High intensity press......

alex0212

Official Ticketer
Now to be clear, this is not a negative thread by any stretch of the imagination, merely an observation. It seems to me that as a team we invest an exceptional amount of energy in starting games with the intensity we have been of late. Does anyone else think that has resulted in us running out of steam in the latter stages of games, particularly of late. Klopp had a similar issue at liverpool in his first year because he didn't have the strength in depth to rest players when needed. My belief is that for this to work for the entirety of a game, we must make all 3 substitutions around the 60 minute mark and rest the most leggy players. Obviously this isn't practical because of potential injuries late on though.

Definitely plays a part. But it works for us so I'm not feeling changing it and like you said about subs. Not sure what we can do really, glad that's Gerard's problem and not mine

If we want to go flat our early on and keep it up then using subs is vital. Players can't keep it up for 90 mins. The players using the energy will be wide players and attacking midfielders. Their the ones who would need replaced for fatigue. Instead of say a jack who strolls has bursts of energy every now an again but in general strolls about keeping it calm.

Now to be clear, this is not a negative thread by any stretch of the imagination, merely an observation. It seems to me that as a team we invest an exceptional amount of energy in starting games with the intensity we have been of late. Does anyone else think that has resulted in us running out of steam in the latter stages of games, particularly of late. Klopp had a similar issue at liverpool in his first year because he didn't have the strength in depth to rest players when needed. My belief is that for this to work for the entirety of a game, we must make all 3 substitutions around the 60 minute mark and rest the most leggy players. Obviously this isn't practical because of potential injuries late on though.
subbing 3 on 60 is very high risk, Like if your keeper get injured or redded. Always prefer to keep 1 option open until the 80th at least to allow fo rthis

subbing 3 on 60 is very high risk, Like if your keeper get injured or redded. Always prefer to keep 1 option open until the 80th at least to allow fo rthis

The best managers in the world dont make 3 changes on the 60th min mark ever regardless of how the games going. If none of them are doing it I'm pretty sure it's not the best thing to do.

I don't disagree. Assuming we make 2 subs around the 60 minute mark, who in the first eleven do we think empties their tank earliest?

Get fitter.

The high press is key to winning games in modern football. All the best teams do it.

We did it in the two games we won against Celtic last season.

At Ibrox this season they did it to us and won.

It is no coincidence. This is how football needs to be played.

We just need the goals to come to finish teams off before we get tired but the high pressing is magnificent and the same with the passing.

The best managers in the world dont make 3 changes on the 60th min mark ever regardless of how the games going. If none of them are doing it I'm pretty sure it's not the best thing to do.
Warburton always made at least two at this point and that seemed to nah maybe no

Rangers currently have a better 2nd half (goals scored) ratio than 1st half.

Our recent form I'm putting that down to the slog of games which the club faces.

December was always going to be difficult, we all knew that when the fixtures came out.

Right now our problem is strength in depth, losing Davis is a blow, Kent is off form, the defence have worked their socks off since the start of the season and are feeling the strain of that.

The winter break can't come soon enough and the staff want it now.

With four more games to go before the break it's keep the foot down lads, then refresh and go again to May.

Tough schedule for Gerrard and the players taking into account the card our club was dealt in 2012.

Last season we suffered a bullet to the head after the break when Kilmarnock stole 3 points from us (Worrall to blame) and we didn't recover from it.

We have definitely improved and only time will tell if we have enough power and know how to deal with this season (without the dreadful Worrall thankfully).

Full points scraped in our next three coupled with a draw at the chamber of secrets would be enough to see us in a perfect position come the new year.

We all saw how better a team we were at Hampden against a weak lennon led side. Time will tell.

A result against the BHEASTS at the end of the month will put us in a fantastic position.

Last edited:
Get fitter.

The high press is key to winning games in modern football. All the best teams do it.

We did it in the two games we won against Celtic last season.

At Ibrox this season they did it to us and won.

It is no coincidence. This is how football needs to be played.
You are are bang on, mate. Been my mantra for years now and made that very point many times on here.

You need to follow the tactical element of our opponents better I think.

Aberdeen just boot the ball up the park. Cant employ a high press against that. We didn't really play a high press in that game as such, we dominated the ball in the first 45

Against celtic then high press worked remarkably well for us, until they got a red card. After that they changed shape and dropped everybody deep, booted the ball up the park and wasted time. They let us have the ball and just fire crosses in. There was nothing to press in the last 20 minutes.

