Havertz goal last night where there was a foul in the build up

WinkieWATP

Apparently it was too far back for VAR to overturn the goal and award Chelsea the foul according to the officials. The ball was in the back of the net after two passes. When you compare it to Dessers goal disallowed in the recent Old Firm game it’s another decision that leaves you scratching your head as to wether or not refs up here just make it up as they go along.

Apparently it was too far back for VAR to overturn the goal and award Chelsea the foul according to the official le. The ball was in the back of the net after two passes. When you compare it to Dessers goal disallowed in the recent Old Firm game it’s another decision that leaves you scratching your head as to wether or not refs up here just make it up as they go along.
Rangers are Refereed to a different standard in Scotland. Simple as that.

They manipulate the rules to suit whatever agenda is at play up here.
Applied if and when it suits, disregarded when it doesn't.

The Dessers goal should have stood imo, they used VAR in that instance to re-referee the game because it would deny us a goal and stop the shettleston war machine being put in to action.

Apparently it was too far back for VAR to overturn the goal and award Chelsea the foul according to the officials. The ball was in the back of the net after two passes. When you compare it to Dessers goal disallowed in the recent Old Firm game it’s another decision that leaves you scratching your head as to wether or not refs up here just make it up as they go along.
Where did you see that the officials reportedly said they couldn't go back that far? Because my understanding was they checked the foul and decided not to investigate it further, which was mad.

The first thing you have to do is accept that Scottish refs love to help and assist Celtic as much as possible... then it becomes easier to understand how or why they arrive at each decision with VAR and also on the pitch.

Same thing happens at the piggery, tims attacking no doubt it is going to be a goal.

That’s not the case at all. Refs here will do everything they possibly can to not award a goal against Celtic in an old firm game.
It is a simple as that.

Where did you see that the officials reportedly said they couldn't go back that far? Because my understanding was they checked the foul and decided not to investigate it further, which was mad.
The Geordie lass that hosted the show said it post game

What I don’t like is that you can have a situation like on Sunday where hearts get a corner after a player is blatantly offside. If they score from that corner the goal would have been given. Var is riddled with inconsistencies like that
this is a ridiculous situation that had me screaming at the TV

Exactly what I was thinking last night when watching it, even back to the first old firm at Ibrox 3
or 4 plays before the goal yet they just keep going back to find something!!

Wasn't there a German game where a team scored but then VAR pulled it back to the other end of the pitch and awarded a penalty to the other side?

Something like that anyway.
There was a game that had finished, but they had to come back out for a penalty after a VAR check. I can’t remember who it was, but I’m sure a fellow FFer will know.

Last edited:
Wasn't there a German game where a team scored but then VAR pulled it back to the other end of the pitch and awarded a penalty to the other side?

Something like that anyway.
Happened in AFCoN semi final earlier in the year I’m sure

Although, that’s a slightly different situation as the potential penalty would be checked regardless of how long before the goal it occurred - we’ve seen them go back 2/3 minutes to penalties if the ball hasn’t gone out of play

A foul in the app is a bit different in that sense

There was a game that had finished, but they had to come back out for a penalty after a VAR check. I can remember who it was, but I’m sure a fellow FFer will know.
Man Utd got a penalty after the ref blew the fulltime whistle. Against Brighton last season possibly?

• Love
Reactions: TQ3
Absolutely a foul
The foul is not disputed.
It is the fact that in the Arsenal v Chelsea game a foul occurred but was deemed irrelevant as it was 4/5 passes later the goal was scored.
In addition my understanding of the rule also stipulates that where the defence can reorganise somewhat then the goal should be awarded.

Contrast with the Dessers goal and it was even clearer the defence had a chance to organise yet in identical instances the goal was chalked off.

The concern with good reason in OF games over the last couple of seasons we have had goals chalked off where without question the benefit of the doubt has always gone to Celtic FC and none to Rangers even at Ibrox with a partisan crowd.
For example Dessers incidents In both OF games at Ibrox this season.
Last season Morelos goal at the piggery.
That’s without Collum on VAR doing his job properly at Parkhead.

Are you aware of any major goal defining incidents that have gone against Celtic FC in any OF game over the last few years.?

Do you believe in coincidence that much.

Made the exact same comparison last night.

What I don’t like is that you can have a situation like on Sunday where hearts get a corner after a player is blatantly offside. If they score from that corner the goal would have been given. Var is riddled with inconsistencies like that
Agree. Even looking at the handball situation from the scum sheep game. Why when they look and decide it’s no penalty do Aberdeen not get the freekick on that situation?

It is the fact that in the Arsenal v Chelsea game a foul occurred but was deemed irrelevant as it was 4/5 passes later the goal was scored.
In addition my understanding of the rule also stipulates that where the defence can reorganise somewhat then the goal should be awarded.

