Gordon Smith takes a pop at John Greig in Open Goal interview

Gimme examples of the vile. odious and ignorant?

He must have went full throttle on you, a new member.

PS, was it early doors or when he was thinking of resigning?
My apologies for the low post count and I fully understand why that should call the veracity of my post into question.
On the day in question our local supporters club were on a tour of Ibrox, our numbers were largely made up of local youngsters, probably aged between 10 and 15. During the course of the tour we happened upon Mr Greig, in the dressing room area. Naturally, two or three of the younger ones stepped forward and asked for his autograph. His response was to bellow at these kids, that he did not have time for that sort of thing, before storming off in an inexplicable rage.
Fortunately, the episode was witnessed by Willie Thornton (a gentleman and a credit to Rangers), who whilst undoubtedly embarrassed by Greig's behaviour apologised to our group and took the time out to guide us round the rest of the stadium.
As to when this happened, that is pretty irrelevant, because nothing can excuse Greig's behaviour, that day.

No secret that Smith regarded Greig as a bit of a dummy.

John Grieg had him sussed since day 1 don’t be fooled Gordon Smith is not one of us he said in the interview I could have played with celtic and I might have chose celtic remember he works for the bbc

John Grieg had him sussed since day 1 don’t be fooled Gordon Smith is not one of us he said in the interview I could have played with celtic and I might have chose celtic remember he works for the bbc

Did he have Davie Cooper and Jock Wallace sussed as well?

I love John Greig but what a horrible thing to say to someone on there first day at a new job !

Why would you go against the greatest ever Ranger to stick up for a guy who works for bbc and said he could have played for celtic or Aberdeen instead of Rangers
Davie Cooper said in a tv interview that he didn’t get on with John Greig either,especially when he was manager and constantly trying to sell him.in coops own words “I had a bad time under him as he just didn’t fancy me as a player”.is he any less a ranger for going against John Greig

Why would you go against the greatest ever Ranger to stick up for a guy who works for bbc and said he could have played for celtic or Aberdeen instead of Rangers

It's about whether it's true, not whether you want to be a cheerleader for either side. Smith already outlined his issues with Greig 10 years ago in his book so it's not new information.

Read John Greig's book and his issues with Jock Wallace. Cliping on Wallace to Willie Waddell. Moaning that Jock left him the 'onerous task of replacing his ageing team' - aye, they'd just won 2 Trebles in 3 years. How onerous. Jock left him 'too many old players' and 'wasn't one for tactics' - unlike the tactically brilliant JG, of course.

It's about whether it's true, not whether you want to be a cheerleader for either side. Smith already outlined his issues with Greig 10 years ago in his book so it's not new information.

Read John Greig's book and his issues with Jock Wallace. Cliping on Wallace to Willie Waddell. Moaning that Jock left him the 'onerous task of replacing his ageing team' - aye, they'd just won 2 Trebles in 3 years. How onerous. Jock left him 'too many old players' and 'wasn't one for tactics' - unlike the tactically brilliant JG, of course.

Before my time don’t care

My experiences of Mr Greig are two-fold. When I was a young boy in the early 90s I wrote a letter to Rangers asking to meet the players. I can now assume they got hundreds of these letters every week. I believe he was head of PR then? He replied handwritten to me explaining why it wouldn't be possible. I had no idea who he was but my dad thought this was incredible and it showed a personal touch.

Years later I politely approached him before he entered the ground. Now I was raised properly and I didn't rush him and I addressed him correctly, knowing he was a busy man, asking for a quick photo with him. His response was, and I quote " these fucking camera phones are for wee lassies and (homophobic remark), away ye phuking go". I was naturally taken aback.

An older bear, probably a similar age to Mr Greig, heard all this and shouted at him for always being a phucking ignorant bastard and forgetting who made him what he is/was. I'm lukewarm to him at best.

His playing status as a legend is undeniable in any way, shape or form though.

Greig doesn't come across as a very nice guy , I know a few people who have dealings with him & was disappointed to hear the way he conducted himself
John has a gruff manner but in my opinion is vert easy to get on with.
Gordon has a fair point and I know the both of them are ok in each others company.
Gordon is always honest in his opinions

I'm not sure why this comes out now. As a previous poster highlighted, this was in a biography that is many years old already. John Greig has a fame and adoration held by many who see him as our on the field flag carrier and captain. Fair enough. But the man has a personal side that isn't always soft and amiable. He likes being the main man, the funniest man, the Leg, and the centre of attention. He has a human frailness to that not being the case. He was a man for his time. As each era moved on, his relevance declined. His respect remained but his relevance declined. So he struggled with that sometimes and he bitched and moaned. He got grumpy and old. It will happen to you one day. But he was still our captain for much of my youth. Respect. Always.

Looking at the original post, does anyone over the age of 5 actually relate a conversation by saying “he goes” rather than “he said”?

Back