Happy 67th Birthday to former Rangers captain John McClelland

I have vague memories of him getting a torrid time from the East Enclosure during the Dukla Prague game 1981 as he didn't seem to be any good.
Must admit however I grew to like him as a player and was sorry to see him go.Not really a good period for us when he was there right enough.
Was that the night he was playing leftback?
I have a vague recollection of him breaking his ankle in a Euro game .
Always like big John shame he played during that era.

Yes, what a game .
I was in the enclosure , possibly west that night, usually east.
Inter had some team, Italy had won the world cup only 2 years previously.
Liam Brady got dogs abuse, Karl Heinz Rummenige was built like a tank.
Likely Jock Wallace s best result in his second spell imo
Totally agree mate ,it was was just a right old fashioned in round about them type of game and for a spell I though we were going to do it ,west enclosure also for me that night ,I think there was around 30 thousand there which was a good crowd in them days.
As for Brady yip gave him abuse but he was a player tbf,and big rummenige was a machine ,our players just bounced off him .

Was at the game versus Inter Milan. As I recall, McLeliand was playing a wing back role against the likes of Karl Heinz Rummenige and Liam Brady. Feeding balls to Ian Ferguson in the box.

Was a big favourite of mine, i bought the Northern Ireland top after the 82 WC and had his name on the back. He was player of the year at our supporters club around that time and there was one of those professional photographers there who charged a fortune, i was proud as punch to meet him and get my photo with him. I was a youngster and whatever the guy charged cleaned me out on the night, that photo was never delivered and i was gutted for a long time after.

Fu(k this makes me feel old. I really liked him when I was a kid. He was a quality centre half. Can’t believe he is that old.

Time passes way too quickly.

He was axed as captain for the cup final and refused to lift the cup on the podium mate.
Sorry, my error, he had been stripped of the captaincy and dropped from the team because of a pay rise dispute. He was only brought back in because of injuries for the final.

He was well respected by the support and was a decent player and captain but after his wage demands were declined by the club he chose to snub us and has rarely had a good word to say about his time at the club.
Perhaps he was pissed at his employers for undervaluing his services thereby forcing him into a move that he didn’t wish to make.

Back