Highbury

Great stadium, its a shame all of these old stadiums are going, it will be a sad day for me if we leave Goodison in the next 5 years as planned, even though I know it has to happen if we are to progress as a club.

Sad to see these traditional stadiums are no longer around, give me them any day of the week over the new ones

Great photo,i did the tour at Emirates few years ago,an impressive modern stadium but just not a patch on the history and class of Ibrox

Great photo that one.

I think the Emirates is one of the better modern stadiums but there's rarely a decent atmosphere. More to do with the fans though.

Highbury, I’m sure was the only other stadium in the UK with listed status other than Ibrox. An iconic stadium, when you see such traditional stadium it seeps of history of the game. Pity they could not expand Highbury. When teams and fans come to Ibrox, especially European teams they know immediately on sight that it’s is a magical place, absolute footballing royalty! As high tech as the new stadiums are they can be soulless, set up for commercial use only!
There were 2 grounds that i thought when i got to the grounds i knew i was at somewhere "special" Goodison and Highbury in England and obviously Ibrox in Scotland

Last edited:
The only time I went to Highbury was 1967 pre season friendly. The Arsenal fans started chanting for that other lot then the bottles started flying.Lucky I escaped all the flying glass. Lost my mates later that night and had to hitch home I was 16 at the time great experience.

Highbury%2BStadium%2Bin%2BLondon%252C%2B1951.jpg

Highbury under lights 1951.

Arsenals second ever match under floodlights v Rangers in a friendly.

17th oct 1951
Attendance 62000
3-2 Arsenal.

Cool photo from reddit.
The pitch illumination is a bit patchy!

went to see Arsenal v Everton 1978 I think.2-2.It was actually quite a dull game con sidering the scoreline.It was a weird feeling standing watching the game as a neutral,smashing old stadium though.

Cracking picture. The contrast between pics of football stadiums of yesteryear and the modern builds is striking, imo.

Not every season. Here is a list of the friendly games played.

1933/34 Rangers 2, Arsenal 0 (Ibrox)
1933/34 Arsenal 1, Rangers 3 (Highbury)
1934/35 Arsenal 1, Rangers 1 (Highbury)
1935/36 Rangers 2, Arsenal 2 (Ibrox)
1936/37 Arsenal 2, Rangers 1 (Highbury)
1938/39 Rangers 1, Arsenal 0 (Ibrox)
1951/52 Arsenal 3, Rangers 2 (Highbury)
1953/54 Rangers 1, Arsenal 2 (Ibrox)
1954/55 Arsenal 3, Rangers 3 (Highbury)
1955/56 Rangers 2, Arsenal 0 (Ibrox)
1958/59 Arsenal 0, Rangers 3 (Highbury)
1960/61 Rangers 4, Arsenal 2 (Ibrox)
1962/63 Arsenal 2, Rangers 2 (Highbury, Jack Kelsey Testimonial)
1966/67 Rangers 2, Arsenal 0 (Ibrox)
1967/68 Arsenal 3, Rangers 0 (Highbury)
1968/69 Rangers 2, Arsenal 2 (Ibrox)
1973/74 Rangers 1, Arsenal 2 (Ibrox)
1980/81 Rangers 2, Arsenal 0 (Ibrox)
1989/90 Rangers 1, Arsenal 2 (Ibrox) (Zenith Data Challenge)
1996/97 Rangers 3, Arsenal 0 (Ibrox)
1996/97 Arsenal 3, Rangers 3 (Highbury, Nigel Winterburn Testimonial)
2003/04 Rangers 0, Arsenal 3 (Ibrox)
Pretty decent record against them, even if it was friendlies.

Lovely photo , the Emirates is a magnificent stadium bit like so many it's soulless, if we ever left Ibrox, even for a stadiumas good as Tottenham's new one i would be devastated.

Football stadiums have so much history to so many people , even folk from different countries that have only spent 2 hours in the stadium in their life will class those 2 hours as one of the top moments of their life (our fans in fiortenrina for eg).

I also love knowing that my grandad sat in the same Ibrox I did and celebrated with all his late friends .

I think it was tragic that arsenal left their home , a huge chunk of their identity was lost that day.

Anyway, sorry for the nostalgic ramble, the pic is beautiful and makes you think .

I know clubs have to move forward but there is something heartbreaking about leaving places like highbury, boleyn ground etc.

At least Arsenal moved to a purpose built football stadium a couple of streets away that was designed for them and is a good stadium despite what they have lost by leaving Highbury. Would be absolutely gutted to have been a West Ham fan having to leave the Boleyn to go watch football at the Olympic stadium.

It's still worth going to Highbury for a stroll to see the outside of the old stand,walk in the front door and then stand on the old centre spot.As posted earlier it's not totally gone. I spent an enjoyable hour the other year walking around and taking it in.

At least Arsenal moved to a purpose built football stadium a couple of streets away that was designed for them and is a good stadium despite what they have lost by leaving Highbury. Would be absolutely gutted to have been a West Ham fan having to leave the Boleyn to go watch football at the Olympic stadium.
Everyone knew the Olympic stadium wouldn't be conducive for football.

Been to one game there against Roma. Totti got sent off if I remember correctly. Was old and needed updating

It was a proper football ground and was there for the winterburn testimonial in 97 which was a great night.

Arsenal have never been the same team since the move to the Emirates and having been there again to see us play the place was pretty soleless.
Sure the game was delayed that night by a IRA bomb scare

Was this pic not released with the Follow Follow Mag a few years ago?

I gave it to my youngster who is a Gooner/Bear and it went straight up on the wall

He still has it

And a streaker, bloke though sadly. Took along a workmate Arsenal fan, tickets in our end, he was petrified walking up, ten minutes in he was singing the sash :)

It was a guy off our bus who streaked on the pitch that night,I remember Gazza pissing himself laughing at him he sadly died a few years ago

Back