Heart on Hand Statement on Forthcoming Daily Record Story About Offensive Tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Edgar

Administrator
Staff member
We have today been informed that the Daily Record intend to run a piece on historic tweets made by voluntary contributors to Heart and Hand - some of which are over 10 years old. The journalist in question, Mark McGivern, has a long track record of dredging up such material in attempts to find negative stories about Rangers and its supporters. Nevertheless, if any offence has been caused, we apologise unreservedly.

Having sought legal advice, we have been advised that the tweets in question do not pass the threshold for any further action to be taken. We do, once again, apologise should anyone interpret the tone or content of the tweets to be offensive. It is obvious that these are not representative of the values and ethos of our beloved 150 year old club.

As you are aware, Heart and Hand has no formal structure and relies on a network of voluntary contributors. We have spearheaded a number of campaigns for social justice and are proud of the diversity of our contributors who come from all backgrounds. There are countless examples of men and women who will praise the Heart and Hand community for the benefit they have brought them in areas such as mental health and wellbeing, support and employability as well as isolation through lockdown.

Whilst we recognise that some of the historic tweets are regrettable, we note the continuing premeditated attack against Rangers FC and anyone associated with it. This situation was not borne of genuine offence but rather a desire to hurt the club and those associated with it.

Frankly, it says more about the Daily Record and how it views Rangers and its supporters than it does about us. We await fan media of other Scottish clubs being held to the same standard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your overall commentary on todays update was spot on David, and should be made public (in text or audio) to non subscribers just this once - so that it reaches a wider audience.

Can't believe they are now stooping this low.

Okay, can believe it.

If they want to publish tweets, maybe the DR will start publishing all the information found in @BN94 Spotlight Tweets.

Quite sad to dig through decades old tweets

But perhaps a prime example of what we're up against. Nothing we do will be good enough, for them a simple attack on our club is enough to suffice no matter how misleading it may be or the context.

I have a thread up from today concerning the very obvious and organised SNP / Police Scotland / Media assault against our club and supporters. If this doesn't convince Protestant / SNP Rangers fans that they still have time to change their vote, then it never will. They want you demonised, marginalised and eventually criminalised, as they do us Unionist supporters.

Historical comments judged by today's standards.

I hope the contributors don't suffer any personal hardship as a result of this witch-hunt.

We have today been informed that the Daily Record intend to run a piece on historic tweets made by voluntary contributors to Heart and Hand - some of which are over 10 years old. The journalist in question, Mark McGivern, has a long track record of dredging up such material in attempts to find negative stories about Rangers and its supporters. Nevertheless, if any offence has been caused, we apologise unreservedly.

Having sought legal advice, we have been advised that the tweets in question do not pass the threshold for any further action to be taken. We do, once again, apologise should anyone interpret the tone or content of the tweets to be offensive. It is obvious that these are not representative of the values and ethos of our beloved 150 year old club.

As you are aware, Heart and Hand has no formal structure and relies on a network of voluntary contributors. We have spearheaded a number of campaigns for social justice and are proud of the diversity of our contributors who come from all backgrounds. There are countless examples of men and women who will praise the Heart and Hand community for the benefit they have brought them in areas such as mental health and wellbeing, support and employability as well as isolation through lockdown.

Whilst we recognise that some of the historic tweets are regrettable, we note the continuing premeditated attack against Rangers FC and anyone associated with it. This situation was not borne of genuine offence but rather a desire to hurt the club and those associated with it.

Frankly, it says more about the Daily Record and how it views Rangers and its supporters than it does about us. We await fan media of other Scottish clubs being held to the same standard.
You could just ask them if they running that story about a historic tweet then why aren't they running a story about this historic tweet by a senior solicitor with Burness Paull and Celtic podcast contributior as well skysports scotland contribution Natasha Meikle ?

E-MEZGlXEAUeNLs

As a Sheffield Wednesday fan, I’ve started following and watching Rangers since I’ve been with my other half who along with her Uncle are bears. I was there on Sunday and found myself celebrating as hard as if Wednesday had beaten United.

Heart and hand is a fantastic pod and it is blindingly obvious as a fan of another club that the media have it in for Rangers.

Really hope these twats fall on their own sword and it backfires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back