Again versus YB, high press worked great for us until they made subs. They brought on a great target man and an extra forward later in the game and pushed more men forward. We then had to drop deep to pick up their greater number of advanced players. So we didnt have enough players forward to press them, and their long ball tactics were working due to the proficiency of their target man.

I get that players fade towards the end of the game, but in the 3 games this week, that wasnt the reason for the high press failing.

To use a high press properly for any great length of time you need naturally fit and athletic players.We have a few who are not in that category and are struggling a bit after the hour mark.The best exponents of the high press also have centre halves who are comfortable pushing up to the halfway line to condense the area the midfield players have to cover.Our CH's don't have the recovery speed to do this so they stay further back giving the pressing players more area to cover.

The high intensity press is not the issue.
It’s the poor options from the bench who can’t be relied upon to allow us to make changes or rotate players to minimise burnout.

All the best team play at this intensity , what they do is have periods of the game when they have rests to ensure a strong last quarter.
The way they rest is to drop the high press and go to maximum possession ,Barcelona are masters at it .
The problem we have is when we have our rests we give the ball away far to easy resulting in pressure from the opposition coming right back at us .
Someone we must get better at .
No team in the world can do this high press for the whole game its called game management.
Mind you if we pummeled a team for 30 mins then dropped into a possession game for 10 minutes to rest at Ibrox we tend to get on the teams back

You need to follow the tactical element of our opponents better I think.

Aberdeen just boot the ball up the park. Cant employ a high press against that. We didn't really play a high press in that game as such, we dominated the ball in the first 45

Against celtic then high press worked remarkably well for us, until they got a red card. After that they changed shape and dropped everybody deep, booted the ball up the park and wasted time. They let us have the ball and just fire crosses in. There was nothing to press in the last 20 minutes.

Again versus YB, high press worked great for us until they made subs. They brought on a great target man and an extra forward later in the game and pushed more men forward. We then had to drop deep to pick up their greater number of advanced players. So we didnt have enough players forward to press them, and their long ball tactics were working due to the proficiency of their target man.

I get that players fade towards the end of the game, but in the 3 games this week, that wasnt the reason for the high press failing.
Are you the special one?

Great analysis mate and I agree 100%

I think there's some 'fine-tuning' that could be done that would result in a slick fast switch from defence through the middle to attack - just as effective as a high intensity press - without high intensity stamina exerted for 90 minutes plus

We did this a lot during pre-season & there's been glimpses on a few occassions since - where Aribo has been one of the main instigators / catalyst / contributors

Watching this during pre-season - I thought this 'style' would be used more than it has been -

Yes but it if we were more clinical all 3ganes could be done by half time.

I think our game management should be a bit better as well in that regard, there's no way the team can keep up that intensity for 95 minutes so it should be measured because we looked out on our feet as the second half wore on.

Surely greg docherty should be utilised then for this? Guy could run for days. Don’t understand why he doesn’t even get a look in when we are playing jobbers like st mirren, st johnstone, hamilton etc. Not as bad as many on here make out.

Was honestly thinking the same the other night is it because we are going flat out early doors we are caught near the end of the game or switched off at times when trying to get oxygen back in the tanks.

It’s something we can over come though if we start getting the results mentally becomes quicker to recover and believe. Of course we have to come off the gas and make substitutions but it’s only natural that we do come off it a bit - not as much as we did against Aberdeen, Young Boys arguably as well.

im more worried about the players keeping it going in the latter stages of the season, i hope we can, we need to be using the squad players at every opportunity

You are are bang on, mate. Been my mantra for years now and made that very point many times on here.

Whenever we do it straight from kick off I always know we’re going to have a good game.

When we sit off and look timid, I begin to worry.

Yes, it does require a high level of fitness, but that is part of a footballer’s job description.

It’s pretty obvious that this is the case. We need to manage the ebb and flow better And when we have the ball not always go immediately for the jugular with high turnover risk interplay and instead keep the ball and probe away. The problem is that if we play like this when teams park the bus we play into their hands. But in Europe and against Celtic we need to learn to conserve energy through control to allow the press when you need it most, in rhe closing stages of the game.

Back