Happy 76th birthday to Jim Forrest

One of the immortals of our club.

My dad and uncle used to talk about him often - loved listening to their stories about players and matches before my time.

Happy Birthday Mr Forrest.

Happy Birthday Jim.
Before my time (just) his scoring record was amazing, shame we came up against Jock Wallace in goal or history would have been so so different in many ways.

Who knows but it wasn't just leaving out Willoughby, as bad as that was he wasn't even in the 16 player squad but we had a player in the squad who was completely ignored for the starting 11 or 12th man who had a great scoring record over the years and who scored the goal in the semi final first leg v Slavia Sofia for a 1-0 win, Davie Wilson. Incidentally it was Willoughby who set up Wilson for the goal. For all the success Symon brought as manager I found him to be a weak manager as regards looking after his players, made some great signings but he should have stood up for his players at critical times
Apparently I cried when I heard SS was sacked, so my older bro tells me. I was 11.

All ifs and buts, but the history of our club could have been even more glorious, the Berwick game was an anomaly it was embarrassing but the club threw the baby out with the bath water, it wasn't as if both players had been trouble makers or even playing poorly, big Jock had the game of several lifetimes and the ball wouldn't go in the net that day, it happens, terrible decisions were made in the aftermath which should never have been made, we were favourites to beat Bayern in that final and probably would have, anyway happy birthday Jim.

Belated Birthday wishes to Jim,my hero,when i was a kid.
The irony of Scot Symon not defending his players is,that,the following season,Symon,himself,suffered the ignomy of becoming the first Rangers manager to be sacked,while,at the time,sitting at the top of the league.

Happy Birthday Mr. Forrest and many happy returns, a goalscoring legend at Ibrox and a true blue Gentleman to boot.
One of the greatest ‘what might have beens’ in our history. Had Forrest and McLean not been tossed aside after Berwick we may have had our name on the Cup Winners Cup 5 years before Barcelona and the sty dwellers might never have made niar in that era. Ludicrous decision by the Club.

I can almost hear my old man uttering the very same words as you, Ronnie. He never forgave Scot Symon for that decision.

Happy Birthday Mr. Forrest

Back