like him.
Always amazes me that people go on about Ally not being like public Celtic supporters as if that's a bad thing. It's as if the things they dispise about them they want him to be. Bizarre.

Ally is a true bear and always will be. I too am glad he's not like them.

I've met him a few times, and he really is a proper gent.

Compared to the trash that now pollute the offices at Hampden, Gordon Smith just oozes class and decency and integrity.

Shocking the way he was booted out by tims, so they could throw their own lickspittles into place as they booted the games most illustrious and important club from pillar to post.

Never forget. Never forgive.
No club in football has been treated as appallingly as we have. As you say, never forgive nor forget.

I remember talking to Smith on the flight to Valencia in the CL under Advocaat. Total gent and passionate about the Gers.

Ally was absolutely fine this morning and it is a little bizarre anyone would say different. During the odds checker thing he was telling Brazil that despite the odds on a league win he was still hopeful, he said that we have work to do tonight but it is a game we can win, basically pretty positive without going full on poet level blinded by everything bad.

Sorry BR, but I supported the guy throughout his playing career when he received so much abuse in those early days, but his behaviour in later years doesn’t in my opinion suggest that mate. Just my opinion.
I seen him on Si Ferrys show recently being interviewed and he was asked about having to wear a Celtic jersey in the movie he acted in years ago and he said he wore a Rangers top underneath it cause he didn't want the Celtic top touching his skin. And he wasn't joking either.

Ally has never been a bitter head but he has always been and will always be a total Rangers man. Anyone who thinks otherwise is out of their mind frankly.

I seen him on Si Ferrys show recently being interviewed and he was asked about having to wear a Celtic jersey in the movie he acted in years ago and he said he wore a Rangers top underneath it cause he didn't want the Celtic top touching his skin. And he wasn't joking either.

Ally has never been a bitter head but he has always been and will always be a total Rangers man. Anyone who thinks otherwise is out of their mind frankly.

Thanks for the compliment mate. I know stories about him that I’ll not share on here & will retain my opinion despite my insanity.

So in short, he's said fùck all wrong but gets a kicking on FF anyway.

Basically, he's repeated almost word for word what Gerrard said last Thursday.
Sorry problem with the tablet, all I was going to say everyone of us has made there mind up about McCoist and for 95 % we will never change, he is old news now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment mate. I know stories about him that I’ll not share on here & will retain my opinion despite my insanity.
I meet him years ago he came to the Shankill Road with Andy Goram to meet young disabled Rangers fans. Him and Goram ended up in the local bar later that night so I've a few stories too that I won't share :D

Ally is a true blue. Baffles me why Rangers supporters get on his back.

So to paraphrase, you heard these stories about him that are so bad, your opinion is fixed and can't be changed, but no one else has heard them, and you won't say what they are, but that's why you know you're right?

:rolleyes:

So to paraphrase, you heard these stories about him that are so bad, your opinion is fixed and can't be changed, but no one else has heard them, and you won't say what they are, but that's why you know you're right?

:rolleyes:

Nope Ally that’s not right. I was let down by his behaviour at taking the clubs money, from the contract he claims he didn’t read, and bleeding the Club when at our lowest.
In addition to this I know things from a family member who worked in Ibrox.

Why is it that on FF everyone is falling over themselves to abuse club legends like Ally McCoist and Barry Ferguson on a regular basis?

They are Rangers to the core and both men have given us all many a happy memory. I cant quite understand it, no amount of shite management and newspaper opinion pieces change the fact that they are Rangers Legends.

Nope Ally that’s not right. I was let down by his behaviour at taking the clubs money, from the contract he claims he didn’t read, and bleeding the Club when at our lowest.
He worked for free then worked for half price during the most difficult times in the clubs history.

You should feel more let down by whoever was dishing out the contracts.

If Rangers employed me on a 50k a week contract, I'd expect to receive 50k minus tax and NI.

When GS first started in the journalism side of football, he tried too hard to be seen as unbiased. So much so that he came across like many of ex Rangers men writing today, it appeared he was putting the boot into to us.

Then one game he done the half time draw, and he received a rather frosty reception. The penny dropped and he has been excellent ever since.

Decent, honest guy.
Said on Radio Scotland he was a Rangers fan.
Actually Dick Gordon said to him “he wasn’t a Rangers fan though” and Smith replied “yes I am”.
I wish I could remember the debate of the day so that we could find the episode.
Was long before podcasts, that’s for sure.

Always liked Gordon Smith, sadly I never got the chance to see him in a Rangers jersey. Looked a really decent player from clips I've seen.

My only memory of him at Ibrox was him being introduced to the crowd and some fans booing him during the half time draw. It was against the Danish team Herfolge.

I just caught the chat on the game tonight and he was reserved and a bit negative to say the least, when contrasted against Brazil hail hail positive Tim shit it’s like a times he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He may have been more positive earlier on a bit I missed, but listening I thought fucks sake Ally at least be a bit enthusiastic.
possibly too preoccupied with his son facing jail-time for being a stupid spoilt wee prick

Back