Groundhopping

songsofglory

The only stadiums I missed while in the bottom tiers were:

Peterhead (holiday then weather was bad for 2nd game)
Arbroath (holiday then a wedding for 2nd game)
Annan (couldnt get a ticket for either game)

Ticked off Albion Rovers by going to a Albion Rovers v Airdrie new years game... was pretty decent.

Not done Cove and Edinburgh as they only appeared recently.

Determined to try and complete the 42 following Rangers with the exception of Albion Rovers as we will never play there (remember being at the matches when we played them at livingston and hamilton).

37/42 for me and I suspect it'll stay that way for a very long time.
I missed a few on the way up, but got the vast majority. Funnily enough two of the ones I'm missing are Livingston and Hamilton. Last couple of seasons I've not been able to attend away games for various reasons so missed Livi. I've had a ticket for three matches at Hamilton and never been able to make it. Going to Livingston for the cup so that will be one down.

Cove Rangers
Edinburgh City
Cowedenbeath

Are the other ones I've missed. I didn't make Peterhead with Rangers but my mate worked in Aberdeen and got us hospitality at a game v Ayr. I wrote about that game for a Groundhopping magazine.

Bazza1985

Just looking on the groundhopper app and I see they have introduced a new section which shows you which teams have the most supporters using the app (you choose you favourite team when setting up the app).

No surprise but great to see way more of our fans using it than theirs. App is hugely popular in Germany. Cant recommend it highly enough, especially for fans who follow home and away.

shanka

153 grounds visited mostly with Rangers and Newcastle 66/92 English league 37/42 Scottish league.17 old grounds in England,old and new Wembley,love street(st mirrens old ground)hampden park and Murrayfield.Been to a few European grounds had an Italian weekend in march took in the Milan derby,Torino v Bologna and a ground tour of Juventus ground

songsofglory

153 grounds visited mostly with Rangers and Newcastle 66/92 English league 37/42 Scottish league.17 old grounds in England,old and new Wembley,love street(st mirrens old ground)hampden park and Murrayfield.Been to a few European grounds had an Italian weekend in march took in the Milan derby,Torino v Bologna and a ground tour of Juventus ground
Should get the app mate sounds like you would like it. Just keeps track of how many you've done.

Stewards enquiry counting a ground tour though haha.

Wazza

Off to East Germany next weekend - Aue v Heidenheim and hopefully Jena v Rostock but might be at LOK Leipzig instead.

Have just booked to go to Napoli v Inter in the New Year, anyone been? Also does anyone have any knowledge of what they do regarding Serie D fixtures at all please? As it is Sunday Jan 5th and the weekend of Epiphany are they likely to all play that Sunday in Serie D? Cheers.

andy17x

I've only been to 18 senior grounds in Scotland
13 junior grounds and growing.
2 in England
2 in Germany
1 in Spain (2 if you include a tour)

LW1872

I've done 55 grounds across Scotland, England, Germany, Netherlands, Luxemburg, Austria, America and Spain. Didn't become a hobby as such until I moved over to Amsterdam. Done a fair amount across the top 3 flights in Holland. Apart from the obvious of Ajax and Feyenoord, I would recommend the following to visit in Holland.
Telstar - Rabobank Ijmond Stadion
FC Volendam - Kras Stadion
Ijsselmeervogels - Sportpark De Westmaat
Almere City - Yanmar Stadion
FC Den Bosch - De Vilert
You are guaranteed goals in the Dutch 2nd and 3rd tiers. Being able to have a few beers in the stands defiantly makes the experience more enjoyable also

LW1872

I've got a stagger in March,were going to dusseldorf and Dortmund games, was hoping for hamburg but the fixtures weren't as favourable.
Just done Dusseldorf's ground last weekend. Impressive inside but there was 10k empty seats. Doesn't look like a stadium from the outside, more like a big Ikea

Camby loyalist

I would find it hard as I really don't have any interest in football outside Rangers and I'm not trying to be staunch I can't concentrate on any games without them.

Wazza

I've done 55 grounds across Scotland, England, Germany, Netherlands, Luxemburg, Austria, America and Spain. Didn't become a hobby as such until I moved over to Amsterdam. Done a fair amount across the top 3 flights in Holland. Apart from the obvious of Ajax and Feyenoord, I would recommend the following to visit in Holland.
Telstar - Rabobank Ijmond Stadion
FC Volendam - Kras Stadion
Ijsselmeervogels - Sportpark De Westmaat
Almere City - Yanmar Stadion
FC Den Bosch - De Vilert
You are guaranteed goals in the Dutch 2nd and 3rd tiers. Being able to have a few beers in the stands defiantly makes the experience more enjoyable also
Was at Den Bosch v Njimegen last December and had a good night, was 3 2 and lively on the terraces - stood on M Side (seated but everyone stood nigh on). Could see going various matches being quite easy in Holland with it being so small etc... did you find the cost of trains quite dear though?

Wazza

Just done Dusseldorf's ground last weekend. Impressive inside but there was 10k empty seats. Doesn't look like a stadium from the outside, more like a big Ikea
There in December for Uerdigen v Hansa, be about 45,000 spare if not more.

LW1872

Was at Den Bosch v Njimegen last December and had a good night, was 3 2 and lively on the terraces - stood on M Side (seated but everyone stood nigh on). Could see going various matches being quite easy in Holland with it being so small etc... did you find the cost of trains quite dear though?
When I went to Den Bosch they were playing Telstar. 3-0 Den Bosch at half time, but finished 4-3 to Telstar. Telstar also hit the bar from the halfway line. Was some game!!

If you live here you get a card that uploads money from your bank account and you use it for all public transport, which gets you a slightly reduced rate. But yeah the trains can be a bit pricey. But I suppose you are paying for more regular and on time trains, compared to the sh*tshow that is Scotrail. Also the boys I go to most games with, 2 of them have cars, so sometimes we go by road.

Wazza

When I went to Den Bosch they were playing Telstar. 3-0 Den Bosch at half time, but finished 4-3 to Telstar. Telstar also hit the bar from the halfway line. Was some game!!

If you live here you get a card that uploads money from your bank account and you use it for all public transport, which gets you a slightly reduced rate. But yeah the trains can be a bit pricey. But I suppose you are paying for more regular and on time trains, compared to the sh*tshow that is Scotrail. Also the boys I go to most games with, 2 of them have cars, so sometimes we go by road.
I had a good night at Den Bosch, I was surprised to be honest - expected it to be pretty tame in the stands but it was a good laugh and lively with plenty of lads on the beer and pretty vocal.

Just asked about the Trains as have I found it dear, always seems to be a case of a return being double the cost of a single really and a price not very cheap.

Wazza

Logged stadiums visited on Football Ground Map site.

This is a interesting feature

BY THE COMPASS
Don't have that app but think I will have the same Easterly and Southerly Grounds.

Reactions: SSR

Wazza

Was surprised Inverness was my most Northern stadium :p
Just had a look on the map and my most southerly one will be Estudiantes, was at this match:

Wish I could afford a few weeks there again!

Reactions: SSR

SSR

Just had a look on the map and my most southerly one will be Estudiantes, was at this match:

Wish I could afford a few weeks there again!
We were over for Boca v River in May 2013 would love to go back!

Last edited:

speedo215

As some others have mentioned it’s great when you can take in a couple of games in the same day. My favourite was around 1996. Afternoon game was Tranmere 1 Bolton 0 and evening game was Everton 2 Newcastle 0. Think goal scorers were Nevin and Amokachi.

Keep an eye on the lowland league, they do groundhopper weekends once a season I'm sure with games on Friday night, Saturday and Sunday.