Greg Docherty eligible for Rep. Ireland

TheJuice

I remember this story a few months back when he was left out of the Scottish under 21 side, i presume nothing came of it?

Not intended as a dig at the boy for being willing to consider it before anyone thinks that!

As long as he wears our jersey then I don't care which international team he chooses to play for if selected to do so.
Me either mate but just asking out of interest if anything more came of it or if it was purely speculation at the time.

I remember this story a few months back when he was left out of the Scottish under 21 side, i presume nothing came of it?

Not intended as a dig at the boy for being willing to consider it before anyone thinks that!
I remember posting on that very thread.

He could play for a republican, anti-British, Rangers hating bunch of pricks who utterly despise him for what he is.

Or he could play for Ireland.....

Not really bothered that much with the Scotland team these days but if that prick gets the managers job I will be hoping they get beat every game hes there

Would be a crazy move and would lose supporters. Its not just us that hate him.

Imagine the meltdown if he was our Captain and Captained the Irish National team, there would be welders on call to make the fence on the Erskine. Bridge even higher.
Where would they move the goal posts then ?

we want our players playing at the highest level possible, if he picks ROI and this gets him to Europe championships or world cups then it's surely better for us?

As long as he wears our jersey then I don't care which international team he chooses to play for if selected to do so.
I agree.
But if Greg's career takes off and he becomes a Rangers stalwart and fan's favourite and decides to play for the ROI, it will probably mean I will watch their games willing Greg to do well.
I just won't feel right. :D

If the lad has any ambition at international level then playing for ireland is a better option at least they will qualify for tournaments and give the lad a chance to appear in world cups ect

If eventually it looks like he won't get a chance with getting into the Scotland team then I have no problem with anyone doing it. (I don't fully agree with the eligibility criteria. But the rules are there to be used and abused)

But players doing it before they have fully given the country of their birth or even their parents country a chance then I think it is very wrong.

Why would we care? We have had players from many different countries some of which have been our enemies in the past. If he chooses to play for RoI then that is his business and not ours. So long as he gives 100% for Rangers then that is all that matters to me.

Over 21 years since we last graced a major tournament. A “support” who will give you dogs abuse purely for the fact you play for Rangers... wouldn’t be my choice to play for them but wouldn’t hold it aginst the lad

Why would we care? We have had players from many different countries some of which have been our enemies in the past. If he chooses to play for RoI then that is his business and not ours. So long as he gives 100% for Rangers then that is all that matters to me.
it is all that matters, just asking what the latest was! However our players competing at international level is something that is in our interests.

So on the day of his potential debut, the burning question for the OP was whether he could still be eligible for Eire?

I don't think there was anything sinister about it! If GD was rumoured to be eligible for Canada or the USA or NI or Wales, I'm sure the post would have been the same, just insert other country.

If the lad has any ambition at international level then playing for ireland is a better option at least they will qualify for tournaments and give the lad a chance to appear in world cups ect
Just like McGeady and McCarthy

Couldn't give a monkey's if he's eligible to play for Lapland. International recognition will come, as long as he keeps working hard. I'd prefer it to be Scotland but it's his choice.

Back