GVB 4 wins

I’d rather be realistic than delusional mate. We’re still scraping wins and going through the motions like under the dying days of Gerrard, although some individual performances have improved.

We only have time to tell us if we will keep going or stagnate.
Pish, pish and more pish.

I’d rather be realistic than delusional mate. We’re still scraping wins and going through the motions like under the dying days of Gerrard, although some individual performances have improved.

We scraped a win at Easter Road last season. I will take that every day of the week.

Stop talking pish.

We scraped a win at Easter Road last season. I will take that every day of the week.
I think they said on the commentary of that game after winning the match that we had won our last 5 league games against hibs by a single goal. Always a difficult game for us.

Edit: 3 of those 5 were at Ibrox as well I think. Regardless of whether home or away, they’ve been a tough nut for us to crack. Excellent result for Gio.

I think they said on the commentary of that game after winning the match that we had won our last 5 league games against hibs by a single goal. Always a difficult game for us.
Absolutely. No idea what some were expecting. Not great form, relatively new manager, a win of any kind was massive.

GVB has been the breath of fresh air that this squad badly needed. I was disappointed with how it ended with Gerrard but let's not kid ourselves on - something wasn't right this season.

I'm not convinced we'd have got maximum points from those 4 games if we carried on how we were.

Couldn't have asked much more, couldn't have managed it any better thus far.

utter efficiency which is about what I expect from a Rangers team at this time of the year.

points, just collect points for the time being.

Players deserve praise as well, I had concerns about them leaving Hampden, thought some would be ready to phone it in given Gerrards departure, but very little sign of that

Alright, I went back and checked. Bill Struth took over as Manager in the Summer of 1920, after the tragic death of William Wilton. He started the campaign for season 1920/21 with the following results - representing 8 wins in a row, ended by a draw at Aberdeen. That is the current record for consecutive wins for a Rangers Manager following their appointment. As mentioned above, Davie White managed 9 League wins on the trot after his appointment - but there was a loss Away to Cologne in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup in amongst that run, so not really 9 on the spin:

Rangers 4 Airdrie 1
Rangers 2 Motherwell 1
Rangers 2 Aberdeen 1
Kilmarnock 1 Rangers 2
Motherwell 0 Rangers 2
Rangers 2 Albion Rovers 1
Rangers 2 Morton 0
Hearts 0 Rangers 4
Aberdeen 1 Rangers 1

We followed that with another 12 wins on the bounce by the way.
Ah, but CooperBlu11’s grandad was posting on FF at the time reminding everyone we’d scraped wins against Motherwell, the sheep and Kilmarnock in that run.

Sorry VB, but I make it 5 straight wins at the start for Davie White.

before we lost 1-3 in the return game v Cologne.

If you are going on League Games only
White started incredibly well and went on to WIN 19 of his first 20 League Games in charge,
amassing a staggering 39 out of a possible 40 points.
The only 'blemish' being a 2-2 draw at the Piggery on Jan 2nd,
which happened to be our THIRD game in only FOUR days.

If you are going on Domestic Games only, the 0-1 loss to Hearts in the Scottish Cup (replay), was the only defeat White suffered in his first 30 Domestic games in charge, and that defeat came after we were forced to play 4 games in 8 days

Prior to that defeat v Aberdeen on the last day of the season,
White had gone 25 League games undefeated.
This, added to Scot Symon's last 12 League games in charge (undefeated) actually saw Rangers set a new Scottish record of 37 consecutive League Games undefeated.

The 61 points collected in that 67-68 season would have won the Championship in 11 of the previous 12 seasons
This was in fact the highest percentage of points won by any Rangers side since Bill Struth's first season, back in 1920-21.
I made a pretty basic mistake in counting the Away game with Cologne as his first defeat - but omitting the earlier Home game in his run of wins. Oops! So yeah, 5 rather than 4. The rest of that season for him saw a great run but, sadly, not ‘great’ enough.

Still leaves Struth out in front with 8. And, of course, GvB needing a win in Lyon to match White.:)

I made a pretty basic mistake in counting the Away game with Cologne as his first defeat - but omitting the earlier Home game in his run of wins. Oops! So yeah, 5 rather than 4. The rest of that season for him saw a great run but, sadly, not ‘great’ enough.

Still leaves Struth out in front with 8. And, of course, GvB needing a win in Lyon to match White.:)
Something that I think gets overlooked in that impressive 67-68 Campaign.
Following the 2-2 draw at the Piggery on Jan 2nd, we were Top of the League by 2 points, both of us having played 18 Games, with 16 League games to go.
Celtic went on to win ALL 16 of those games.
They were already out of Europe, at the first round back in October, and were eliminated in the Scottish Cup first round by Dunfermline, so they had only 17 Games to play till the season's end.
With us still in Europe and the Scottish Cup, we had 23 Games to play till the season's end.
Forcing us to play 4 games in week (2 League, and 2 Scottish Cup ties) in March, and then those two epic games v Leeds Utd.
I'm pretty sure those extra 6 games we had to play, eventually took it's toll on us, that saw us drop those 4 crucial points in April.

Back