Have 2 bookings always equalled a red?

gers1978

I'm 42 and I seem to think I have a vague memory of this change coming in, but I'm doubting myself and thinking it's a false memory and this has always been the case?

I'm 42 and I seem to think I have a vague memory of this change coming in, but I'm doubting myself and thinking it's a false memory and this has always been the case?
I think you're correct about a rule change in the early 90s but I honestly can't remember what the old rule was. I'm (only) 35 so hopefully an older bear can help

Have always assumed it has.

However, if you are John Hughes back in 1969 and already on a caution and assault a Rangers player, Willie Johnston, then you can get away with it.

Always been the case, with two exceptions. Brian Irvine in the game we won the league in 87 and Graham Poll giving three reds to the same player in a World Cup game.

I think two bookings have always equalled a red. However, the rule change in the 90s was that the ref showed a second yellow card and then a red. Prior to that, the ref just showed a red card so there was no way to tell at the time whether the second offence was a further booking or a straight red.
That's the memory I have!

What did you think happened if two bookings wasn't a red?

Cards came in for the 1970 World Cup.

Think it was to do with some confusion over an England player being cautioned during their game with Argentina in the 1966 tournament. The game was a bit of a battle and Alf Ramsey asked for clarification as to which players had actually been cautioned. FIFA introduced the cards to take away any confusion.

Unless you're Graham Poll of course.

I know this isn't what the OP asked, but I have a memory of Barry Ferguson getting booked 3 times whilst at Blackburn?

I also have a memory of a Dundee United player being sent off for his first foul (after being subbed on), not a serious one just a standard middle of the park foul, as the referee had told another black player his next foul and he was off.

Edit :- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dundee_utd/8643271.stm
And a shocker it was against Celtic, not long before Lennon's first "thur pyoor against is"

Wasn't it three yellow cards he gave the Croat?
Sorry, my error, of course it was three yellows. Which correcting, doesn't actually make it much better. Two reds is probably quite common. One for the assault one for being a dick and not getting off the park. Maybe a third for knowing who Alfredo is.

Have always assumed it has.

However, if you are John Hughes back in 1969 and already on a caution and assault a Rangers player, Willie Johnston, then you can get away with it.

Callaghan did not book Hughes twice. The issue concerned was that he deliberately did not book him a second time when he clearly should have. He had earlier given Hughes a verbal warning for his first bad foul, but no official caution (i.e. a yellow card). After Hughes committed his second bad foul he was given an official caution. When later on in the game Hughes committed a third bad foul, Callaghan called him over. Everyone assumed it was for a second official caution with Hughes going off. To our amazement Callaghan decided to issue a further verbal warning instead (which was contrary to the rules). We ended up losing the game due to a bad goalkeeping error but we raised the matter of Callaghan's actions with the SFA and they ended up suspending him for it.

Surely security would be on the pitch after the second B-D
Didn't Dean Windass get three reds in a match for the sheep? Seem to recall he got a red for something, then another for mouthing off to the ref, and a third for pulling the corner flag out of the ground on his way off?

I know this isn't what the OP asked, but I have a memory of Barry Ferguson getting booked 3 times whilst at Blackburn?

I also have a memory of a Dundee United player being sent off for his first foul (after being subbed on), not a serious one just a standard middle of the park foul, as the referee had told another black player his next foul and he was off.

Edit :- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dundee_utd/8643271.stm
And a shocker it was against Celtic, not long before Lennon's first "thur pyoor against is"

Oh dear, poor refereeing. I can remember John Beresford being shown a red for Newcastle because he and Warren Barton had the same shitty 90s curtain hairdo. Luckily that was sorted.

Callaghan did not book Hughes twice. The issue concerned was that he deliberately did not book him a second time when he clearly should have. He had earlier given Hughes a verbal warning for his first bad foul, but no official caution (i.e. a yellow card). After Hughes committed his second bad foul he was given an official caution. When later on in the game Hughes committed a third bad foul, Callaghan called him over. Everyone assumed it was for a second official caution with Hughes going off. To our amazement Callaghan decided to issue a further verbal warning instead (which was contrary to the rules). We ended up losing the game due to a bad goalkeeping error but we raised the matter of Callaghan's actions with the SFA and they ended up suspending him for it.
I never said he did JB. I said he refused to caution him the second time for a blatant assault.

Ontheline, told me that it was a previous appeal by Hibs against Callaghan for his refereeing that caused the suspension, not ours. Which is worrying.

Of course when you know who was the President of the SFA at the time, then we know nothing has really changed.

Cards came in for the 1970 World Cup.

Think it was to do with some confusion over an England player being cautioned during their game with Argentina in the 1966 tournament. The game was a bit of a battle and Alf Ramsey asked for clarification as to which players had actually been cautioned. FIFA introduced the cards to take away any confusion.

Unless you're Graham Poll of course.
I think it was the Argentine captain Rattin(sp?) He was sent off and just simply stayed on the park. This is what sparked it. No hablo ingles, ok popeye, a Red card. No ambiguity.

May be imagining this but did the EPL not have a season where they did not actually show yellow cards?

Players got booked but a card was not shown?

They were obviously made aware they had been booked.

Back