Has our European results won us the League this year?

Boab

Official Ticketer
I don't start many threads but after reading all the buzz after last night one thing has struck me (and probably mentioned before), since Gerrard came in we have seen small improvements and milestones in the league. The Cups have been a disaster for various reasons, I really doubt any other manager would have lasted after 2 years looking back at the Key goals that would have been set out at the start of each season.
However Gerrard's European record has been phenomenal and this for me has been the key indicator of improvement and in my opinion the reason the board has kept faith and stuck by him. How happy am I with our board for recognising this and ignoring any noise from the outside as we now reap the reward and continue to improve and impress on the European stage B-)

Interested in what other bears think about this?

I know it's not technically won yet but it's going to happen B-)

We've improved a lot domestically each season too. Despite disappointing cup results each season previously the improvements in the squad, results and form in the league are unquestionable and, I think , were enough to prove the project was working. The European results cement that and the money has been most welcome too.

We've improved a lot domestically each season too. Despite disappointing cup results each season previously the improvements in the squad, results and form in the league are unquestionable and, I think , were enough to prove the project was working. The European results cement that and the money has been most welcome too.
Gerrard will care much more about Europe than the Cups I think. He knows that's where he can showcase his abilities to potential suitors down south, mainly Liverpool of course. As much as we are the most successful team in this country winning Scottish Cups and League Cups won't impress Liverpool as much as our European runs.

Domestic progress has been slower, but this is probably the most consistently successful Scottish team in Europe since the 60's. Eventually that mentality was always going to crossover into our domestic performances.

The successful European runs have generated funds to improve the squad every season. Success breeds success, long may it continue

Gerrard will care much more about Europe than the Cups I think. He knows that's where he can showcase his abilities to potential suitors down south, mainly Liverpool of course. As much as we are the most successful team in this country winning Scottish Cups and League Cups won't impress Liverpool as much as our European runs.
He also said recently that the club doesn't function as we want it to without the revenue from Europe so it's in everyone's interests for us to do well in it.

the only way we improve is by playing better teams, we ain't getting that in scotland, imo european success is absolutely vital, and no just for the dough in it, but also to get the team to a higher standard of playing

I have had countless arguments with friends and european performances and results has featured high in my defence. They were of the mindset that two years without a trophy for rangers is a sacking no matter what.

I was of the opinion they should be looking bigger picture including europe and trusting their own eyes for clear signs of progress. I think European results and financial benefits definitely helped him and I also think Covid perversely helped him last year as we were in a tailspin and the board had a decision to make imo.

Back