How are they going to pull this off next Saturday

Personally I don't think we have a hope in hell for the final because too many players are simply going through the motions. Emotionally they've checked out and I refuse to believe they'll give it 100% and put their bodies on the line for a club they're leaving as soon as the final whistle goes.

We need to take drastic action and play Sterling at right back, they are clearly going to target Tav so the only other option is to play Sterling on the right wing to double up on him. McCausland is adding more to the team currently than Tav is and has earned his start.

Clement needs to try something different, if it is the same approach he will get the blame when we inevitably lose.

If I was in charge it would be something along the lines of;

Butland

Tav Souttar/Balogun Davies Ridvan

Diomande Sterling Raskin/Dowell

Cantwell Sima Silva

If we set up the way we have the past couple of games we’d be as well forfeiting the match. I like Clement but his stubbornness/unwillingness to realise what needs to be done in this fixture is frustrating.

Butland

Cantwell Sima Silva

If we set up the way we have the past couple of games we’d be as well forfeiting the match. I like Clement but his stubbornness/unwillingness to realise what needs to be done in this fixture is frustrating.
That's my thoughts on this as well. We need movement and pace up front, and in terms of ability on the ball those three have that as well. Tighten the midfield behind them. I would also think about Sterling in CB; his performance there last week wasn't quite given the credit it deserved, and perhaps he is a future CB if anything.

Why do some keep saying this?Regardless of how we feel about Tav,he isn't going to get dropped for the SCF ffs no matter how much crying you do .It's not even option as Sterling needs to be in the middle.
The good thing is Mcauseland has played himself into the team at RW, as you state, there’s not a hope in hell of Tav not playing, it’s pie in the sky stuff, so it leaves Sterling free to play elsewhere, though centre half may be the place if Balogun and Souttar don’t make it.

That's my thoughts on this as well. We need movement and pace up front, and in terms of ability on the ball those three have that as well. Tighten the midfield behind them. I would also think about Sterling in CB; his performance there last week wasn't quite given the credit it deserved, and perhaps he is a future CB if anything.
I’ve a feeling Sterling might need to play CB if Souttar and Balogun don’t make it. Would rather see him in midfield though.

The good thing is Mcauseland has played himself into the team at RW, as you state, there’s not a hope in hell of Tav not playing, it’s pie in the sky stuff, so it leaves Sterling free to play elsewhere, though centre half may be the place if Balogun and Souttar don’t make it.
He will absolutely be needed at CB if those two don't make it. What an end to the season!

The manager needs to mix it up but it depends as usual who he has match fit to choose from.
King shouldn't start so does that mean Sterling plays centre half?
Our full backs can't defend so can we go 3-5-2 (5-3-2 when we don't have the ball ). Again it depends if we have 3 fit centre backs.
I think many of us have been playing down the injury situation in order to have a go at the players and the manager lately. Some will say it's just an excuse but we are playing a different 11 every week and some players are probably playing at 80% fitness most weeks.
Anyway, it's a final. All we can ask is that the players make the other lot work hard and keep it tight. A hard fought 1-0 win will do.

I’ve a feeling Sterling might need to play CB if Souttar and Balogun don’t make it. Would rather see him in midfield though.
It was a very nuanced performance he had there, both in terms of positional sense, and anticipation; I wonder if CB might be his best position. He has to start next week, and if in the midfield I wouldn't mind that either, but not out wide.

After watching today most have chucked it .'doesn't bode well for next week
I would hope in a more competitive and meaningful game with something to play for the performance level will be higher, but looking at our performances against them we just %^*& it up for ourselves time and again and make it easy for them! I can only hope that the last game of this squad before it gets ripped apart as it should they could perhaps perform from the 1st minute, they know full well that they can wait for us to gift them a goal!

Given the state of the team under Beale, the signings we made and the injuries we have suffered I would say that it has been reasonable.
I’m not talking about Clement, I’m talking about the season as a whole.

I don’t think this has been a successful season. Any year we don’t win the league tends to be that way unless we’ve done something exceptional in Europe e.g. Seville.

What is it with all this "they" patter?
Just when did we start referring to our team as "them"?
And while I'm at it, what ever happened to the "No Surrender" attitude when our backs are against the wall?
I'm realistic enough to know that we'll be up against it next week but one thing's for sure, the team will need our 100% support on social media, phone-ins and letters pages in the build up and 110% at the game, particularly if we find ourselves a goal down.
One last glorious push and we can certainly finish the season on a high!
Well said. If you support a team then by all means criticise but this stuff is ridiculous. Also the "chancers", "wasters" "cowards" stuff does my head in.

We'll only pull it off IF the manager proves he's not a one trick pony, he's shown in his time here he's totally inflexible regarding his preferred formation, so expecting him to surrender the midfield again while scratching his head on the sideline.

Saying all that we're totally up against it anyway with this horrendous injury list, add the FIB's shenanigans, while getting influenced by the corrupt VAR.

It will take the mother of all efforts.

Well said. If you support a team then by all means criticise but this stuff is ridiculous. Also the "chancers", "wasters" "cowards" stuff does my head in.
Have you not been watching us . We always back the team and we do our job , it's the players who bottle it every time

By playing 10 of our supporters instead?
At least they would try!

