Hagi's contract?

Portadown_Bear

Yes until we offer the player a contract, if he doesn't want to come to us they can obviously sell him to another team.
If thats what we have then the contract is for the first option to buy and not, as reported, an exclusive option to buy contract.

Boab4

If thats what we have then the contract is for the first option to buy and not, as reported, an exclusive option to buy contract.
The way you are putting it across would be illegal, you can't force a player to sign for a specific club.

RR83

I imagine it will be agreed fee that gives us exclusivity to complete the transfer until say 20th July as I assume Genk will still want time to flog him in the window if we don’t or can’t take up the option.

After that then other clubs are free to offer what they want.

Portadown_Bear

The way you are putting it across would be illegal, you can't force a player to sign for a specific club.
I know that.

You can reach an agreement with another club though that they will only sell a certain player to us for the remainder of that players contract. The player then has the choice to either see out the contract he has already signed with Genk, move to Rangers or reach a financial settlement with Rangers which buys out the option.

Boab4

I know that.

You can reach an agreement with another club though that they will only sell a certain player to us for the remainder of that players contract. The player then has the choice to either see out the contract he has already signed with Genk, move to Rangers or reach a financial settlement with Rangers which buys out the option.
We will have to agree to disagree on this.

Might work in property deals or something but not with people.

Mjolnir

I think his price tag is only going to go one direction for the foreseeable future.
5M EUR can jump to 10/15M EUR over the the next couple of windows easy, so if he wants to stay and we pay the fee, he can move on again in a couple of seasons for megabucks.

bear wi nae hair

If our option to buy is binding, I was under the impression that that option would have to be bought out of for him to go elsewhere.
Im not clued you on these things but I assumed that too or else there’s not a great deal of value in the guarantee.

I’d hope/expect that in the scenarios above where EPLmoney talks they’d essentially have to pay us some form of compensation, as well as Genks £5m

mcbeath1872

This young man has the talent to play in the EPL, Bundesliga, or La Liga at a later point in his career.

I'd like him to be at Rangers for a good while before that though.

CaptainCourageous

Interesting comments RE: league being our bread and butter but that's for another thread.

If we are going to pay €5m (£4.26m) for Ianis Hagi then I suggest there is a tweak to our system domestically. Seeing him taking up positions wide right and not being able to influence the game as much as in a more central attacking area is frustrating to watch.

Even in that role he's still finding that bit of quality whether it's a pass, assist or goal. Quality we were missing previously.