Contrast with the Dessers goal and it was even clearer the defence had a chance to organise yet in identical instances the goal was chalked off.

The concern with good reason in OF games over the last couple of seasons we have had goals chalked off where without question the benefit of the doubt has always gone to Celtic FC and none to Rangers even at Ibrox with a partisan crowd.

Are you aware of any major goal defining incidents that have gone against Celtic FC in any OF game over the last few years.?

I “think” PGMOL have a slightly different stipulation on that with regards to when and where things can be brought back in comparison to IFAB

I assume the SFA still revert to IFAB

I said at the time of the Dessers goal, that probably stands in England but is disallowed in Europe…

It’s probably an issue with the way the English do it and how much English football were exposed to up here leading to confusion on interpretations

They are micro-analysis our goals, it is clear VAR is being used to suit one club up here, no point comparing with other countries.

Agree. Even looking at the handball situation from the scum sheep game. Why when they look and decide it’s no penalty do Aberdeen not get the freekick on that situation?
Because that’s not a situation where VAR can give a free kick…

The only way VAR in that situation could give a free kick, was if they’d initially given a penalty on field and then decided it was outside the box

I “think” PGMOL have a slightly different stipulation on that with regards to when and where things can be brought back in comparison to IFAB

I assume the SFA still revert to IFAB

I said at the time of the Dessers goal, that probably stands in England but is disallowed in Europe…

It’s probably an issue with the way the English do it and how much English football were exposed to up here leading to confusion on interpretations
That is a major issue.
Rules must be standardised.
On field rules that is.
Not necessarily for the amount of substitutes for example.

Reactions: TNT
The SFA would be spewing at that last night, knowing fully what would be heading their way now

Because that’s not a situation where VAR can give a free kick…

The only way VAR in that situation could give a free kick, was if they’d initially given a penalty on field and then decided it was outside the box
I know that but it’s a mental rule imo. It can however go back and award a freekick to Celtic in the situation I mention in the OP. VAR is great in theory but in reality still needs a lot of improvements imo.

I know that but it’s a mental rule imo. It can however go back and award a freekick to Celtic in the situation I mention in the OP. VAR is great in theory but in reality still needs a lot of improvements imo.
It can, because it’s related to a goal and the build up too it

They’re not comparable situations really, and we shouldn’t be getting to the point where VAR is awarding “run of the mill” missed free kicks - when they relate to otherwise match changing situations, I think it’s fair enough really

That is a major issue.
Rules must be standardised.
On field rules that is.
Not necessarily for the amount of substitutes for example.
In theory, it should only be an issue for English teams/refs going outside the country

Reality is of course, different

It can, because it’s related to a goal and the build up too it

They’re not comparable situations really, and we shouldn’t be getting to the point where VAR is awarding “run of the mill” missed free kicks - when they relate to otherwise match changing situations, I think it’s fair enough really
It’s not a run of the mill freekick in that situation though is it? It’s either a penalty or a freekick in a dangerous position?

It’s not a run of the mill freekick in that situation though is it? It’s either a penalty or a freekick in a dangerous position?
But it is in regards to what VAR can get involved in…

It’s either a penalty or nothing - and I don’t think that’s something that should be changing

Otherwise, how do you determine at what point VAR no longer gets involved in free kicks - you’d have OFRs every 3/4 minutes

It is. But those inconsistencies existed before.

the question is, should they look at that type of thing? Given so few goals are scored from corners, maybe the answer is no.

What about for throw ins when the players can through the ball into the box. What if they got the call wrong, should VAR look at that?

This is one I remember recently, start watching at 2:40:

One of those strange ones, where it’s not about the APP, but about a stand alone VAR check

That’s clearly an obvious error with regards to a red card, so that’d still be reviewed if the ball went out for a throw in/goal kick etc

Same with the one in AFCoN where they go back to a penalty whilst chopping off a goal

One of those strange ones, where it’s not about the APP, but about a stand alone VAR check

That’s clearly an obvious error with regards to a red card, so that’d still be reviewed if the ball went out for a throw in/goal kick etc

Same with the one in AFCoN where they go back to a penalty whilst chopping off a goal

I thought there was one in the African Nations, can’t remember it though.

But it is in regards to what VAR can get involved in…

It’s either a penalty or nothing - and I don’t think that’s something that should be changing

Otherwise, how do you determine at what point VAR no longer gets involved in free kicks - you’d have OFRs every 3/4 minutes
If it’s a penalty check and it’s deemed outside the box then award the freekick instead. I’m not suggesting freekicks in the midfield etc should be checked ffs :))

The internet will have been replaced before that event.
Actually, have the scum had a goal chalked off against anybody due to a VAR intervention?

Back