Press Conference Hearts v Rangers - pre match press conference

I forgot one other point - when he referenced his time coming into Brugge for a rebuild, he talked about there being a core which allowed him to do additional things. But that the rebuild here is going to be bigger

You can infer from that there is going to be less of a core here than he had in his Brugge.

For perspective, Brugge sold their star striker, two left wingers, four centre back and their star CDM that summer.

My interpretation is that we are looking at some big names going out the door as well as the expected departures

Interesting to hear Ryan Jack is going to be available for a few minutes tomorrow and will probably be in contention to be a substitute in the cup final.
A half-fit Jack who can maybe give 45 minutes at Hampdump Is a better option than a fully fit, apparently, John Lundstram.
The good news from the press conference was that it seems Lundstram is also injured!!

I forgot one other point - when he referenced his time coming into Brugge for a rebuild, he talked about there being a core which allowed him to do additional things. But that the rebuild here is going to be bigger

You can infer from that there is going to be less of a core here than he had in his Brugge.

For perspective, Brugge sold their star striker, two left wingers, four centre back and their star CDM that summer.

My interpretation is that we are looking at some big names going out the door as well as the expected departures

I'm absolutely behind big Phil with this.

He has inherited a shambles.

One thing I would say is that he said the injury/fitness situation has been a vicious circle for a number of years so I don’t think it’s fair to put all the blame at Beale’s door.

It was clear as day there was a massive dip when Gio came in, I think we’re still suffering from that + recruitment.

I think it's abundantly clear that the fitness dropped off a cliff when Milsom walked out the door with Gerrard.

Gio got by until the end of the season on the back of the summer work in 2021 but since then it's been an unmitigated shambles for two years.

Mind the players moaned about Gio's pre season not being hard enough as well.

It'll be interesting to see if someone like Yilmaz continues to pick up regular injuries after a Summer with Clement - is it the player or our general preparation?

Everything connected with the footballing side of prior years should be removed. It's a new start.

Has anyone heard anything about how Tom Taylor has been getting on?

Wonder if he meant training is actually starting again in 4 weeks time or if that was just a number he threw out. Only a 3 weeks break for those staying, and he will want new players in by the as well.

Also him saying we’re coming to the end of a cycle and he wants it to end on a high. I think couple of big names who have been here a long while are offski. Maybe Tav or Goldson, Lundstram, maybe another couple behind the scenes as well.

Clement alluding to staff changes?
Also reiterating this desire to break this cycle of sustained injuries through out the squad, through out the season.

Gerrard came in and if memory serves made the players go through vigorous training sessions close season, in Spain? With many not lasting the pace!
Josh Windass for one.
But we hear this every season.

Gio got it in the neck, from Beale, and now its seems Clement alluding to once again, the players are not fit enough to play 3 games a week. So once again it's on the previous regime.

He also alluded it has been happening for a few seasons.
So how do we break this cycle for one?
And why has this not been addressed before by the board already?

It's not like we are reinventing the wheel!

Good to hear there is going to be a complete overhaul. The rebuild now has to be spot on.
We have heard this before.
And I don't doubt how sincere Clement is, but unless the board step up and recognize their failings, here nothing, for me, nothing is going to change here!
They have to listen and back him 100% of how we wants to implement change. However that may look. Or he may as well not even be here!

Wonder if he meant training is actually starting again in 4 weeks time or if that was just a number he threw out. Only a 3 weeks break for those staying, and he will want new players in by the as well.
Previously he added that the players will each have a program for there holiday period too BBB

Not sure how he knows what they should be doing given he doesn’t have his new staff in the performance dept but they re getting work plans

Also him saying we’re coming to the end of a cycle and he wants it to end on a high. I think couple of big names who have been here a long while are offski. Maybe Tav or Goldson, Lundstram, maybe another couple behind the scenes as well.
Given the monumental change , and that is how it appears it will be , he has to prioritise players who he has data on that cannot or will not stay fit . That has to be the first step because they cannot play a role next season .

And tbh it applies to about 70% of them

A really sobering presser today from the Manager it is clear what he was told may not be the half of it . I am glad he has strongly indicated he needs to cut back his involvement in certain tasks as it is too much that is a good thing that job can slaughter you . What that means is changes to the management and coaching functions too which he may have foreseen to a degree given he arrived with a single assistant in October . We can expect some new resource in there too .

I feel for him this is a huge challenge here and the club and fans need to really pull with him and his decisions .

Last edited:
And I don't doubt how sincere Clement is, but unless the board step up and recognize their failings, here nothing, for me, nothing is going to change here!
They have to listen and back him 100% of how we wants to implement change. However that may look. Or he may as well not even be here!
Surely we will have a lot a free wages.

The players leaving are amongst our top earners.

Also reiterating this desire to break this cycle of sustained injuries through out the squad, through out the season.

Gerrard came in and if memory serves made the players go through vigorous training sessions close season, in Spain? With many not lasting the pace!
Josh Windass for one.

Gio got it in the neck, from Beale, and now its seems Clement alluding to once again, the players are not fit enough to play 3 games a week. So once again it's on the previous regime.

