Graham Alexander

We run the risk of brow-beating the interviewers (rather than the interviewees) into asking a series of bland questions in order to avoid 'confrontation'.
If the managers should have the skill set to handle awkward questions surely the professional sports journalists should have the skill set to ask interesting, relevant football-based questions when faced with recalcitrance or even work the behaviour aspect in subtly.
Fans want to hear about the game, how the manager read the game, what he did to help his players, how the players applied the tactics, overcame set backs etc. etc.
Focus on the football, not the furore.
Anyway, I've said my piece.

Last edited:
If the managers should have the skill set to handle awkward questions surely the professional sports journalists should have the skill set to ask interesting, relevant football-based questions when faced with recalcitrance or even work the behaviour aspect in subtly.
Fans want to hear about the game, how the manager read the game, what he did to help his players, how the players applied the tactics, overcome set backs etc. etc.
Focus on the football, not the furore.
Anyway, I've said my piece.
So easy when you put it like that

Why should we seek the lowest possible standards of journalism and questioning.

Focusing on the manager’s sending off rather than football is the sporting journalism equivalent of the tabloids or Hello Magazine.

Journalists being antagonistic bastards and focusing on anything except the sport and we’re supposed to welcome it?

Time for the journos in this country to up their game.

See Gerrard’s midweek interview

Interviewer straight in about Patterson

”I’m surprised that’s your first question...”

About time people put our scum media in their place.

The irony of calling the managers self important, that label more appropriate to our journos.
Ooft. Incoming.

As for Alexander he does come across as a bit of a dick, but he's entitled to want to talk about his teams performance rather than have to pander to a bbc muckraker looking for a headline.

He came across as a c*nt because he refused to play the part of Aunt Sally in a pathetic soap-opera?
Perhaps if more managers adopted Alexander's 'c*nty' behaviour we'd hear less of the nonsense.
You really prefer the Chick Young school of heh-heh-heh journalism?

He got sent off in stoppage time and the journalist asked him about it. Shut it down; move the interview on. That's all he had to do. Instead, he's become the talking point himself, which is ironically what he was arguing against.

It's poor media handling from an inexperienced manager.

Regardless, I'm not really sure why some are going out the way to defend him. The guy acted like a complete tit after our draw there in January. That he's had 2 reds and a yellow in his past 3 games suggests he really needs to take a look at himself.

the journalist asked him about it. Shut it down; move the interview on. That's all he had to do. Instead, he's become the talking point himself, which is ironically what he was arguing against.
Who made it the talking point?
Who sees Scottish football as a soap opera?
I’m not defending him, I’m defending his right to refuse to encourage the trivialisation of the game for the promotion of nonsense.
Hi arseyness against us is your reason for siding with the BBC?
Who’s our bigger foe?

Who made it the talking point?
Who sees Scottish football as a soap opera?
I’m not defending him, I’m defending his right to refuse to encourage the trivialisation of the game for the promotion of nonsense.
Hi arseyness against us is your reason for siding with the BBC?
Who’s our bigger foe?

Nope, the point about him acting a dick against us was an appendix.

The bloke had been in trouble over the past couple of games. He was then sent off again. It was a valid question to ask, given it had just transpired. A good manager shuts it down and moves on; instead, he tried to act the c*nt and has now made a sideshow of himself. You can agree or disagree with what he said, but it's inarguable that he has now become the talking point.

You talk about trivilisation of the game - that is something I'll agree with you with when it comes to the Scottish media. But not in this instance.

Nope, the point about him acting a dick against us was an appendix.

The bloke had been in trouble over the past couple of games. He was then sent off again. It was a valid question to ask, given it had just transpired. A good manager shuts it down and moves on; instead, he tried to act the c*nt and has now made a sideshow of himself. You can agree or disagree with what he said, but it's inarguable that he has now become the talking point.

You talk about trivilisation of the game - that is something I'll agree with you with when it comes to the Scottish media. But not in this instance.
I’ve already addressed the shutting it down aspect and it wouldn’t have been left at one question, would it?
You either agree with letting the media dictate the agenda or you don’t.

Where’s the behaviour line of questioning going anyway? What do you reckon we’d learn by Alexander admitting he was a bad boy and shouldn’t have been?

See Gerrard’s midweek interview

Interviewer straight in about Patterson

”I’m surprised that’s your first question...”

About time people put our scum media in their place.

The irony of calling the managers self important, that label more appropriate to our journos.

You tell them mate. We should be revoking the press credentials of whatever imbecile asked that question immediately... Clearly a bitter Celtic fan who was raging the bears were successful again in Europe.

/Sarcasm

You tell them mate. We should be revoking the press credentials of whatever imbecile asked that question immediately... Clearly a bitter Celtic fan who was raging the bears were successful again in Europe.

/Sarcasm
The dude got an alternate log in?

Back