Harry Gregg has died

I
The Man U keeper who survived the Munich disaster
I am sure theres a photo of him in the changing room shortly after the disaster having played a game and his eyes are empty. Pulled injured people from the wreckage.
RIP
remember that picture.

“Gregg escaped from the burning wreckage but went back in and brought Vera Lukic, the pregnant wife of a Yugoslav diplomat, and her young daughter, Vesna, to safety. He returned to the plane and dragged out injured United pair Bobby Charlton and Dennis Viollet, and came to the aid of manager Matt Busby and fellow Northern Ireland international Jackie Blanchflower.”

Sometimes the words “legend” and “hero” are bandied around much too freely. In this case, they’re inadequate.

Rest in Peace, Mr Gregg.

There are many players who are given legendary status for skill on the pitch alone. He had that, but the bravery and both physical and mental strength he showed to overcome a tragedy like that showed the character of a true legend on and off the pitch.

I’m proud to say he was from Our Wee Country.

Sad news indeed.As a young boy in Manchester,he was my hero and the reason to go to Old Trafford every fortnight to watch him in goal.A giant of a man and a decent human being too. Sadly missed.

A legend, a hero and an absolute gentleman.
A sad sad loss to the football world and to Northern Ireland

A word that is used too readily these days is legend. That word applied to Harry Gregg. A hero to those of us in N Ireland and further afield both off and on the park and in whose company I was fortunate to be on many occasions. Fantastic stories about his time in the game and a man who never ever forgot where he cane from. Was speaking to him just after Christmas and little did I realise a few weeks later he would no longer be here. Thoughts and prayers with son John and the family circle at this time.

Remarkable man.

He looked and sounded like the epitome of the unassuming hero that he undoubtedly was in life.

“Gregg escaped from the burning wreckage but went back in and brought Vera Lukic, the pregnant wife of a Yugoslav diplomat, and her young daughter, Vesna, to safety. He returned to the plane and dragged out injured United pair Bobby Charlton and Dennis Viollet, and came to the aid of manager Matt Busby and fellow Northern Ireland international Jackie Blanchflower.”

Sometimes the words “legend” and “hero” are bandied around much too freely. In this case, they’re inadequate.

Rest in Peace, Mr Gregg.
Not sure if this is an urban myth, but i remember hearing somewhere that Vera Lukic was pregnant with John who was the ex Leeds UTD and Arsenal keeper. RIP Harry

Rip to real life hero. Remember Bobby Charlton saying in one of the documentaries that the real hero of Munich was Harry Gregg

Harry Gregg RIP. A legend and not just on the football pitch. He returned to the crashed aircraft in the Munich Disaster and saved lives by pulling others out despite his own injuries. He was very modest and humble about the part that he played in saving lives then . A very brave man and will always be one of Northern Ireland's True Sons.

Not sure if this is an urban myth, but i remember hearing somewhere that Vera Lukic was pregnant with John who was the ex Leeds UTD and Arsenal keeper. RIP Harry
I doubt it. John was born in 1960.

H was a proper legend. Rest easy.

FBS

Just echoing what's already been posted above.

A truly heroic & humble human being, who wouldn't let that tragedy define him (despite it haunting him all his days).

Sad news.

Rest in Peace, Mr Gregg.

Rest in Peace Mr Gregg, when interviewed he always came across as a humble gentleman, but with the true grit of his Ulster roots shining through.

Met him a few times over the years.

Last time was Oct. 2017.and even then as an old man I can say sincerely that everyone knew they were in the presence of a great man.
In fact there was a group of German journalists in the company and they were in absolute awe of the msn.

He has always been a true hero for me.

RIP Big Man

Just showed Nat Lofthouse goal against him in The FA Cup Final just after it.. on the news there Offttt assault!!
Changed days.

Back