Happy Birthday to one of our Barcelona Bears

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Born on this day in1943 in Cardenden, Willie Mathieson was never seen as a great Rangers player.
He was "wan fitted". He was in and out the team for years. He was never flashy or stood out.

But Willie Mathieson is one of only 11 players to win a European final when wearing the famous jersey.

He only won 2 medals, the 1972 Cup Winners Cup then the 1973 Scottish Cup.
He made his debut v Hamilton in the 1965 Scottish Cup aged 21 and played his last game in the 1974 League Cup. In between he wasn't selected as often as he was, playing 281 times for the club he loved. He only scored 3 goals.

But in the illustrious history of Rangers, he is immortal. He is, and always will be,a Barcelona Bear.

Happy 76th Birthday sir.

Born on this day in1943 in Cardenden, Willie Mathieson was never seen as a great Rangers player.
He was "wan fitted". He was in and out the team for years. He was never flashy or stood out.

But Willie Mathieson is one of only 11 players to win a European final when wearing the famous jersey.

He made his debut v Hamilton in the 1965 Scottish Cup aged 21 and played his last game in the 1974 League Cup. In between he wasn't selected as often as he was, playing 281 times for the club he loved. He only scored 3 goals.

But in the illustrious history of Rangers, he is immortal. He is, and always will be,a Barcelona Bear.

Happy 76th Birthday sir.

Everyone of the Barca bears are legends only ones ever to give us a European trophy and Willie was one of them
Happy birthday sir

The first time I saw Willie was in a reserve game at Celtic Park in 1965. Wee Jimmy Johnstone was playing outside right for Celtic and he buzzed around as Jimmy always did. But Willie was every bit as quick and Jimmy got little change from him. A great Ranger.

I remember seeing him score a fine goal against Dundee at Ibrox in a midweek game back in 1967. It prompted a chorus of, "You can stick your Tommy Gemmel up your arse" from the Bears which was directed at a Mr John Stein who was sat in our main stand. Mr Stein left at half time that evening. Happy birthday Willie.

Dave Smith & Willie Mathieson playing dominoes just a few days before the Barcelona final.

122esmc.jpg

Anyone recognise the third player?

Happy 76th Birthday sir.

Great post as always mate.

As my dad would say.... Happy birthday Wullie wan fit!!!

Happy birthday Wullie wan fit.

Never a favourite, steady and saw off a few challengers. An bit of an earlier Stuart Munro.

Willie wan fit. That takes me back. I have always revered players like Willie Mathieson, Stuart Munro and, dare I say, Andy Halliday. The solid foundations on which great teams are built and Willie Mathieson was very much one of the solid building blocks on which our ECWC triumph was based.
A very Happy Birthday Wullie and the health to enjoy many more of them sir.

And OP; an excellent piece of work. Absolutely splendid, many thanks for sharing it with us.

Report from the game he scored his 1st goal for us

In fourteen minutes, left-back Willie Mathieson became the new hero of Ibrox. He found the ball
in his own half, passed to Alex Willoughby, got a snappy return, ran on and on, beating two opponents and crowned a glorious effort with a swift vicious shot that gave the keeper no chance.’

‘With twenty minutes gone the happy fans were in full voice, Derry’s walls were never stronger, The Sash was never brighter ..

Report from the game he scored his 1st goal for us

In fourteen minutes, left-back Willie Mathieson became the new hero of Ibrox. He found the ball
in his own half, passed to Alex Willoughby, got a snappy return, ran on and on, beating two opponents and crowned a glorious effort with a swift vicious shot that gave the keeper no chance.’

‘With twenty minutes gone the happy fans were in full voice, Derry’s walls were never stronger, The Sash was never brighter ..

Imagine the outcry if that was penned today?

Brilliant, all that's missing is a No Surrender.

Happy Birthday Willie

Season 72-73 was imo his best season for Rangers. He was hugely consistent all season culminating in him having a great game in the Centenary Cup Final when we beat Celtc 3-2 in probably the greatest cup final I have attended.
Willie played in every game that season, a total of 51 games. League, where we ran Celtc to a point on the last day of the season, League Cup and Scottish Cup. An admirable feat when the game was a damn sight more physical than it is now.

Enjoy your day.

Back