I think he wants to go Carthaginian on areas of the medical and fitness section.

He says he needs to be able to delegate more, ultimately suggesting (imo) that there are people in positions already he does not trust or value enough to delegate to.

Clement has come across very well over the last few conferences, he was clearly protecting the players up until the loss last week.

He knows what the issues are and knows how to fix them.

You think there could be a technical director / DoF appointed with all of this change that’s being programmed .
For me there really has to be someone needs to drive so much change and much of it is technical in nature .

Clement has come across very well over the last few conferences, he was clearly protecting the players up until the loss last week.

He knows what the issues are and knows how to fix them.
The impression I got from these post OF pressers is they are a msn who is completely authentic .

At last he could turn to cold blunt truths after having to motivate and cajole a squad who do not have it .

They do but even if they ďo there are no guarantees it gets done properly. Get this one wrong and we're in trouble. So it's crucial the board and manager get it correct.

Interesting to hear Ryan Jack is going to be available for a few minutes tomorrow and will probably be in contention to be a substitute in the cup final.
A half-fit Jack who can maybe give 45 minutes at Hampdump Is a better option than a fully fit, apparently, John Lundstram.
The good news from the press conference was that it seems Lundstram is also injured!!
A Jacko screamer from 25 yards is just what we need next week B-D

Last edited:

Josh Windass for one.

I would be interested to see how many more games we have played than Celtic since the return from COVID - between the European qualifiers and European runs post Christmas id guess it must be about 25 or so... it can't help us having to play that many more games than them over a season.

I remember when he came in. and he said he was assessing all the players in the few months up to the winter break. Then that assessment after probably being told were was no money for transfers meant, he had to postpone the culling!
Now the time has come, and in order to do this we need to cut deep!
Real deep in my opinion, and as someone alluded to earlier that may mean many of the high payers going out the door first.
But seriously who is going to want them?

Goldson tried to hawk himself for one whole season, and in the end couldn't get any takers.
So Wilson not only gives him, an extension but a wage rise to boot!
Go figure!!

But seriously who, of our highly paid players, already on contracts, is going to want to leave for essentially less money, and for sure, at least, one step down?? (No European football unless a European club)

Clement is already on record saying he wants Butland to stay.
Maybe offering captaincy might sway Butland's mind?
Or is he going to make way, to pay for our huge rebuild??

I would be interested to see how many more games we have played than Celtic since the return from COVID - between the European qualifiers and European runs post Christmas id guess it must be about 25 or so... it can't help us having to play that many more games than them over a season.

Just as a comparison, Tav will have played 215 club matches in the last 4 season by end if the season.

Callum McGregor will have played 185 - but he also plays international football.

That multiplied across the squad is a lot of extra club football to be played, and the additional midweek matches create a lot of extra pressure on the players.

Just look at what Phil is saying today about August. 9 games for us, including 2 international travel matches. 5 games for them in comparison. That puts us on the back foot already in terms of preparation and rest time and having to chop and change the team etc.

It's not ideal really.

"You can say things, but you need to do things"
From Clement's press conference earlier.
Interesting phrase?

I will leave that there.

Just as a comparison, Tav will have played 215 club matches in the last 4 season by end if the season.

Callum McGregor will have played 185 - but he also plays international football.

That multiplied across the squad is a lot of extra club football to be played, and the additional midweek matches create a lot of extra pressure on the players.

Just look at what Phil is saying today about August. 9 games for us, including 2 international travel matches. 5 games for them in comparison. That puts us on the back foot already in terms of preparation and rest time and having to chop and change the team etc.

It's not ideal really.
I will never, ever, understand why Gerrard pretty much played Goldson and Tavernier 95-96% of the first two seasons? Probably 3 seasons.
Domestic and European.
Without a serious break for either.
Goldson especially seemed crazy to me considering the health issues he just suffered earlier.

You can also throw in Borna, and Mcgregor in there as well, for good company.
And as result in my opinion, arguably end up cutting their careers short?
Not only for us, but anyone else that they sign for next.
And we still didn't win the league till the third or fourth attempt??

The modern day footballer needs to be a machine, not human.

Just watched the YouTube press conference shared by @Craigie

Clement's barely concealed disgust at the state of the playing squad is there for all to see. Turns out Beale and his crew were complete chancers after all

Clement also mentioned having to delegate more as he's been too involved in things he shouldn't have to be. I personally have thought for some time he could maybe do with another first team coach of his choosing to support him.

He's inherited a shambles
Mcinnes?

Just watched the YouTube press conference shared by @Craigie

Clement's barely concealed disgust at the state of the playing squad is there for all to see. Turns out Beale and his crew were complete chancers after all

Clement also mentioned having to delegate more as he's been too involved in things he shouldn't have to be. I personally have thought for some time he could maybe do with another first team coach of his choosing to support him.

He's inherited a shambles
I always thought that there was another coach to come in, one who was Scottish/knew Scottish football.

I know Alex Rae is there but this was said with him already in the building kinda thing.

Back