Seriously, it doesn,t bode very well for next Saturday.
Most of our players are already in their heads, on the beach!
The players are playing in a cup final. They might not be good enough but I doubt they are thinking of their summer holidays.

It he voluntery sticks with these players which I doubt you can start your new manager search now, if these players refuse moves from the club then they should be training with the youths.They can't be allowed to pollute the place any longer.
Souness and Smith would have had them out the door.

This is Clements chance to do that, he has been here long enough to see whats needed.

It was a very nuanced performance he had there, both in terms of positional sense, and anticipation; I wonder if CB might be his best position. He has to start next week, and if in the midfield I wouldn't mind that either, but not out wide.
Totally agree mate. Hes verging on being our best player now and we’re nullifying him by playing him wide right. I get what we’ve tried to do by playing him up against Taylor but it hasn’t been effective enough.

I hate to say it but we will lose next Saturday, because Celtic are much better than us in almost all areas of the pitch, we lack belief, we lack determination, we lack ability, we are lagging behind them in almost every aspect of the game, throw in the fact that their confidence will be sky high, they play better football at pace, and they can make accurate 10 yard passes to one of their own.
Lets face it they dont have to try too hard to score against us, we gift them goals regularly by poor defending, failing to track runners, and generally just being shit at the back. We will lose next weekend, wish it was over with now.

Our squad isn’t the greatest but injury’s to our defence is our downfall , we are having to take midfield players out of their position and potentially play at the back, and dessers although he has improved in the past few months is missing an incredible amount of changes in games . Like others have said I reckon they will target tav with pace , tav has looked a shell of the player he was for us . I hate being so pessimistic , hopefully I’m wrong .

I came on here hoping to see some talk of we can do it and it matters to us, sad to see how far we can fall in a few weeks.
I personally think we have it in us to piss them off and win by at least 1

Phil has to cut his losses and drop those who won't be here next year - the fans would back him I'm sure as kids trying is a damn site better than one more abject performance, even if we take a hiding.

We'll go two goals down. Maeda will terrorise Tav for the full game.

We'll start to play and maybe nick a goal.

The game will fade out and the scum will rack another trophy.
And here's something even more disheartening than that probable turn of events...

If we surprised everyone and dominated early on and took a deserved lead....you just know we would lose it after the first bit of sustained pressure.

That said, come Saturday morning I'll be citing every upset from the 300 Spartans onwards to convince myself that we'll lift the Cup.

Phil has to cut his losses and drop those who won't be here next year - the fans would back him I'm sure as kids trying is a damn site better than one more abject performance, even if we take a hiding.
The only ones definitely leaving though are Roofe, Lundstram, Borna and probably Jack, and I can’t see any of them starting anyway.

The only ones definitely leaving though are Roofe, Lundstram, Borna and probably Jack, and I can’t see any of them starting anyway.
Oh there's a good chance John starts and then Jack comes in for a desperate cameo. I honestly can't believe we have come from a league win and European final to this. The mismanagement of the board is beyond incredible.

You’d imagine Sterling has to play CD. Lundstram will be back into the middle of the park.

Shame, as really need Sterling in the middle of the park.

Irrespective of the final outcome I want the manager to be brave.

To make tough decisions and let us see a glimpse of the future.

The same faces playing the same role, resulting in the same outcome won’t wash.

Yes his options are extremely limited but Clement has been lauded for his adaptability, let’s see some of it on Saturday.

This has been one of the most depressing threads I have read on here since the days of the rats in charge.

Butland

Cantwell Sima Silva

Dowel should be nowhere near this match - he’s not the type you’d want in the trenches beside you

Butland

Cantwell Sima Silva

Dowel should be nowhere near this match - he’s not the type you’d want in the trenches beside you

Butland

Cantwell Sima Silva

The problem with the 4-2-3-1 comes when the 3 and the 1 can’t fashion a decent chance or fluff it when they do.

We sacrifice the midfield to accommodate this and the 4 at the back just give away cheap goals too regularly.

We’ll either need to be very lucky that enough players bring their top game on the day or Big Phil will need to change the shape to try and strike a blow.

A meek, passive display will not instil confidence moving into next season.

I think most of us just want to see some intensity from the first minute.

Sadly we dont have many options in there, I do t want to see Lundstram again after his shambolic performance at the piggery, and Raskin hasn’t exactly grasped his opportunity either

I know people want Sterling in there but we might need him at centre half, we absolutely cannot have Leon King starting the game. Hopefully Balogun or Souttar make it though

Same way we could
Pull it off any other time, strong midfield, no defensive mistakes take chances, most of all have belief... so we have no chance!

Lundstram will start.The manager pretty much alluded to that in the presser after the filth game.

Keep 11 men on the park (although ironically we've done better with 10)

Be robust.
Wait for them to tire themselves out as they have every time, take our chances and be at it in our own box as well.

It would help if the officials actually do their job this time as well.

I fully believe we can win this, if you don't think we have any chance then why would you go?

Back