Guti

Always thought he would be much better suited for the game today as wide inverted 10. Such a great player..

Loved him as a kid. The prototypical Iberian lazy bastard who mostly couldn't be bothered but was in a league of his own when on it. He was Real Madrid's answer to Brandon Barker in that he was supposedly the guy who impressed most in training.

Not sure where he would fit in in the modern game. There are a lot of similarities between him and Ozil.

Seems odd that he played with CR7, Benzema and Kaka. Always associate him with the Real Madrid era before that.

Loved him as a kid. The prototypical Iberian lazy bastard who mostly couldn't be bothered but was in a league of his own when on it. He was Real Madrid's answer to Brandon Barker in that he was supposedly the guy who impressed most in training.

Not sure where he would fit in in the modern game. There are a lot of similarities between him and Ozil.

Seems odd that he played with CR7, Benzema and Kaka. Always associate him with the Real Madrid era before that.
The absolute peak of football that era.

I'd put Recoba and Cassano in that bracket.

First comparison that came to mind for me as well.

Outrageously talented. You don't play over 500 games for Real Madrid if you aren't a good player.

Only 13 caps for Spain in a period where they struggled for consistency. It's almost criminal that they never got the best out of a generation that produced him, Raul, Valeron, Exteberria, Morientes, Mendieta and Ivan de la Pena.

We were spoiled for football in the early 2000s. So many good players even beyond the top 2 or 3 teams in each league.
yes bro. And european football was still mysterious. No identikit strips, unique stadiums, tactics etc

If you were played a game on TV in black and white from the 90's you could recognise the team, individual players, nowadays everyone plays and looks the same.

There's assists and then there's Guti assists - guy made it an art form

Plus he's sound guy and had more burds than I've had hot dinners. Legend

Last edited:
Always thought Solari and Guti were really underrated for their time.
Guti was a genius

players, nowadays everyone plays and looks the same.

That’s also describing the death of the Brazilian national team.

You would have stopped everything to watch them in the 90s. Pure excitement from the warmup onwards.

Now, just another side. Even the last tournament, aside from watching Richarlison have a little purple patch, they didn’t really contribute much to the tournament.

It's funny because I thought he was absolutely unreal at times, a genuine outrageous talent won what he won, yet I still feel he slightly underachieved.

He was Real Madrid's answer to Brandon Barker
bug-eyed-glare.gif

It's funny because I thought he was absolutely unreal at times, a genuine outrageous talent won what he won, yet I still feel he slightly underachieved.

Described as "The Eternal Promise" by Luis Aragones. As I say, the Madrid equivalent of Brandon Barker.

wow...just, er, wow.

Wonderful footballer. Another one is Ruben De La Red who'd have been a world beater if not for his sad heart condition causing his collapse on the pitch. Never the same since.

A wild take for a Thursday evening, friend.

Back