Guardian - lengthy article on Celtic Boys Club abuse

We stayed up Sighthill when this bastard was there I know someone who was abused became an alcoholic,my brother played for Celtic North in the 80s he said they changed the name to that to distance themselves for the abuse that had been going on don’t know how much truth is in that.

That’s harrowing and fkn disgusting in terms of a read, but it’s a massive headshot in terms of getting these shameless bastards backed into a corner in facing up to their mistakes and past and really leaves them nowhere to turn in admitting their culpability as an organisation for failing to safeguard these young boys.

As much as the Guardian has become almost a self-parody of a newspaper it carries a certain weight and gravitas for a certain trance of middle class society - UK wide and further given they are a huge presence in online news globally - who will be aghast at reading that. Can only hope it’s a prominent story on their home page

Last edited:
There were certainly rumours of child abuse circulating at the Boys Club after his return. In an editorial in Celtic FC’s official publication, The Celtic View, on 10 December 1986, the club raged against those who were saying there was sexual abuse going on within the youth side. The editorial claimed that the club had conducted its own investigation and interviewed those under suspicion, but “could find nothing to substantiate the stories that were being circulated”. It contained a warning to the press: “The boys club leaders who have been placed under a cloud as a result of these rumours” were ready to defend themselves in court, it read, “to make sure these scurrilous stories are buried once and for all”.

What a truly despicable, rotten institution they are.
"But, but, but the Boys' Club has nothing to do with us."

This will never be a problem for Celtic until they accept liability for the wrong doing. Very sad state of affairs. Sickening a heart wrenching read

The victims will get justice its because theirs so many cases and the cases are growing and it will take time. A grim read. Prey for the victims

Thats a really difficult read.

Can only hope all involved in this get justice that they deserve and those implicated in defending, deflecting and covering this up also get the heat they deserve from this shameful affair.

The clock is ticking for Celtic now. A trial is scheduled for next year.
Will be interesting to find out if Bob Kelly and Kevin Kelly are related. This scandal needs a public inquiry covering the creation of the boys club, abuse, who knew about abuse and when, covering up abuse, Torbett's business relationship with Celtic directors, and connections of convicted paedophiles operating within the Celtic boys club to other youth organizations in football and outside football.
Justice for the survivors.

Very tough read.

Absolute shameful tactics from Celtic FC to deny and deflect at all costs. I really do hope the victims get justice after suffering so much. From reading the stories you can tell that the abuse stays with the victims forever.

A damning indictment on that rancid club.

These lawyers are no mugs. They will "break down the defensive wall" and expose everything.

Two points however. You can bet that there will be hardly any coverage of the trial in the Scottish media even though it will be massive. And, when the club is found guilty, the plaintiffs' lives will be made even worse. Those scummy fans will target them wherever the are. They will probably need police protection.

Civil case next year will be go in a similar way as the football authorities one, too many with influence have to much to lose all while victims have to share every harrowing detail just to get a bloody trial - this in my mind could go against the case itself.

Heartbreaking to read that. It clearly goes further than just that mob. Links to horrors down south. Disgusting. Hope they get justice.

We stayed up Sighthill when this bastard was there I know someone who was abused became an alcoholic,my brother played for Celtic North in the 80s he said they changed the name to that to distance themselves for the abuse that had been going on don’t know how much truth is in that.

Celtic Boys Club changed their name to St Patrick's Sports Academy in August 2018 when this was all re-emerging again on the back of the Barry Bennell case.

Allegedly receiving a back hander for doing so.

The media cover up has been extremely disturbing, as has the seeming collusion between CFC and the SPFL to bury this.

Mistakes of the past can only be righted if they are confronted.
Part of me still believes that justice for the victims will be served. I am not sure which form that will take and can only hope that in some small way it alleviates the horrors those poor lads suffered.

The bigger part if me thinks this has been stage managed at a time where that club has enough support at every level to minimise the damage.

Press coverage at almost zero, political silence and backroom deals to include religious and sporting clubs being left out of inquiries. Refusal by senior politicians to even engage with families devasted by this.
A country where the judicial system appears rife with nepotistic apointments with a certain leaning to towards this club and the religion the vast majority of thei support follow. The drip, drip convictions of the abusers. Why have they never attempted to convict as a paedophile ring? Why has no attempt been made to link them to the serial abusers who have been photographed at that club, including Saville, O'Brien, etc. Also, the links with Bennell. Nothing.

It stinks. It always has. To see it being dragged out the way it is with reports being delayed time and time again at a time where we know that club has placemen in every level of the SFA and SPFL. It looks like they are hoping every abuser just dies and goes away before a concerted investigation can take place.

Sorry for being so negative but I just think they are far more in control of the pace of this than they should be.

Oviously, I hope I am wrong.

IMO those who knew what was occurring and did nothing are as guilty as the actual perpetrators.

It was the same with Saville and those who knew about ‘Jimmy’s little ways’.

If I came across something like this I couldn’t leave it alone. I’d just have to try and do something about it.

The Scottish football authorities and Scottish government should hang their heads in shame.

the second there was any internal investigations or when they were taken to court the authorities should've handed out a transfer ban. It's a complete slap in the face that Celtic can continue spending millions on players with £10K+ a week when they have been taken to court with another court case to follow.

I suppose the SFA/SPFL will be just as aware as the referee's what's at stake this year. Pricks.

It must be heartbreaking for the people who have had there lives destroyed by this abuse. The likelihood is that the article will just be ignored in Scotland. I'll be pleasantly surprised if anyone else references it.
And that in itself is as big a stain on our country.

Those last words by Andy Gray are tough to read. I wish Woods all the best, brave brave man.

And any scummy Tim that ever mentions anything about "point scoring" then if it wasn't for it being spoken about half those bastards would still be walking the streets. If point scoring is what it takes to get justice for those boys, then so fucking be it.

It must be heartbreaking for the people who have had there lives destroyed by this abuse. The likelihood is that the article will just be ignored in Scotland. I'll be pleasantly surprised if anyone else references it.
And that in itself is as big a stain on our country.

It’s up to every bear to try & get the message out there as much as possible Will.

Other things are being worked on in the background, as well as Adrian Goldberg’s work too.

The most heartbreaking part of that article was Mr Woods Father had sent his lads letter to Celtic but did not appear to get to stein.

in other words it was intercepted and shown to Torbett. That is unforgivable!

Absolutely vile and disgusting, I hope those poor people and families get the justice they rightly deserve.

Absolutely harrowing and heartbreaking story. I played junior football for years and I am so fortunate that anything like this never happened to me. It's impossible to imagine what these poor souls have had to live with. They have been so brave in coming forward and telling their story, but how many others are still living with this nightmare and can't face talking about it? I just hope the bravery of Gordon, David and the Woods family give them the strength and encouragement to come forward and tell their story so that justice can be done.

Back